Directv C31 RVU Receiver for HR34 HMC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
So how inconvenient is it to perform the equivalent of trick play functions on the H25? I'm so used to just hitting pause or rewinding live tv a couple of minutes if I miss something with Dish. With the H25c I know you have to record what you're watching then you can do trick play. Does it record it from the beginning of the show or just from that current point forward? If it only records from that point forward, it would be pretty useless for me. I need it to essentially perform as a live tv buffer where I can go back 30, 60, even 90 minutes if needed. If it's only able to pause and resume from that point, then it may be a deal breaker.

Get a HR24 instead then.

Hello everyone,

I have thought long and hard about the C31. The only circumstance that I would use one is when I need to have another independent television but I am up against the tuner limitation for my satellite situation (swm 8 with 8 tuners used or swm 16 with 16 tuners used). Other than that I think the C31 is a parasitic device removing a tuner that could be used for viewing or recording a show or shows. :rant:

How does using a C31 keep you from using a tuner? It's still there and available to record with.

How does using a C31 keep you from using a tuner? It's still there and available to record with.

The C31 takes a tuner from the HR34 so as example I have 4 football games set to record at 11AM. If I had a C31 hooked up that free tuner I can use on the HR34 or the C31. Now I live alone so no biggie but if you have a spouse/kids/hooker whatever at your house and they want to watch TV now you can't flip to those other games you decided not to record

So it uses one remotely and therefore it's not available at the HR34, it that what you are saying? That part I get.

But only when you're watching something on the C31 live.
correct. But again I go back to the point above.
There are times where I may have 5 things recording or have 4 and flipping between the rest. Yesterday was a great example. Had 4 games recording at 11:00AM. So if I didint live alone and lets say my nieces were here. Well the oldest wants to know about the newest teen mom or some trash show about Snoofy's new baby. The middle one maybe wants to watch something else in the bedroom. Well I've got 4 things going so they can't split the last tuner ;) If I had a H25 in the bedroom it would be ok

I live alone and maxed out the 5 yesterday and would have today for the noon football games. I shutter to think what someone with kids or a spouse does

I live alone and maxed out the 5 yesterday and would have today for the noon football games. I shutter to think what someone with kids or a spouse does

My spouse and I rather easily got along just fine with a 2-tuner Dish 622 for years. We rarely had any recording conflicts... and many of those were easily resolved by recording the repeat/West-coast airing of the program 3 hours later (ie. shows on TNT, USA, etc)

Even then we could often record more TV than we could watch.

college football games dont repeat 3 hours later ;)

being a college football and college hockey fan I like to record games to go through them on my time. Same with NFL games yesterday.
College football I might be able to get by since some were on OTA but it would be very hard to go back to just two sat tuners :)

I like the ability to ff through games, but if it's a Giant football or Yankee game, I almost feel like I am cheating. Besides, since the game is usually over by the time I watch it, I can't affect the outcome! :)

Let me know if I missed something

Advantages the c31 has over the h25
- has full dvr function ( access to the to-do list, double play, trick play on live tv, etc)
- half the size of the h25 so easier to hide
- has built in rf antenna
- can watch am21 channels live from the hr34
- pull caller id from the hr34
- access to the vod library
- can work as a wireless receiver by connecting it to a cckw via coax ( as far as i know is not a directv supported setup)
- doesnt take any more swm ports as it uses one of the hr34s tuners.

Advantages the h25 has over the c31
- has its own tuner
- can view and schedule recordings on any dvr on the mrv setup ( supposedly c31 can do this later on?)

Last edited:
Let me know if I missed something

Advantages the c31 has over the h25
- has full dvr function ( access to the to-do list, double play, trick play on live tv, etc)
- half the size of the h25 so easier to hide
- has built in rf antenna
- can watch am21 channels live from the hr34
- pull caller id from the hr34
- access to the vod library
- can work as a wireless receiver by connecting it to a cckw via coax ( as far as i know is not a directv supported setup)
- doesnt take any more swm ports as it uses one of the hr34s tuners.

Advantages the h25 has over the c31
- has its own tuner
- can view and schedulerecordings on any dvr on the mrv setup ( supposedly c31 can do this later on?)

The C31 is an extension of the HR34,it sees what the HR34 sees(except for recordings from other DVR's right now). If you schedule a recording,it is for the HR34 only. The H2x receivers give you the choice of which DVR to record a particular. My HR2x DVR's don't allow me to schedule a recording on another DVR(unless I'm missing something),I imagine the HR34 doesn't either,ergo if the HR34 doesn't do it,then the C31 doesn't do it either.

The only circumstance that I would use one is when I need to have another independent television but I am up against the tuner limitation for my satellite situation (swm 8 with 8 tuners used or swm 16 with 16 tuners used).
In that rather unlikely event, DIRECTV would surely install additional switchgear. You would need to be pretty serious about recording (and multiple backup recordings) to require more than 16 recordings+live viewings at once but it is certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

This product missed the most important, wireless. As was stated a non supported option...Why? Uverse is wireless, why not support it. I'm not even looking at another wired product...Come on. That why everyone buys apple product as they lead in new ideas and do not go backwards....What a waste.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts