Directv contract with Fox networks coming up...AGREEMENT REACHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not saying that they aren't telling the truth about wanting out of D* what they are getting out of other providers. Showing the books would prove nothing other than that they are in fact paying what Fox claims they are. The issue is that in order to get those other "deals", Fox has held the channels hostage and used them as leverage to EXTORT the higher rates out of the providers.

What should really be released is the minutes from the "negotiations" that led up to these "deals" with other providers. That would make for some interesting (and telling) reading. They'd go something like: "Fox Cronie: You have nothing to offer us because we already have your balls in the vise. If you want the channels back, you're going to pay the rate that we want."

Last edited:
Can't wait till the NEXT Network negotiations come around. :)

None of us have any idea what the others actually agreed apon and like Matt said, how much the OVER PAID to be able to keep them.

DirecTV complains to FCC about Fox

[h=2]Satcaster alleges misleading advertising[/h]By Andrew Wallenstein

DirecTV fired off a letter to the FCC accusing News Corp.-owned Fox Networks of employing misleading advertising in their carriage dispute. In a letter to FCC chief William Lake issued Thursday, Derek Chang, DirecTV executive VP of content strategy and development, also knocked Fox for bad-faith negotiations.
"Fox is clearly abusing the public trust by its deliberate attempt to confuse and alarm consumers," Chang wrote. "Such conduct is certainly not what the Commission had in mind when it made Fox a steward of the nation's airwaves entrusted to serve the public interest."

Source & More: variety.com

I love when someone who has no idea what they are talking about posts troll crap like this.

Sorry, wasn't aware you have been sitting at the negotiating table for News and DirecTV.

The comment from the DirecTV suit was simply an attempt to pander to the simple minded. That seems to me to be the wrong tone to be taking. If DirecTV wants some sympathy, it would have been much easier to feel sympathetic for them if News had pulled the channels, instead of DirecTV threatening to stop transmitting them. Just because DirecTV doesn't get sympathy doesn't mean News corp deserves any. I can not imagine any circumstance that would lead me to feel sympathy for News Corporation.

JerseyMatt said:
I love when someone who has no idea what they are talking about posts troll crap like this. You really think D* hasn't already tried being civil? You really think they haven't counteroffered? If that's the case I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

I think this line from what Yaz posted is incredibly telling, and further bolsters my comments about negotiating with a certain type of people (which have been deleted because someone claims they are political for some reason). It's not just this deal that D* is thinking about, they are showing that they aren't going to take crap from any content provider that comes to the table spewing unreasonable demands. Because if they cave in to one, the vultures will start circling.

And how exactly has Fox come to the overinflated deals that they have with other providers?? That's right kiddies, by yanking the channels and holding them hostage until the provider caves in to their demands. Is it sinking in yet? Fox has successfully bullied other providers into paying what Fox wants, so they think they can do it to everyone. And now because D* is resisting, all of a sudden they are being made out to be the bad guy. I can't believe that anyone with a brain would take Fox's side on this.

How does this make him a troll?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

[h=2]Satcaster alleges misleading advertising[/h]By Andrew Wallenstein

DirecTV fired off a letter to the FCC accusing News Corp.-owned Fox Networks of employing misleading advertising in their carriage dispute. In a letter to FCC chief William Lake issued Thursday, Derek Chang, DirecTV executive VP of content strategy and development, also knocked Fox for bad-faith negotiations.
"Fox is clearly abusing the public trust by its deliberate attempt to confuse and alarm consumers," Chang wrote. "Such conduct is certainly not what the Commission had in mind when it made Fox a steward of the nation's airwaves entrusted to serve the public interest."

Source & More: variety.com

Is a lawsuit next, it seems like the thing these companies do most when another says something not correctly.

Fwiw, the announcements on the main FOX network is very misleading IF your not paying attention, seeing it's ON the main Network, the avg. sub thinks that it's THAT Fox network that they are removing non Nov. 1st, the other thing is, it stated that D* IS pulling the channels, not that they COULD pull them.

Sorry, wasn't aware you have been sitting at the negotiating table for News and DirecTV.

The comment from the DirecTV suit was simply an attempt to pander to the simple minded. That seems to me to be the wrong tone to be taking. If DirecTV wants some sympathy, it would have been much easier to feel sympathetic for them if News had pulled the channels, instead of DirecTV threatening to stop transmitting them. Just because DirecTV doesn't get sympathy doesn't mean News corp deserves any. I can not imagine any circumstance that would lead me to feel sympathy for News Corporation.

Yes they'll get all the sympathy in the world when they get bent over by Fox and are forced to pay the higher rates to get the channels back, and PASS THE HIKE ON TO YOU. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, you're with Charlie. He bent over last year.

God you people are pigheaded. I hope you never are put into a situation where you have to negotiate something that involves 20 million paying customers, because you obviously don't care about the ramifications of a stupid move (which is exactly what giving Fox the upper hand would be). Ain't your money, so you'd just pass the buttf**king on to your customers, right? Yeah. Thought so.

Now about that beachfront property.. It's a great deal I tell ya. You know you want it.

Last edited:
I really hope a deal gets done, I have a feeling that it won't and I'm glad Direct is standing up to FOX. I just don't want to lose some of my favorite shows over it.

So how does this effect nhl center ice? I live in the detroit area and am a diehard red wings fan. will i still be able to watch the games on center ice?

I have read that it would affect ci and I have read or won't maybe a seasoned person will chime in

As far as November 1st I am going to take a wait and see approach. It will stink to miss out on some wings games if it happens. If it does I will politely call direct and see if there is a "programming credit" available.

I'm starting to think that maybe this won't get done, why, because the MAIN FOX network is not involved, its all the "Other" stuff they do.

Well have to wait and see ....
Remember, D* didn't say they were puling the channels on Nov. 1st, FOX is aying that D* will.
At least that's what the TV advrtising is saying.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

While this immediate dispute is between D* and NewsCorp, it is really a bigger problem. I blame the leagues, team owners, players, etc. Their demands are what ultimately drives cost us for everyone - just look at what it costs to actually go to a game!

If we lose channels, so be it. Programs I like get cancelled all the time. Life goes on. Use it as an opportunity to enrich your life in some other way!

It's just a game of 'Blink'. The deal will get done, and the irony is that there will be a non disclosure agreement preventing either side releasing the details of the agreement. I can pretty much write you the press release if you like.

It's just a question of whether some channels go dark for a week or so while the posturing continues. From what I'm hearing, the answer to that is 'no'.

It's just a game of 'Blink'. The deal will get done, and the irony is that there will be a non disclosure agreement preventing either side releasing the details of the agreement. I can pretty much write you the press release if you like.

It's just a question of whether some channels go dark for a week or so while the posturing continues. From what I'm hearing, the answer to that is 'no'.

Totally agree. Everyone's getting all worked up over something that may or may not happen. If it happens, fire away at both of them, but in the mean time sit back and watch tv.

I still get the N.Y and LA feeds for Fox since we don't have a local Fox network. Will this be affected?
I'm not getting Dish for Fox channels since there picture quality at my house sucks and I allready pay over 200 a month for D* .

How many times does it have to be said?

LOCAL FOX NETWORKS ARE NOT AFFECTED. THE LIST OF CHANNELS (POTENTIALLY) AFFECTED HAS BEEN POSTED NUMEROUS TIMES.

IT IS CERTAIN FOX RSN'S (THAT'S REGIONAL SPORTS NETWORKS), FX, AND SPEED CHANNEL. THAT'S IT.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts