Directv deals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BruceE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Does anybody know if Directv will be making any deals in future.
I need a HD/DVR & 3 regular receivers.
The lease for $499.00 rebate of $100.00 does not make any sense to me.
Anybody have any info.

yea, try cable.
those rebate's are good til 7-1-06, wait til then and see if D* pulls their head out of their butt and see's all of the customers they lost, both new and old.

JetJam said:
yea, try cable.
those rebate's are good til 7-1-06, wait til then and see if D* pulls their head out of their butt and see's all of the customers they lost, both new and old.

Tell me how D* is going to lose customers again?

The Tate said:

Would you pay $499 for a lease? If they don't do something by the time the MPEG4 DVR is out then I will be leaving.

JAG72 said:
Would you pay $499 for a lease? If they don't do something by the time the MPEG4 DVR is out then I will be leaving.

You say you will leave if they don't do something about it then. Whats keeping you with them now?

I already have the HR10-250 and the local cable companies are not any better with their horrible PQ. I am hanging around hoping that they hold to their word when the HR10-250 was bought and allow the upgrade at little to no cost.

JAG72 said:
I already have the HR10-250 and the local cable companies are not any better with their horrible PQ. I am hanging around hoping that they hold to their word when the HR10-250 was bought and allow the upgrade at little to no cost.

What will you get if you cut the D* off. The crappy cable you are talking about?

Don't know yet. I would rather give E* the $299 for the 622 then $499 to D*. I just don't understand how D* can call this a lease when it is more than the majority of the people purchased the unit for over the past year. I would not have as much of a problem with the $499 if it was a purchase. At least if I decided to leave D* I could recope some of the money on eBay.

The Tate said:

do you have a HDTV?

I do, 2 year old 80" 16x9 and love it. now when you go in to buy a new TV at lease 80% are HDTV's, right? and that is what people have bought in the past year. so do you think someone is going to cough up $500 up-front for a HD/DVR on a lease with a 2 year commitment and a lease fee if more then one unit, and also be told how many of a unit you can lease? I think there will be some unhappy people.

as for the HD/DVR box D* has now its an out dated peace of junk. the only reason they sold was because it was the only one available and/or had TIVO branding.

the whole thing stinks, E* should have been left alone to die with the lease model, D* would have come out ahead and not two step's back.

cable has none of this upfront cost and commitment crapp.

I myself(a customer since 98 w/6 box's and pay over $120 a month) have been in limbo for more then a year waiting on one box that can do everything D* offers now and what I have been paying for, you would have to have 3 box's hooked to one TV to take avantage of the services they offer now.

for ex-sample I get the NFL ST every year and last year had to order superfan to get the HD games but could not take avantage of the whole superfan package because they don't have a adequate box to do so.

D* has SD, HD, LIL HD(mpeg4), mix chan, DVR, (oh and more to come) and not one box that can do it all. I'am tiered of hearing about all of the vapor-ware for over a year, and not have a box that can work with all services they offer and I have been paying for.
so now that D* changes to this dumb (up-front cost long term) lease program, now do you think they will be real nice about giving me some of that updated vapor-ware (if it ever comes out) equipment, at a low cost and reasonable term. I don't think so...

thats why there won't be alot of new customers and the old looking for the exit.

JetJam said:
as for the HD/DVR box D* has now its an out dated peace of junk. the only reason they sold was because it was the only one available and/or had TIVO branding.

Do you really believe this? I have had an HD TIvo for a year and a half and I say with all assurance that it is a very fine box. I use HDMI out to my new 50" Sony WEGA 1080p set and it looks great, even with Directv's bit starving ways.

I had Time Warner's HD DVR for several months and it was completely inferior to the HD Tivo.

I just hope that Direct's new HD DVR doesn't suck, because I need my locals in HD as I cannot receive them OTA.

A question for the ones who are looking to leave D*. What are you going to do, Go to crappy cable or go to E*. Just take a look over at the Dish Network forum and look at the people leaving E* everyday because of something.

What do you think is going to be better?

jabroni said:
Do you really believe this? I have had an HD TIvo for a year and a half and I say with all assurance that it is a very fine box. I use HDMI out to my new 50" Sony WEGA 1080p set and it looks great, even with Directv's bit starving ways.

I had Time Warner's HD DVR for several months and it was completely inferior to the HD Tivo.

I just hope that Direct's new HD DVR doesn't suck, because I need my locals in HD as I cannot receive them OTA.

Yes, you said it your self, "I need my locals in HD". which is only in mpeg4.

the HR10-250 box is mpeg2, TIVO software based and non-interactive. D* dropped TIVO sometime ago, so that box will never get updated and soon be unsupported. and yet they still sell it.

the H20 box is mpeg4, but can't record and is non-interactive.

how can I put this,
I like D* for their content and new technologies, SD, HD, LIL HD(mpeg4), mix chan, DVR, and more to come. but piss's the crapp out me that the monthly bill keeps going $up$ and yet they do not have a box that can handle any of the new stuff. just seams backwards to come out with new services and content and not have a box that can handle it. like I said, you would have to have 3 box's hooked up to one TV to use all of their services and content, that we pay for now.

I have 2 words for you DVD Burner, I burn the shows I want to see that I am missing and if it's in HD it looks great with a Composite Connection.......

Sure I can't record 2 things at the same time....but I can set it to record and end at what ever time I want with unlimited timers and at next to the highest qulaity I can fit 2 hours of programming on one DVD.

Just my .02

I share a lot of Jet Jam's frustration -- I have a HD Tivo, a SD Tivo, and a regular sony box (which always crashed, btw.) I bought the HDTivo last January, knowing it would be obsolete soon, and got a lot of service credits as a result (so that's good).

I paid for a lifetime sub to Tivo when I got the SD tivo in 2000, so I have had no TiVo fees, but that benefit will go away when and if I switch to the NDS HD DVR (when and if it comes out), and the promise of a "swap out" of my HDTivo for one of the MPEG-4 HD DVR boxes looks like it will never happen, now that DTV is going to a lease only model . . . all this, combined with my increasing frustration with HD-lite (I think TNT does not look good at all) and the lack of SV Channels, has me looking hard at my options.

I got out of my commitment in November, so I am a free agent. Comcast is not bad in my area, but at the end of the day, it is more expensive. I am having Verizon FIOS internet service installed next week, and am eagerly awaiting FIOSTV when and if the County gov't grants Verizon a cable franchise. If FIOS TV becomes an option, and the Series 3 TiVo (with Cablecard support) comes out, is reasonably priced, Tivo honors my lifetime subscription, and it works with FIOS, I am gone.

I was very pro-DTV a few months ago, but I think they are making a LOT of bad moves (dragging their heels on SV Stations, abandoning TiVo, weak HD offerings, HD Lite, switching to lease only (which, IMHO, screws those of us who have already made significant investments)) and may be in SERIOUS trouble as the DBS/Cable/FIOS market becomes increasingly competitive in the coming year(s).

I'd love to hear why I should stay with DTV, but it looks like it'll be FIOS for me once it becomes an option. FIOS will be cheaper, better PQ, have VOD, have Tivo support (I hope -- but with the FCC mandate for Cable Card support, I think that is a reasonable expectation), and will have all my local channels -- both DC and Balto.

Anyone who wants to tell me I'm nuts -- I'd love to hear it!

JetJam said:
Yes, you said it your self, "I need my locals in HD". which is only in mpeg4.

the HR10-250 box is mpeg2, TIVO software based and non-interactive. D* dropped TIVO sometime ago, so that box will never get updated and soon be unsupported. and yet they still sell it.

the H20 box is mpeg4, but can't record and is non-interactive.

how can I put this,
I like D* for their content and new technologies, SD, HD, LIL HD(mpeg4), mix chan, DVR, and more to come. but piss's the crapp out me that the monthly bill keeps going $up$ and yet they do not have a box that can handle any of the new stuff. just seams backwards to come out with new services and content and not have a box that can handle it. like I said, you would have to have 3 box's hooked up to one TV to use all of their services and content, that we pay for now.

I agree with you and my biggest fear is that their next HD DVR (mpeg 2 and 4) will not be as robust as the Tivo. Hopefully, I am proven wrong but I certainly do not want to go backwards in terms of functionality (i.e., season passes, wishlists, etc.)

I am not going to have to wait long though, as the new HD DVR is slated for June....

DanWard said:
I'd love to hear why I should stay with DTV,

I would love to hear it as well. I keep hearing everybody say that things are going to be great with the new SATs in place. So far I have not seen anything good come from it. Yes HD LIL has been launched in some select markets and more are just around the corner. That is great but I get my HD fine via OTA. We all were talking about the MPEG4 HD DVR a year ago and it is still vapor ware. D* did announced some pretty cool things latley but how long will we need to wait to see any of it? Will it be this year or another 2 years just waiting to see how great D* will be.

jabroni said:
I agree with you and my biggest fear is that their next HD DVR (mpeg 2 and 4) will not be as robust as the Tivo. Hopefully, I am proven wrong but I certainly do not want to go backwards in terms of functionality (i.e., season passes, wishlists, etc.)

I am not going to have to wait long though, as the new HD DVR is slated for June....
Without 30 second skip it will be worthless. Eliminating Tivo is one of the stupidest things theyve done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts