DirecTV announces new local H/D DMA's(Local HD Programming In 76 Markets by Mid-2008)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Toledo, Ohio!!!!! LOL They will never get a signal with all the potholes they have in the streets, They work like little dishes and bounce the signal back into space...

Hey now, Whats the matter with Toledo ?
Whens the last time you were here ?
If it was in any summer , then you know they close all streets in the summer and fill all the pot holes so that when winter gets here the snow can fill them again, it's a recession proof job !

My pint is that Toledo was 68 when it all started ... now they are 70 or maybe 72 ..... many cities have been lit up before Toledo, unfortunately

Jimbo

:confused:
My zip is 57006. I am roughly 55 miles away from my local stations so I can pick up the HD signals over the air. My main issue is that out local Fox does not broadcast in HD. The NFC playoffs and the Super Bowl are on Fox and I will not be able to watch it in HD. Needless to say, I'm pissed. Why will D* not give me the East Coast feed of Fox if my local affiliate does not even broadcast in HD? $1700 for my 50" Plasma, $300 for the HR-20, and HD programming fees on top of it. And I will not get to see the Cowboys back in the Super Bowl playing in HD!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I live just 14 miles south in 57017 and have gone through this fiasco with FOX KTTW in the last month. I don't get ANY FOX signal OTA -- SD or HD! I called Mr Bennett at KTTW several times and complained about granting a waiver -- was going to call every day -- but gave up.

Nothing D* can do--is up to the local station.

At least your OTA SD FOX is bettter PQ than the fuzzy blurry local from D*.

Ought to start a SE SO DAK D* User's Group and picket KTTW

I just spoke to Paula Hersh of WWBT, the local NBC affiliate in Richmond, She said that they have had an agreement with DirecTV for a number of years now to broadcast in HD. Is the holdup at D*?

E* announced on Jan 7 that Richmond, VA local will be in HD.

DISH Network to Expand HD Line-Up in 2008: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

I got an email from WRIC, the ABC affiliate in Richmond. He also confirmed that DirecTV has contracted permission to broadcast their HD signal for over a year.

I can tell you this, when I move to Hampton Va in March, whomever has HD locals gets my business. If its Cox, oh well. I gotta go with what I watch most.

Ive subbed to the cox thread on avs and they are pretty much done with sdv and should have many more hd's online soon, plus ext storage for the dvr. Dish and Direct's advantages are dwindling since cable is getting on the ball, the launch holdups just might cost them more than time.

It isn't necessarily that spot-beams are configurable on the fly. Norfolk was announced to be available by the end of 2006, yet it still isn't available in 2008. As a matter of fact, four other markets announced that would be available by the end of 2006 are still not available, and that includes Des Moines, where all affiliates have carriage contracts available.

So, it is a technical problem or a bandwidth/pointing problem that is causing DirecTV to announce smaller markets.

After they launched Tyler tx I guess the smaller market theory is gone. Something is wrong with the spot beams.

grydlok said:
After they launched Tyler tx I guess the smaller market theory is gone. Something is wrong with the spot beams.
Forget the fact that Tyler was launched with two channels. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton is almost the same size market, and it was launched with two channels a month ago.

KUDOS to DirecTV - it looks like they will blow past their announcement of having 76 HD locals markets lit by mid 2008 (June?).

They lit their 77th this week and it is only mid-February!

:(I'm still waiting for the Sioux Falls HD locals!! Is there a list anywhere on projected dates?

CEV

how can you say kudos to D*. Half of those 77 DMA's dont have the CW or any stations owned by LIN. Just another marketing gimmick to make there stats look good.

Kudos - first for OVER achieving their stated HD lils goal and doing it 4 months EARLY.

Kudos for leading the pack in HD nationals.

Kudos for giving their customers a 'heads up' as to what their plans are.

Are the other competitors doing ANY of the above right now?

head ups? I was promised my locals back in OCT of 06. Still waiting, if its issue with having to pay LIN it cant be but so bad if both fios and cox can shell out money to carry them. D* seems to have the out of sight out of mind idea with norfolk.

Are the other competitors doing ANY of the above right now?

Is that really a fair statement when most providers are not national. It makes little difference to individual directv subs what directv is doing on a overall nationwide basis when other local cable and broadband provders are offering more of their local channels in hd. And yes, while I can not provide a realistic figure, excluding those in very rural areas with no providers at all, on a per sub basic I would figure it's well more than 50 percent the case that there is another alternative besides directv that offers just as many if not more local networks in hd. Epsecially considering directv's lackluster coverage of pbs and cw, and their trouble with LIN.

Directv should stick to trumping their national sports packages, because local channels in hd is not where they have the advantage over competition.

head ups? I was promised my locals back in OCT of 06. Still waiting, if its issue with having to pay LIN it cant be but so bad if both fios and cox can shell out money to carry them. D* seems to have the out of sight out of mind idea with norfolk.

Think back and remember if D* said that your locals would be up, or your locals in HD ?
Are your locals SD up ?

Toledo locals in SD ARE up, have been for awhile now.

Q. The LOCAL ARE where D* directed thier efforts in order to be able to compete with the local cable companies.
REMEMBER most cable companies are LOCAL, making locals much easier to deal with.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts