Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV announced the C51 client receiver to their tech teams this week and will start using the C51 on installs starting on the west coast as a field trial and working to nationwide use, a rolling change as C41 inventory is exhausted.

A couple notes of interest from that communication:
  • Please note there is no wireless version of the C51 at this time. Wireless installations will still require the C41W.
  • Identical functions and capabilities to the C41; however, the C51 capitalizes on lessons we've learned from our manufacturing processes to allow this new client to be produced more efficiently.
  • Because the C41 and C51 function identically, technicians should be able to seamlessly transition to using the C51.
So there you have it, the C51. As I read it, cheaper to manufacturer and likely no noticeable performance improvements.

More efficient doesn't necessarily mean cheaper... not that I have any idea yet other than the info already posted.
If it wasn't cheaper to manufacture or they would likely have bailed on the newer design. You don't put a lot into re-engineering and retooling for a product not to make it back in manufacturing savings.

If there's no performance or new features, why not just put a sub number ie) C41-400 or something. A whole new number means a new generation like faster CPU or 4k support I would think.

If there's no performance or new features, why not just put a sub number ie) C41-400 or something. A whole new number means a new generation like faster CPU or 4k support I would think.

The subnumber on DirecTV boxes indicates the manufacturer..

Right, but if -200 is Samsung and -700 is pace, then how about -220 Samsung and -720 Pace , for this revised model.
The C41 designation would simply mean same exact case and capabilities. Now if the shell is redesigned, if its a different size, if it has other features or a different (faster) processor, then yeah change the main model number.
So a C41-200 or a C41-220 would basically be the same thing but the -220 would be Samsung's revised model.

That's my thought process on it.

Maybe the 51's can do 4K though?

Got a box yesterday. It feels ever so slightly lighter than the C41 or C31 but I don't have a scale accurate to this light weight. It also looks like they are designed for a future bracket and could be wall mounted without a bracket. I checked it in the existing C31/C41 bracket and it fits just fine.

I have not activated one yet to see if anything there changed or if it will work with the RC72 out of the box unlike the the last few C41s I had.

For the techs they now come in a box of 24 and they are not individually boxed anymore. Have to totally redesign the way I store them in the van...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412897046032.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412897046032.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 894
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412897063217.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412897063217.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,430
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412897076513.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412897076513.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 619
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)