Directv contract with Fox networks coming up...AGREEMENT REACHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A few weeks? That started the first week of the NHL season and didn't end until baseball started. So well over 6 months. I remember it well as it's how I ended up with DirecTV. Unfortunately now I'm under contract and can't switch so easily.

????????? It only lasted about 30 days. My sanity could not have taken it for much longer.

A few weeks? That started the first week of the NHL season and didn't end until baseball started. So well over 6 months. I remember it well as it's how I ended up with DirecTV. Unfortunately now I'm under contract and can't switch so easily.

????????? It only lasted about 30 days. My sanity could not have taken it for much longer.

Are you guys discussing the VS dispute or something else ?

I find it interesting that the Fox networks are streaming on the DirecTV iPad app. I would have thought that with this issue pending that they would have waited until something was settled to put them on.

Are you guys discussing the VS dispute or something else ?

Fox Sports, not VS.

You know what...you're right. They yanked something like 30 or more NHL games off my local RSN as the start of the dispute (which is when I made the switch to DirecTV), which escalated into them yanking the entire channel right before baseball started, which was restored in about a month.

JerseyMatt said:
If they drop them and you call in and bitch about it, they'll give you something. The go-to is $10 off per month for 6 months. If you have hockey issues, you might get them to give you Center Ice (that's what they did when Versus was dropped).

I would agree with this that if they pull the channels and you call. Probably get some kind of programming credit

First off, NOBODY has lost ANYTHING yet. 2nd the NBA is nothing to D* as far as the overall picture goes.
you wouldn't think if the NBA start on time there will be more outrageous to get deal done! for me i hate or like the NBA but i do think the NBA have to put a rush a things

As far as I know, E* still is in a dispute with MSG. I am into year one of a two year contract, even if I could leave IF I lose the Sabres, where would I go?? Time warner is a no go for me, so I have no choice. I wouldn't leave if I could, love D*!!

I feel this will be settled before anything is lost. It is too important to both sides, unlike E* which cares little for sports.

yes E* has a dispute with MSG and YES and SNY. So NY subs have NO RSN's

MSG is not part of the dispute. It is only the Fox Sports Net (the ones owned by Fox)
NESN, MSG, YES, SNY, Comcast Sports Net, Root Sports are NOT part of the dispute...they are safe

These are the FSN's we'd lose (along with the part time ones like FS Wisconsin, Indiana, Utah, Houston) and also the FCS feeds (617, 623, 626)

646-1 FS SOUTH
649-1 SPORTSSOUTH
653-1 SUNSHINE
654-1 FS FLORIDA
660-2 FS OHIO
661-2 FS CINCY
663-1 FS DETROIT
668-1 FS NORTH
671-1 FS MIDWEST
676-1 FS SOUTHWEST
686-1 FS ARIZONA
692-1 FS WEST
694-1 PRIME TICKET

These stations have a -1 channel listed which is just the slate. Part time channels already use the -1 for the HD feed ;)

RSN;s not part of it and will stay

616 The Mtn
681 Altitude
696 CSN Bay Area
642 CSN Mid Atlantic
698 CSN Cali
665 CSN Chicago
630 CSN NE
659 Root Pittsburgh
683 Root Rocky Mtn
687 Root NW
628 NESN
640 MASN
634 MSG
635 MSG+
639 SNY
631 YES
662 Sportstime Ohio

and any part time channels related to these (NESN +, The MSG overflow channels)

you will still get them as the NHL package is something different. But from previous posts HD feeds might be hard to come by

Here is an email I just got from DIRECTV President and CEO Mike White...

Dear Scott,

Thanks so much for your interest in the current situation with News Corp. and Fox. Please be assured that we are taking this situation very seriously and making every attempt to find a resolution that won't increase your monthly bill.

You may not know this, but we already provide News Corp. (the company that owns Fox) nearly a billion dollars a year for their channels, and we have no problem continuing to compensate them reasonably going forward. But it's simply unfair for News Corp. to demand a 40% increase for the same networks you enjoy today. Given the size and scale of DIRECTV, we're able to negotiate volume discounts with programmers on your behalf. Unfortunately that's not the case with News Corp.'s most recent demands, and if we don't take a stand now, your monthly bill will increase substantially.

I know these carriage disputes are frustrating for all our customers. We would much prefer to focus on providing you with our industry leading service, but unfortunately these types of disputes have become commonplace in the television industry. More and more programmers are demanding outrageous fee increases. No cable, satellite, or Telco-TV provider is immune from these situations; we all face them regularly from channels attempting to extract more money from good customers like you.

We hope to resolve this matter quickly, and I am personally sitting at the negotiating table fighting on your behalf. News Corp. and Fox have followed their typical pattern, and are trying to blame DIRECTV for this situation. They have also run TV spots and print ads warning customers they may soon lose their local Fox broadcast stations. Please don't believe any of this hype; it's simply not true. I want to stress that local Fox broadcast stations and Fox News Channel will not be affected at this time.

I know you would never accept a 40% increase in your monthly bill in any economy, let alone this one. It's simply outrageous. We greatly appreciate your understanding and patience. If News Corp. would simply recalibrate their rate demands to something reasonable, we could quickly come to a resolution.

Thank you again for your patience and support as we continue to negotiate on your behalf.

Please continue to visit OurPromiseToYou.com frequently as it is a great resource to keep up with the latest information on this issue.

Sincerely,

Mike White

President and CEO

DIRECTV

Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk urge 'American Horror Fans' to pressure DirecTV
by Jeff Labrecque
Categories: American Horror Story, Television, TV Biz
Comments 5 Add comment

Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk are getting involved in the current contractual stalemate between Fox Networks, which owns the cable station that airs their American Horror Story, and DirecTV. Beginning Nov. 1, FX shows — as well as programs on National Geographic, Speed, and several other Fox stations — will no longer be available to DirecTV subscribers unless the two parties negotiate a new deal. At the root of the disagreement is the price of subscriber fees. DirectTV says Fox is demanding a 40 percent increase, while Fox responds that they’re only looking to get rates similar to deals they have with other providers.
In a video on Facebook, the two co-creators of the spooky FX show urge fans to “Don’t Let DirecTV Take Away American Horror Story.” “Do it now before they turn off FX and you miss nine all-new episodes of American Horror Story,” said Falchuk. “Thank you for your support.”

'American Horror Story' gets involved in DirecTV talks | Inside TV | EW.com

I love when executives for multi-billion dollar communications companies try to talk to the little people.

but we already provide News Corp. (the company that owns Fox) nearly a billion dollars a year for their channels,

WTF does that have to do with anything? You and News Corp have a contract under which DirecTV and News Corp have agreed to. I don't quite understand what the monetary value of it has to do with anything.

But it's simply unfair for News Corp. to demand a 40% increase for the same networks you enjoy today.

What precisely is unfair about contract negotiations where one party gives you what they want? Shouldn't the next step then be you counter offer? Apparently not, as far as DTV is concerned.

I don't doubt that News Corp is being complete idiots, but it seems that DirecTV is being a bit of a pill as well. It's one thing to negotiate and negotiate and then News Corp to pull the channels. But DirecTV pulling them rather than negotiating, seems like bad form. Hopefully they can work it out, DirecTV though seems a bit unwilling to negotiate in good faith.

I love when executives for multi-billion dollar communications companies try to talk to the little people.

WTF does that have to do with anything? You and News Corp have a contract under which DirecTV and News Corp have agreed to. I don't quite understand what the monetary value of it has to do with anything.

What precisely is unfair about contract negotiations where one party gives you what they want? Shouldn't the next step then be you counter offer? Apparently not, as far as DTV is concerned.

I don't doubt that News Corp is being complete idiots, but it seems that DirecTV is being a bit of a pill as well. It's one thing to negotiate and negotiate and then News Corp to pull the channels. But DirecTV pulling them rather than negotiating, seems like bad form. Hopefully they can work it out, DirecTV though seems a bit unwilling to negotiate in good faith.

I love when someone who has no idea what they are talking about posts troll crap like this. You really think D* hasn't already tried being civil? You really think they haven't counteroffered? If that's the case I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

I think this line from what Yaz posted is incredibly telling, and further bolsters my comments about negotiating with a certain type of people (which have been deleted because someone claims they are political for some reason). It's not just this deal that D* is thinking about, they are showing that they aren't going to take crap from any content provider that comes to the table spewing unreasonable demands. Because if they cave in to one, the vultures will start circling.

DirectTV says Fox is demanding a 40 percent increase, while Fox responds that they’re only looking to get rates similar to deals they have with other providers.

And how exactly has Fox come to the overinflated deals that they have with other providers?? That's right kiddies, by yanking the channels and holding them hostage until the provider caves in to their demands. Is it sinking in yet? Fox has successfully bullied other providers into paying what Fox wants, so they think they can do it to everyone. And now because D* is resisting, all of a sudden they are being made out to be the bad guy. I can't believe that anyone with a brain would take Fox's side on this.

Last edited:
I love when someone who has no idea what they are talking about posts troll crap like this. You really think D* hasn't already tried being civil? You really think they haven't counteroffered? If that's the case I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

I think this line from what Yaz posted is incredibly telling, and further bolsters my comments about negotiating with a certain type of people (which have been deleted because someone claims they are political for some reason). It's not just this deal that D* is thinking about, they are showing that they aren't going to take crap from any content provider that comes to the table spewing unreasonable demands. Because if they cave in to one, the vultures will start circling.

And how exactly has Fox come to the overinflated deals that they have with other providers?? That's right kiddies, by yanking the channels and holding them hostage until the provider caves in to their demands. Is it sinking in yet? Fox has successfully bullied other providers into paying what Fox wants, so they think they can do it to everyone. And now because D* is resisting, all of a sudden they are being made out to be the bad guy. I can't believe that anyone with a brain would take Fox's side on this.

If I were D* I would ask them to SHOW the books that state what OTHERS have agreed apon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)