DirecTV announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And thank you again for informing us all. Dude, really, what is your deal. If there is anything ever stated that is pro D* you like to jump on it, usually with a pile of doo doo. I really thought that you had learned by now that you have been flat out wrong so many times that no one is listening anymore. What is it that you do that makes you feel like you are in the know. Whatever it is I suggest you get out of it and get into selling used cars.

Here is you for you questioner. Name one cable company that even has the same HD channel lineup in their service area?

As far as local hd networks, there are plenty in my area. Comcast, fios, for example both have more local hd networks than directv in the boston area. In my case, they offer pbs and cw, as well as some sub stations in hd, but in many areas, providence for example, cox and fios offer twice as many local hd channels than directv in that market.

If you are talking about national networks in hd, let's stick to the topic at hand.

As far as local hd networks, there are plenty in my area. Comcast, fios, for example both have more local hd networks than directv in the boston area. In my case, they offer pbs and cw, as well as some sub stations in hd, but in many areas, providence for example, cox and fios offer twice as many local hd channels than directv in that market.

If you are talking about national networks in hd, let's stick to the topic at hand.
If you can upgrade me to Fios,I'll take it. I spent a few minutes with a nice Verizon rep. But Fios in my area is atleast 2 years out,Sadly.

Especially considering directv's lackluster coverage of pbs and cw

Maybe their lackluster coverage has something to do with CW and PBS' lackluster ratings. I, for one, would rather they used the space to give someone else the big four locals, than give me access to the lame shows on CW and the PBS beg fest.

Maybe their lackluster coverage has something to do with CW and PBS' lackluster ratings. I, for one, would rather they used the space to give someone else the big four locals, than give me access to the lame shows on CW and the PBS beg fest.
I agree, PBS give me a break! I wouldn't care if PBS dropped off the entire lineup.

In Boston, the only network to carry new episodes of jeopardy and wheel of fortune is the cw affiliate, so those shows are not available in a huge market in hd. And they are big ratings grabbers. I imagine this is the case in other markets as well.

You know, I come to this thread to see if there are any new HD local announcements and what do I find? A bunch of freaking anti-D* nonsense. Seriously, "Questioner" with no answers, shut the heck up. Another perfectly good thread ruined by a bunch of freaking nonsense that is completely off topic.

You know, I come to this thread to see if there are any new HD local announcements and what do I find? A bunch of freaking anti-D* nonsense. Seriously, "Questioner" with no answers, shut the heck up. Another perfectly good thread ruined by a bunch of freaking nonsense that is completely off topic.

I'm taking it off-topic? I've been trying to keep it on the topic of hd locals since my first post. Believe me, I'm quite happy if the discussion stays about directv's local hd offerings, or lack thereof.

"Kudos for leading the pack in HD nationals."

Kudos for trying to take this thread off-topic.

It's great directv is meeting its hd local goals, if those goals are playing a slow game of catchup with other providers.

Well here in Tulsa I get all my local channels in HD, both from D* and an antenna. If I was with Cox cable here I could not get that many to record.

i'm still waiting for those charts, Q!

As soon as I see the charts showing how directv's hd local coverage is unprecedented compared to other providers.

But really all you have to do is look at the complete chart of directv locals in all the dmas. There are still many markets missing major networks. Then google to find whatever other cable and broadband providers there are in that area. A vast majority of the time you will find these other providers have more networks, if not, at least the same number.

Satellite tv's local packages are lame. Bottom line. Cable in my area gives you about 2- 3 of each local networks. Satellite just one of each at best! Here's my local options,
Blue Ridge Cable:
ABC 6 Philadelphia
ABC 7 NY
ABC 16 Scranton HD
CBS 2 NY
CBS 22 Scranton HD
NBC 4 NY
NBC 28 Scranton
FOX 5 NY
FOX 56 Scranton HD
CW 9 Chicago
CW 11 NY
CW 38 Scranton
PBS 13 NY
PBS 44 Scranton
PBS 46 NY
MY NETWORK 9 NY

Directv:
ABC 16 Scranton
ABC 16 Scranton HD And it sucks, Constant freeze, dropouts.
CBS 22 Scranton
NBC 28 Scranton
FOX 56 Scranton
FOX 56 Scranton HD
PBS 44 Scranton
CW 38 Scranton

Dishnetwork
ABC 16
CBS 22
NBC 28
FOX 56
PBS 44
CW 38 All Scranton NO HD !!

Why can cable have all that but Satellite can't? I bet its bandwidth, Not rights!

Last edited:
I wonder if D* has technical issues being that in the location where I live, Comcast and Dish both are connected locally. My area DMA is 181 (Charlottesville, VA) but from what I've read, nobody in VA has HD. Either it's politics or technical ineptness. Just my guess. BTW, the local stations have everything ready for them to connect - they just haven't. Maybe it has to do with the buyout?

I imagine this is the case in other markets as well.
In my market, Green Bay, WI, they are on the local Fox affiliate, which is available in HD only by antenna, bad owners. At the same time, the other "major" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) are doing local news. Questioner, you have provided just two shows in one market as to why all markets should have otherwise lame CW and PBS programming. What other shows on CW are popular? List all of the popular shows on PBS (Here they are ----------- -Done). One market out of how many? Believe it or not, there are other people in this world besides you, other markets besides yours, AND (sorry?) more opinions than just yours.

I'm taking it off-topic? I've been trying to keep it on the topic of HD locals since my first post.
PERHAPS you missed the title of this thread? It is hidden in bold letters at the top of every page. 'Cause I'm a nice guy, I've included it below for Questioner's benefit. THAT is the topic, not who has more CW, PBS, and other mostly useless channels.

Directv announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

In my market, Green Bay, WI, they are on the local Fox affiliate, which is available in HD only by antenna, bad owners. At the same time, the other "major" networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) are doing local news. Questioner, you have provided just two shows in one market as to why all markets should have otherwise lame CW and PBS programming. What other shows on CW are popular? List all of the popular shows on PBS (Here they are ----------- -Done). One market out of how many? Believe it or not, there are other people in this world besides you, other markets besides yours, AND (sorry?) more opinions than just yours.

I don't have to. PBS has been an institution of tv for decades, particularly around cities like Boston. It may not be your cup of tea, but to suggest PBS is not an important channel for a ton of people is pure ignorance, particularly for educational institutions and children. Many families would rather have pbs than fox. Plus they have some of the best looking hd programs out there. Ever heard of sesame street? Do you know what kind of ratings it gets?

PERHAPS you missed the title of this thread? It is hidden in bold letters at the top of every page. 'Cause I'm a nice guy, I've included it below for Questioner's benefit. THAT is the topic, not who has more CW, PBS, and other mostly useless channels.

Directv announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

PBS is useless? Right. I watch a lot of entertainment and sports myself, but you can make a strong argument that there plethora of educational and children programs are more "useful" than any entertainment series. As I mentioned, CW's primetime lineup is not exactly a ratings killer, but they are important carriers of many syndicated shows now in hd, as well as local sports in many dmas. They are also a network in transition, after a series of mergers, I'm sure they will only attract more and more viewers in the coming years.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)