Directv contract with Fox networks coming up...AGREEMENT REACHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wouldn't even know that these channels went away unless I read about it here. I haven't watched any of them in months. Don't have a single one of them in my favorites list.

Now who is lying?

I'm going to say Fox News is lying (would not be the 1st time).

Fox says Directv won't keep paying the same price.
Directv says Fox wants a 40% increase, but Fox says "This is not true".

ourpromisetoyou.com
keepmynets.com

DirecTV sent us a proposal on the afternoon of Tuesday, October 18. They gave us no chance to respond before taking an unnecessarily aggressive posture and going public. It is disappointing that they have chosen bad faith tactics over meaningful negotiation.DirecTV says Fox Networks wants a 40% increase. That’s just not true. We have proposed to keep Fox Networks on DirecTV for the same price, and on the same terms as they are currently carried while we attempt to work out a fair agreement. Unfortunately, DirecTV has decided unless they get their way, they are going to pull your favorite networks, shows and sports programming.
You promised DirecTV you’d honor their contract. In exchange, you should expect to get the programming you paid for. Call DirecTV, ask them what they are going to do about it.
Starting on November 1, DirecTV will no longer carry FX, FSN, SPEED, National Geographic Channel, FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes, FUEL TV and Fox Movie Channel.

daily-update-icon.png
[h=1][/h]
  • Most people are used to inflation and paying slightly more for things they use every day. But no one in their right mind would agree to pay 40% more for those very same items. FOX has challenged our 40% claim as “ridiculous.” Well, they’re exactly right, it’s a ridiculous increase. They can deny whatever they want, but every time we do the simple math, the increase works out to be 40% above and beyond the nearly $1 billion per year we already pay them today. If FOX thinks 40% is “ridiculous,” then we can agree on something.

Last edited:
There are many ways to present numbers.

For example, if D* had 15% more subscribers than they had when they signed their last agreement, or if some of these channels were contracted at a fixed price, and now Fox wants them to pay for both more subscribers and for a 20% price increase, the total D* is paying could be 40%.

If so, then D* would be correct in saying that they are now paying $1B a year and Fox wants a 40% increase to $1.4B. Yet Fox would be correct in insisting they were not seeking a 40% rate increase, for perhaps $150K-$200K is due to having more subs and $200K-$300K or whatever is due to a rate increase.

I would like to now IF INDEED Directv drops those channels, will we see any reduction in our monthly bill?

Last edited:
Highly unlikely that there would be a rate decrease if these channels are dropped.

1) No one knows for how long they would be dropped. If for just 1 month, then the cost of announcing and implementing first a rate decrease then a rate increase would be crazy. Same for 2 months or 3 months. They would get many complaints about any increase after a decrease.

2) If they go away permanently the best we could hope for is for a reduction or elimination of next year's rate increase. For many other channels & networks will be charging more by then. These increases would likely eat up the savings from dropping the Fox channels.

I would like to now IF INDEED Directv drops those channels, will we see any reduction in our monthly bill?

If they drop them and you call in and bitch about it, they'll give you something. The go-to is $10 off per month for 6 months. If you have hockey issues, you might get them to give you Center Ice (that's what they did when Versus was dropped).

If Directv (and any other company that says " we are here to protect the customer by not giving in.....".) I call bull!!
Reduce my bill immediately when and if these channels are yanked Directv!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they'll go away permanently. Probably for a few weeks like the Dish-Fox dispute last year.

A few weeks? That started the first week of the NHL season and didn't end until baseball started. So well over 6 months. I remember it well as it's how I ended up with DirecTV. Unfortunately now I'm under contract and can't switch so easily.

if the NBA lockout soon, DTV is dead! i am piss about losing hockey but i don't think it is the money maker as the NBA is

I am surprised that some have missed what is special about DirecTV pulling things Nov1. Yes, it puts them in control, but what about that puts them in control? The point in time on the calendar is the key. November sweeps begin October 27 and run through November 23, 2011. I am sure DirecTV is banking on the idea that Fox would prefer not to loose so much viewership during a key ratings period.

I hope DirecTV -- and us subscribers -- get a deal for the HD of the Fox channels only being carried in SD. Fox Movie Channel HD. Nat Geo Wild HD (though I haven't seen a list stating that particular channel is in danger of being loss with a fallout in negotiations).

:rolleyes: We'd probably get a four-day (or maybe one-week) Sneak Preview period of the HD Extra Pack. :rolleyes:

The interesting thing is that we all want D* to hold their prices down.

But the only way they can do this is to be tough in negotiations with networks and channel providers.

If D* (and E*) gave in easily in these talks, all of the channels would hike their prices and our rates would go way up.

Thus I support D* being tough. And if it takes booting these channels off for a while, then do it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)