Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV Applauds FCC Closure of 'Terrestrial Loophole'

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jan 20, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV issued the following statement today: "The FCC's order today eliminating the terrestrial loophole is a big win for consumers and fair competition in the marketplace. We vigorously applaud the FCC for recognizing that withholding cable-owned regional sports networks from non-cable competitors significantly hinders competition and is anti-consumer. We are looking forward to offering DIRECTV customers the local sports programming they have been denied for so many years."

Does this mean that finally Prism/comcast Philly will be on Directv if so I will be very very very happy.

Does this mean that finally Prism/comcast Philly will be on Directv if so I will be very very very happy.

IMHO, that means that they can't say a flat out no, but they will have to negotiate the rights to carry the channel and how much they have to pay for access to it.

IMHO, that means that they can't say a flat out no, but they will have to negotiate the rights to carry the channel and how much they have to pay for access to it.

Indeed. If I were a betting man, I would bet on lots and lots of "VS issues" with the impacted RSN's across the space. Comcast would much rather hold fast on a price increase universally, then give up a subscriber base to DBS.

Finally, someone stands up to the Dolan's! Hopefully, the NY teams center ice games will be in HD soon.

Hopefully, but this decision may not have anything to do with hd carriage.

In NY/NJ it has EVERYTHING to do with HD carriage. VZ and ATT have been denied the HD feeds for MSG and MSG+ for years.

As I posted in the other thread, however, I strongly suspect the Dolans will drag this through all kinds of court hearings.

OTOH, I doubt very much this will have any impact whatsoever on Center Ice.

I have cousins that work for ComCrap Philly, don't think that it will be held p for the Satcos at all...beeing looked at close!

what are you saying that your cousin thinks comcast will not be on satellite Is he in the management dept.
I want to hear Ray Diddy on Sundays after the game and watch all philly sports news

From PaidContent.org:
It sounds like programmers won’t be able to fulfill the FCC’s ruling with standard definition only; HD has to be included. Cablevision has been holding back its MSG Network in HD, drawing complaints from Verizon.

So it looks like the ruling does include HD content.

CableVision responded in that same article:
While we find the legal basis for the decision unfounded, we are pleased that the FCC recognized the value of Cablevision’s local programming strategy and investments. Verizon and AT&T will not receive an FCC bailout that will allow them to capture News 12, MSG Varsity and other programming that we have developed for our customers. We are also pleased that despite the phone companies’ overwhelming lobbying effort, the FCC has ensured a complaint process. If the phone companies complain that they are unable to compete, we are confident that we can prove that it is for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with HD sports programming. Verizon and AT&T do not need a regulatory bailout in order to compete.

what are you saying that your cousin thinks comcast will not be on satellite Is he in the management dept.
I want to hear Ray Diddy on Sundays after the game and watch all philly sports news

No, not at all, sorry, I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to my typing. Yes he works in upper management, says that they are being looked at to practice fair business with D* & E* so they are going to try to push things through quickly. I for one couldn't be any happier! Just think, Phillies Locker Room , all the good Philly Sports stuff. I stated before the end of the year that all I wanted for Christmas/Channukah, was to get my Philly Sports RSN. Now soon, maybe some of the freakin Sixer games will be in HD. THe last couple of games that we got from the Comcrap feed were in Blind-O-Vision.

I am looking forward to the seeing the hockey games on VS. Does anyone know if there is a rough time frame on when we will see the changes?

Tell your cousin to hurray up baseball is around the corner It would be great if they had it up before the NFL draft.

Does this mean I'll finally get Fox Sports New England?

I don't think so. We had it here for awhile in Cheshire, but the covered territory changed a couple of years ago. I don't think this is the same issue.

Does this mean I'll finally get Fox Sports New England?

Technically, there is no such channel anymore. It is now Comcast SportsNet New England.

Comcast SportsNet New England shouldn't be affected by this ruling, unless they are withholding the channel from providers. CSNNE is available to all providers, as far as I know. It just blacks out programming based on location, which is a totally different situation.

it sounds like alot of these channels come from the East. What about the west like cable exclusive 4SD in San Diego?

EDIT: my bad... found the answer in the Dish forum.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)