Directv app for Android Tablets (finally ) but ......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RLDreams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Ok so Directv finally released an Android tablet app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.directv.navigator&feature=sear Unfortunately it seems that it is incompatible with even some high end tablets. The description claims it is compatible with tablets running 3.1 or higher, yet it will not download to either my Dell Streak running 3.4 Honeycomb or my Motorola Xoom running 4.0.4 ICE because according to Google Play
" This app is incompatible with all of your devices." :mad::mad::confused::confused:
So exactly what devices is it compatible with ? After years of ignoring Android users ,DTV now release an app that even those of us with high end ( albeit a couple years old ) tablets can not use. Sorry DTV, but I am not going out and buying a new $800 Galaxy tablet just so I can stream content in my house.
Has anybody else tried, had any luck with this ?

Nice!

I just went to the play link and the app is not compatible with either my GNex phone, running Jelly Bean 4.2.2, or my Nexus 7 tablet, which is also on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. What is the point DTV?

Thanks for pointing this out.

i really don't know what their problem is. you got this issue and they don't like it when you run their app on jailbroken ipads either. that's always a pain in the ass.

Just got a "reply" from DTV , as expected it is useless boiler plate that does nothing to answer my question about exactly what android tablets actually are compatible

DirecTV Hi Randy, thank you so much for your feedback. Please know that at the moment our Android App is only available for live TV streaming. However, as we further develop this product additional capabilities will be added. Thank you, -Charles

Still on the Google Play description of the app it shows full remote control over wifi (like oh so many independent/3rd party apps available ), dvr scheduling like the phone app and streaming of content like the old D2pc .

Mine says NOT compatible with my Galaxy Note 2 AT&T. It is compatible with my Asus Transformer Prime (TF201T). Both devices are running a form of Jellybean, so I'm not sure why one works and the other doesn't.

Code:
This app is incompatible with all of your devices.

VIZIO VAP430
This item is not compatible with your device.

Logitech Revue

T-Mobile LGE Nexus 4

Asus Nexus 7

T-Mobile HTC HTC Sensation 4G

Ok, so only 1 of these is a tablet.. but yeesh....

i really don't know what their problem is. you got this issue and they don't like it when you run their app on jailbroken ipads either. that's always a pain in the ass.

Not for me.. directv app on Ipad works fine pal.. :D

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just installed this on my Asus TF300T and it appears to be working just fine. But I can't figure out how to watch anything other than streamed movies. Where's the "watch live TV" part? And why can't I watch stuff I've recorded now that I can see the playlist on each of my DVRs?

**edit**
ok I found "watch Live TV" and it's their sandbox of channels I don't watch. I still can't watch anything streamed off MY HR34 or HR24. I can see playlists on both DVRs and can "play on TV" but can't watch on my tablet. Remote? Yeah... but I already have an app that does this and looks more like a DTV remote :).

All in all it's a pretty app, but so far, pretty useless.

Last edited:
I use Directv remote by wired dpw, and it works great, shows what is being watched on every box/tv and I can even have fun tormenting people by changing the channel on any tv. I have the daughter's roomate convinced either the TV is possessed or her 1 yr old has learned how to change channels and has a clicker hidden somewhere because I just randomly change the channel on her tv, or start playing something off the dvr on her tv from the comfort of my couch next door.
Imagine the psychological warfare LOL

**edit**
ok I found "watch Live TV" and it's their sandbox of channels I don't watch. I still can't watch anything streamed off MY HR34 or HR24. I can see playlists on both DVRs and can "play on TV" but can't watch on my tablet. Remote? Yeah... but I already have an app that does this and looks more like a DTV remote :).

The reports on XDA are that the app works just fine on N7 (just side-load the APK), but according to comments on Engadget DTV apparently excluded 7" tablets from the compatible list.

I just installed this on my Asus TF300T and it appears to be working just fine. But I can't figure out how to watch anything other than streamed movies. Where's the "watch live TV" part? And why can't I watch stuff I've recorded now that I can see the playlist on each of my DVRs?

**edit**

On my phone, I use DirecTV Remote Control by JustinJ. It has all of the functions of the D* remote, as well as showing me what's playing on my favorites, and I can use it to control either of my DVRs. On my tablet, I use Cognitial's DirecTV Remote + Volume Test. First, I tried the free version, then bought the Pro for $3. Made a suggestion to the developer, and he came out with a version that lets me control my Onkyo AVR (he did Denon, too).

Another thing I really like about the Cognitial one is that I could place shortcuts for my favorite channels right on a window (one for the mini-guide as well, which is a guide for the favorites). I can pull up the mini-guide or change to one of my favorites without having to load the app. The mini-guide shows what's on now and what's on next.

I don't really see this D* app as being any better than any of the others. One downside of it is that the remote function doesn't have a power button.

It works on my Samsung Tab 8.9. Still waiting on DVR recorded streaming though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts