DirecTV begins working on broadcasting Ultra HDTV signals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
How long does it take to get a new bird from concept to space? It could be D* is attempting to determine what it's next sats must be capable of. They may also be anticipating a future round of contract negotiations where some providers (perhaps one that starts with D and owns several expensive sports channels) demand that their programming be carried in this ultra HD format or they will pull rights to carry any of their channels.

as for forcing ultra HD that may be a long time off as there lot's of old HD boxes and SD boxes that can't view it cable is even more stuck with old hardware and (most systems are just roll out mpeg 4 hardware or have a very few mpeg 4 channels)

D* needs to replace some the older sat's and maybe thing about getting rid of SD mepg 2. They can move the SD only channels to mpeg 4 (dump the dupes of sd and hd. (just have a HD feed).

as for forcing ultra HD that may be a long time off as there lot's of old HD boxes and SD boxes that can't view it cable is even more stuck with old hardware and (most systems are just roll out mpeg 4 hardware or have a very few mpeg 4 channels)

D* needs to replace some the older sat's and maybe thing about getting rid of SD mepg 2. They can move the SD only channels to mpeg 4 (dump the dupes of sd and hd. (just have a HD feed).

They could, but that would mean replacing MILLIONS of mpeg2 boxes. New satellites are cheaper, for now.

Until every bleedin' channel that's available in HD is up and running on DirecTV, it should STFU about any new standard.

And that goes double for the marketing joke of the decade, 3D.

You are absolutely right. DTV is only interested in providing the "latest and the greatest" gadget but never interested in customer values such as providing decent content (i.e. more HD programming). I have a HD plasma TV and it's been wasted on SD channels which I do NOT care to watch. Instead, DTV is more interest in luring newbie in with marketing hype like "ultra HD" just to trick new batch of bagholders into signing on to a contract.

You are absolutely right. DTV is only interested in providing the "latest and the greatest" gadget but never interested in customer values such as providing decent content (i.e. more HD programming). I have a HD plasma TV and it's been wasted on SD channels which I do NOT care to watch. Instead, DTV is more interest in luring newbie in with marketing hype like "ultra HD" just to trick new batch of bagholders into signing on to a contract.

Interesting ....

The majority of the people here have all the HD channels that they watch.

Theres are only a few that I watch that are not in HD already (BBCA).

I would rather have High Quality over quantity any day of the week.

So you are saying you didn't find out what channels were offered in hd by Directv before you signed up?

I'm sure DirecTV has a customer that would gladly pay for Ultra today.

Charlie Ergen! ;)

LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)