DirecTV App and Genie Tuner Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Randle

Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
St. Louis
After years of Uverse IPTV, I just switched to DirecTV service (Genie HR54, two wireless minis). I have a couple questions, very distinct from each other, that perhaps someone here in this customer forum could help me with.

1. DirecTV Mobile App
• I was very familiar with the Uverse Mobile App (OS iPhone version), which I used primarily to view the guide while away from home to see if there was anything interesting to watch that day, and to schedule a recording of a show if there was. When choosing to record the show via the app, it gave a confirmation message and, if my memory serves correctly (I can't recreate now because the IPTV service has been disconnected) a red "dot" would appear. If I would go back into the app later in the day and navigate in the guide to that show, I'm pretty sure the red dot appeared next to the title and if I would select it, the next screen would show that it was scheduled to record and give me a choice to change the recording options, cancel the recording, resolve conflicts, etc. Also, the Uverse app allowed me to go in and see what was scheduled to record on the DVR. This was true whether or not I was on a wifi connection or over cellular. I downloaded the DTV app and was playing with it last night while out and about. While I was able to record a show and get a confirmation message, when I later visited the guide and navigated to that show, there was no indication that I had scheduled it to record. In fact, I chose to record the Chiefs game 3 times because it kept giving me the option to record the game. I would have expected to see an "already recording/scheduled" and an option to cancel, if anything. When I got home and went to the DVR, sure enough, it had recorded 3 times. I didn't see an option to go into the mobile app and see what was scheduled to record on the Genie either. Is it just that the Uverse app is that much more robust/advanced than the DTV app, or am I just not understanding the DTV app enough?
2. Tuner Question
• I understand that although the Genie model I have (HR54) has 5 tuners, the two wireless minis reserve 2 tuners. My understanding sort of fades there, and yes, I have read several threads in this form, but still am not grasping. I'm not afraid to come off looking like an idiot, so here goes: do the minis only reserve a tuner if they are turned on? Does that mean that if both Genie DVR and mini clients are on, only 2 shows can be recorded (i.e. - 3 separate shows being watched live [DVR, mini, mini] and two other shows not being watched recorded. And that if I turn off one mini, then live shows can be watched on the DVR and the other mini, leaving 3 tuners for similtaneous recording? Turn off both minis and now I can watch show on DVR and record 4 shows simultaneously? Sorry, I don't mean to make this question convoluted but I do wish to get an understanding of how the tuners work in case I'm ever faced with the situation and try and resolve recording conflicts. If just removing a mini from the equation (turning it off) frees up a tuner, then that would be helpful to know.

Thanks for reading,

Randle

Reactions: Spike
Yes turning off a mini frees up a turner so if both were off then u have a total of 5 tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Thank you csloan1981. I appreciate that confirmation. Now if I could just figure out the DIRECTV mobile app and online guide, I'd be set. Just went to the online guide through my computer, set a show to record, but, like the mobile app, it isn't showing in any playlist anywhere. I figured perhaps the online.com version of the guide would be better and, like Uverse, I could at least see what was scheduled to record by using the playlist. Apparently not, or I'm just really out of it.

it used to send an email verification when you used the app or online to schedule a recording

last few times i tried online, or via app, it didnt work

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts