DIRECTV app and streaming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
I cannot seem to make this work. Cannot stream to my iPad in the house or to my iPhone out of the house. The info menu says my iPad and iPhone are connected to the receiver, however both iPad and iPhone say the are not connected to the receiver. I have internet connection working at the receiver as I can download on demand content. I tried to restart the receiver doing a red button reset, still does not work. The error I get says 'it looks like you receiver is already in use or is streaming to another device." Any help is appreciated. Never had this issue with my sling on dish.

This app in very finicky for some people.
The best thing to do delete the app and start all over.
Sometimes certain router settings can set things off the wrong way.

I've been saying this for a while, the DirecTV app is total garbage and the updates they make have not improved the app one bit, even when it works it crashes every few minutes, and I end up watching the stuff on other apps of those programmings after authenticating my DTV subscription.

Their Dev team is incompetent.

When I first started with the app, it was difficult to get everything set up, but once everything has been set up everything has worked great for me when I've used it.
AND I have my Locals now !!!!!!!

Is it possible there is a larger issue going on? Last night I opened the app to download a few shows that recorded to my HR44 last night and those shows wouldn't even show up on my tablet app's playlist. It still had shows that I had watched and deleted days ago. Now the app won't let me stream shows I downloaded on Thursday (error says "DVR streaming is currently unavailable" even though these are downloaded shows. Doesn't work if I turn off my WiFi connection either). Also, when I tried to log in to DIRECTV's website, I get to the screen that asks whether I want ATT (cell phone) or DIRECTV, but when I select DIRECTV it then tells me that my user id and password aaren't found.

I cannot seem to make this work. Cannot stream to my iPad in the house or to my iPhone out of the house. The info menu says my iPad and iPhone are connected to the receiver, however both iPad and iPhone say the are not connected to the receiver. I have internet connection working at the receiver as I can download on demand content. I tried to restart the receiver doing a red button reset, still does not work. The error I get says 'it looks like you receiver is already in use or is streaming to another device." Any help is appreciated. Never had this issue with my sling on dish.

To start with this app is not the greatest and DirecTV doesn't really care to much to here them tell it. Which is why you have come here and not gone to them (the ones you are paying for the service) because you have a better chance of getting help from fellow SatelliteGuys. In full disclosure I'm paying them for their service too.

Now I have questions for you:

What DVR do you have?

Do you have a wireless router or an access point, meaning are you on the same network as the DVR, or a separate network. If you are using a router you are most likely on a different network. I have heard that UDP port 1701/LT2P is used for some of DirecTV VOD stuff, which could lead to issues if using a wireless router with built in firewall. This service SHOULD be UPnP and open ports ass needed but Who knows.

Is your DirecTV DVR on wireless, wired, using a broadband DECA or cinema connection kit. Or do you have a network patch cable plugged straight into the DVR?

Let these geniuses here know what you have and how its hooked up, and I bet someone will have some constructive input for ya :)

What's frustrating is that my GenieGo really worked pretty flawlessly and had better features for me personally. I rarely streamed live, but mostly downloaded shows for offline viewing. I understand why they eliminated the GG, but still...let me download shows from my other DVRs. Fix the app so it doesn't crash and reset the show I was watching back to the beginning. Fix the app so I don't have to delete it and reinstall it every so often. Don't restrict movies that I recorded on free weekends to at home via the DVR only.

As for my setup, I have an HR44 with Internet plugged into the ether net Jack directly from my router. I have a single wifi router in my house with strong signal throughout my home. I mostly use my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 as the device is use the app on. I also have an HR24 currently in the mix. Everything works until suddenly it doesn't. I hate having to reinstall because it removes all of my auto downloads.

This is a feature that they put marketing dollars into to promote their service. Why not make it work?

Reactions: BigRyan
What's frustrating is that my GenieGo really worked pretty flawlessly and had better features for me personally. I rarely streamed live, but mostly downloaded shows for offline viewing. I understand why they eliminated the GG, but still...let me download shows from my other DVRs. Fix the app so it doesn't crash and reset the show I was watching back to the beginning. Fix the app so I don't have to delete it and reinstall it every so often. Don't restrict movies that I recorded on free weekends to at home via the DVR only.

As for my setup, I have an HR44 with Internet plugged into the ether net Jack directly from my router. I have a single wifi router in my house with strong signal throughout my home. I mostly use my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 as the device is use the app on. I also have an HR24 currently in the mix. Everything works until suddenly it doesn't. I hate having to reinstall because it removes all of my auto downloads.

This is a feature that they put marketing dollars into to promote their service. Why not make it work?
All very legit points, but we have to complain to them enough before they are going to care. The problem here is they really would prefer you use the service natively because they fear the inevitable. We (meaning most of us) will soon stream EVERYTHING and not need to pay them at all. So as more and more people "cut the cord" they are offering this (for lack of a better word) pile of crap as a way of being able to say "Yeah, we have streaming too" which is only half true.

Anyway, since you are connected to the DVR with an ethernet cable, your DVR is probably not the issue at all. You might check that the wireless and wired connection are on the same network though (might help the app from getting confused). To be honest I ran the app on an Android TV box and after 3 Forced quits and re installs, I have gave up. They need some real work in the software development department but don't hold your breath. Since we are on the complaining train, I might as well add: Why is there no way to backup the DVR schedule when you change or upgrade a box? I don't care to backup DVR recording, (all-though in the year 2017 this should be possible) We should be able to use the "app" and backup our settings, Schedule, Custom favorite list, etc.

It seems like the app does better when pulling data from the internet then from the DVR, or maybe it doesn't "really" pull data from the DVR at all and instead streams everything from the internet. Who knows what they are doing with this "app".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts