Directv current customer care...or lack of?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

racingmoose

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
We've been a Directv subscriber for years and are currently under no commitment. After reading many of the helpful and informative posts on this forum (thank you to all the contributors who provide their knowledge), we thought we'd call Directv regarding all the special offers they have for new subscribers, and what Dish, Comcast, and Verizon are offering. We thought maybe they would try to come close to those offers or something for a long time subscriber. We have an HD & SD receiver and want to upgrade the SD to HD. We also have the choice extra package and hd extra and were hoping they could throw a discount our way.

Well, we were told it would be $99 to upgrade the receiver and they can't offer anything towards the programming since we already are part of the free HD for 24 months. I told them Dish offers HD free as well and Directv offered it also, but the CSR insisted that was something special and prevents any programming discounts. This was the supervisor that I was transferred to. This is more than a little frustrating, using something they offered as a reason to not offer any sort of discount to retaining a customer.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I don't see this as a lack of customer care, but them trying to limit the never-ending stream of freebies that everyone and their grandmother wants that the entire subscriber base ends up picking up the tab for end the end. Maybe if you weren't already still in a promo scheme you would have received it for free? I am sure if you bark loud enough and make a few more calls you will ultimately get want you want or you could just jump to Dish, Comcast, or Verizon since they also have what you want and you sound like you would be just as satisfied.

We've been a Directv subscriber for years and are currently under no commitment. After reading many of the helpful and informative posts on this forum (thank you to all the contributors who provide their knowledge), we thought we'd call Directv regarding all the special offers they have for new subscribers, and what Dish, Comcast, and Verizon are offering. We thought maybe they would try to come close to those offers or something for a long time subscriber. We have an HD & SD receiver and want to upgrade the SD to HD. We also have the choice extra package and hd extra and were hoping they could throw a discount our way.

Well, we were told it would be $99 to upgrade the receiver and they can't offer anything towards the programming since we already are part of the free HD for 24 months. I told them Dish offers HD free as well and Directv offered it also, but the CSR insisted that was something special and prevents any programming discounts. This was the supervisor that I was transferred to. This is more than a little frustrating, using something they offered as a reason to not offer any sort of discount to retaining a customer.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Well, D* knows that when you originally subbed you got the New Sub discount.
It's very rare that discounts are given on programming.

I would have thought they may have been able to help you on the upgrade some.
Is this a HD or an HD DVR your looking for ?
$ 99 is standard for the HD recvr.

That said, you are getting the "Free HD for 2 years" that was a recent discount, so they may be looking at giving you that and your asking for more.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. I'm not in any promo scheme, although they told me I was based on the 24 months of free HD access they provide to all new customers and existing ones by clicking a link on their website. Thinking we might be able to upgrade our leased SD receiver to an HD receiver doesn't seem like too much to ask, nor a few bucks off on programming considering the free months of HBO, etc. that they throw out there frequently. Sorry I pushed your buttons.

Well, D* knows that when you originally subbed you got the New Sub discount.
It's very rare that discounts are given on programming.

I would have thought they may have been able to help you on the upgrade some.
Is this a HD or an HD DVR your looking for ?
$ 99 is standard for the HD recvr.

That said, you are getting the "Free HD for 2 years" that was a recent discount, so they may be looking at giving you that and your asking for more.

We were wanting to upgrade one of our SD receivers to an HD receiver, not an HD DVR. And you're right about the "Free HD for 2 years", that's exactly what I was told...that they are already giving me $10 a month even though that was offered to everyone.

Make up your mind on alternatives.

Call up and say "cancel" at the prompt

You will be whisked away to retentions. Let them know you are canceling to go to Dish for XYZ and it will save you X dollars even after the 1 year special price is done. You tried calling before but were told by a representative that there was nothing they could do for you.

See what they have to say. If you don't like it, cancel for a date two weeks in the future and set up your other service to come in the meantime. You might get another phone call for a "account save" later on or you might not.

Or you can grin and bear it. I wouldn't get any new gear as it is going to restart your 2 year commitment. Look into a RF box to stream your current DVR to other TV's if you must have access to a dvr in another room to hold you over until you make a decision. Sling also has other methods of moving content from one source to another if needed.

Right now the wife and I are contemplating ditching DirecTV and the pay for TV for a la carte programming through other sources and fill in from torrents. I'm mostly happy with the service, not so happy with the prices and lack of HD additions and very unhappy with the equipment and the leasing. Fact is DirecTV and Dish get well compensated for these boxes and IMO its bull sh*t how the model works. You can build a good HTPC for close to what they pork you on the h24 and you don't even own it. Never mind that box will get passed to a few other customers over time and each one will get a 2 year contract and / or ETF plus lease fees. With Sunday Ticket possibly moving to other platforms soonish and MLB and other pro sports already available from other sources I really won't be missing much except the bill.

We are still undecided at this point but slowly moving in another direction.

Last edited:
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. I'm not in any promo scheme, although they told me I was based on the 24 months of free HD access they provide to all new customers and existing ones by clicking a link on their website. Thinking we might be able to upgrade our leased SD receiver to an HD receiver doesn't seem like too much to ask, nor a few bucks off on programming considering the free months of HBO, etc. that they throw out there frequently. Sorry I pushed your buttons.

The 24 months of free HD is a PROMO, and no not everyone gets it, there are many stipulations to get it.
In all my years, I have never seen HBO freebies. Showtime and sometime Startz, but never HBO.

Just to clarifysomething that Aridon noted:

"...Or you can grin and bear it. I wouldn't get any new gear as it is going to restart your 2 year commitment."

I believe that, as a result of the recent settlement that D* negotiated with the Attorneys General of the 50 states, they cannot automatically re-up a subscriber for another two year commitment when a request for an equipment upgrade applies.

If I am incorrect, then someone please post the correct answer.

when i cancelled my dtv service, i was offered either a free hd dvr upgrade or 200 dollars in credit toward my bill. i declined. a few weeks later, they send me a flier begging me to come back, offering me the 29.95 package for a year plus a free hd dvr and hd receiver upgrade. i ignored.

i couldn't predict what dtv would do but they were always good giving me discounts and freebies over the years. i just got tired waiting for new national hd that wasn't premium. my cable company has been adding hd like crazy.

"...Or you can grin and bear it. I wouldn't get any new gear as it is going to restart your 2 year commitment."

I believe that, as a result of the recent settlement that D* negotiated with the Attorneys General of the 50 states, they cannot automatically re-up a subscriber for another two year commitment when a request for an equipment upgrade applies.

Has there been any "Ruling" on this, as of now ?

There is a financial agreement with the AG's, and DirecTV said they will evaluate their practices. Nothing has changed as of today, and I doubt there will be change in the near future.

Here is that thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...reaches-vague-agreement-attorney-general.html

Do not feel obligated (loyal customer syndrome) to stay with DirecTV. At this point, you're a pure profit customer. I certainly understand them not wanting to give everything free to every customer out of contract, but at the same time, DirecTV has expectations you must meet (paying your bill on time, taking care of their equipment, fulfilling contract, ect...). They have NO love for you as an individual customer....you're just a number.

I am not a Dish fan at all, but I have told people with DirecTV to pack it up and switch to Dish for various reasons. They should cater to you for being a loyal customer.

Do not feel obligated (loyal customer syndrome) to stay with DirecTV. At this point, you're a pure profit customer. I certainly understand them not wanting to give everything free to every customer out of contract, but at the same time, DirecTV has expectations you must meet (paying your bill on time, taking care of their equipment, fulfilling contract, ect...). They have NO love for you as an individual customer....you're just a number.

I am not a Dish fan at all, but I have told people with DirecTV to pack it up and switch to Dish for various reasons. They should cater to you for being a loyal customer.

1. you have not see the man account so you cant assume any ofwhat you listed above.
2. You be surprised at the number of people i deal with on a daily basis who play the system and when it comes time for there contract to end we have 0 offers a they played the system too much when they did have a contract.

1. you have not see the man account so you cant assume any ofwhat you listed above.
2. You be surprised at the number of people i deal with on a daily basis who play the system and when it comes time for there contract to end we have 0 offers a they played the system too much when they did have a contract.

i gotta say i disagree. after i was out of contracxt, i think i played the system fairly well. i also paid my bills on time, and spent an average of 200 hundred dollars a month. they knew they lost a a great paying customer when i cancelled and are doing everything they can to get me back.

i gotta say i disagree. after i was out of contracxt, i think i played the system fairly well. i also paid my bills on time, and spent an average of 200 hundred dollars a month. they knew they lost a a great paying customer when i cancelled and are doing everything they can to get me back.

Yeah you left... and again you cant speak for the op you cant see his account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.