Directv Com1000 I’m building

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Not done putting this together yet, but wired all the switches yesterday.

I think I did almost 200 connections

IMG_4648.JPG
IMG_4649.JPG
IMG_4650.JPG
IMG_4651.JPG
IMG_4652.JPG
IMG_4653.JPG

So is there no chance this com system will ever need to access the Reverse Band for programming since you're using old analog SWiM-16s and not the new DSWM-30s?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

So is there no chance this com system will ever need to access the Reverse Band for programming since you're using old analog SWiM-16s and not the new DSWM-30s?

Isn't the COM1000 really old? I'm sure it doesn't support 4K anyway. The 95/119 stuff currently mirrored on reverse band will go to Ka before 95/119 go away, so a non-4K setup will never have to access reverse band.

Customer bought it off eBay and asked me to hook up it.

Likely no on the reverse band stuff, but I wired it anyways.

The cards in the com1000 only work with the SWM16 I was told. I was not taking the chance it not working trying to use a SWM30 considering I had about 200 Connections to make

Building that is the easy part.
It's all the authorizations for the 24 x 2 channel blades that's going to take time.
Then the QAM muxing and distribution next!!

doctor j

OK, so if I'm reading the manual on the COM1000 correctly ...

Now I see you've swapped out all the "COM24FLX" DIRECTV receiver cards (i.e., the SWiM only ones with the single tuner input port) in the first photos. For "COM24" cards (indentified by the two tuner input ports capable of supporting both legacy or SWiM modes).

But on the latest COM200 chassis you added at the bottom with only 11 COM24 receiver cards, a couple of questions.

Did you choose to use what looks like just a straight Ethernet card in the vacant COM24 slot for the system management connection instead of the usual management Ethernet ports on the far left?

And have you just not yet added the QAM6 modulator card to this newest COM200 chassis yet?

Why did you connect the two flex ports on the SWM16? If there's a 95* dish then you could use one of them, but from what I understand the SWM16 can't use the two new outputs from a reverse band legacy dish so it seems like you have some unnecessary splitters and unnecessary cabling there.

Was that done to make it easier to upgrade to DSWM30 down the road? If so, why not just use DSWM30s now instead of SWM16s, especially if you are so short on SWM16s you are having to pick them up from forum members? :)

From post #4 Claude said he'd been informed the old COM24/24FLX receiver cards used in the COM1000 system were not compatible with the DSWM-30 switches.

And yes, as confirmed by dr. j, who I remember thoroughly tested it ...

The SWiM-16's Flexports definitely DO NOT work on the RB outputs of the legacy SL-5RB LNBF.

So not sure why Claude decided to wire up both lines 5 and 6 to the -16s ....

As presently configured (i.e., after adding the QAM6 modulator circuit boards to the latest COM200 chassis at the bottom).

Up to 70 ("Pro:Idiom" equipped) TVs ....

I thought it would be unlimited if it's cable like QAM...basically a mini headend...

I thought it would be unlimited if it's cable like QAM...basically a mini headend...
You're right, it is ....

Major screw-up on my part ...

As I should have said it's like having (in its present configuration) a 70 channel cable system on the customer's property.

And the number of TVs is only limited by the size and cost of the particular cable RF distribution system from the head end, and the number of Pro:idiom capable TV sets and/or set-back-box decoders the customer is willing to purchase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts