DirecTv Deceptive?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
I just got DirecTV service installed and activated less than 24hrs ago. When I was ordering my services I specifically asked for HR44 Genie receiver and a Genie mini. About 4hrs after the installation, I realized that the unit that was installed for me was the HR34. A look at the compartment that holds the Smart Card confirmed it was the HR34! Thinking this was an honest mistake I called DirecTv costumer service to report and have the issue rectified. To my surprise, CSR told me there is no difference between the HR34 and HR44, and even if they sent a replacement receiver, there is no guarantee that I will get an HR44. I was stunned!?!?!?! I then asked the question, why can't I get the HR34 replaced with the HR44? And the reply again was because, we can't guarantee it. I then said so if you go to a car dealership and pay for let's say a 2014 500s class Mercedes Benz and the dealership decides to deliver a 2013 400s class Mercedes Benz and the dealer tells there is no difference between the 2 models as they both can take you from point A to Point B, and no guarantee they will deliver the 2014 500s class version you originally ordered and paid for, you as the customer will accept the wrong car and say Thank you and walk away? To that he said, no and he understands. I have made about 3 calls on this issue since yesterday, the latest this morning and they keep telling me that someone will call me back, but no one has called me back yet. This is pure MISREPRESENTATION and dubious. Why would DIRECTV be so deceptive and sneaky. If I don't get this issue resolved by end of day Monday, I will CANCEL my Account! I'm really heated about this.

when you order a receiver you are ordering that "receiver line" so if you ordered a Genie you get EITHER a HR34 or 44 depending on what is on the truck
If you had ordered a HD DVR you could get a HR24 (newest) or a HR22 (older and slower) or a HR23
The only way to guarantee a particular model is to purchase (lease) it from a retailer

Dish is the same way unless you get a Hawper.

If you are going to cancel over this, be aware once it is installed you are under a 2 year contract. Be prepared for a giant early cancel fee.

when you order a receiver you are ordering that "receiver line" so if you ordered a Genie you get EITHER a HR34 or 44 depending on what is on the truck
If you had ordered a HD DVR you could get a HR24 (newest) or a HR22 (older and slower) or a HR23
The only way to guarantee a particular model is to purchase (lease) it from a retailer

Dish is the same way unless you get a Hawper.

That's crazy.......but I made it abundantly clear when i was putting in my order that i wanted HR44 and I was told that was no problem. I still want to get the HR44. Let's see what happens by end of day tomorrow, I may have a very short relationship with Directv.

When the installer came why didnt you ask him what receiver he had? You could have always cancelled before he installed it (and you signed the contract)

When I first started with Directv in 2010 they showed a nice black DVR (it was the R22 which was for SD). When the installer showed up he had a silver R15 that had fewer features than the R22 but it was the same "family".

If you are going to cancel over this, be aware once it is installed you are under a 2 year contract. Be prepared for a giant early cancel fee.

Well, I called them on this issue less than 4 hrs after installation. So deceptive advertising is now an acceptable norm not an exception with the DirecTv organization?

When the installer came why didnt you ask him what receiver he had? You could have always cancelled before he installed it (and you signed the contract)

When I first started with Directv in 2010 they showed a nice black DVR (it was the R22 which was for SD). When the installer showed up he had a silver R15 that had fewer features than the R22 but it was the same "family".

I did ask him if that was the latest receiver for the Genie he said yes. It was after he left and I began to browse that I discovered that some of the features I expected to see on the HR44 was missing that I realized that I had been hoodwinked.

So deceptive advertising is now an acceptable norm not an exception with the DirecTv organization?

What is deceptive? It says you will get a Genie which both the HR44 and HR34 are under the same "umbrella" of a Genie.

What is deceptive? It says you will get a Genie which both the HR44 and HR34 are under the same "umbrella" of a Genie.

No. My order specified an HR44, and not "either an HR44 or HR34". I was specific about my order.

I really don't like the way they handle their receivers and yes you did get screwed a little by getting a HR34 instead of the HR44 and you get the same exact contract to boot. You can't specifically order what you want unless you get it through solid signal or pay for it. If its free its whatever you get and I'm pretty sure its on the order paper work somewhere in fine print.

The only way to do this is to be a nerd like many of us and research research research because if you don't D* can pretty much legally screw you. Well the installer essentially screwed you and took advantage of your ignorance D* was just an accomplice whose policies allowed inferior gear to go to someone that didn't know better.

Your only chance was to cancel the install before you signed the contract.

No. My order specified an HR44, and not "either an HR44 or HR34". I was specific about my order.

Does it say that on the contract you signed? You can specific all you want but the order probably was for a "Genie" which again is whatever they have on the truck.

I really don't like the way they handle their receivers and yes you did get screwed a little by getting a HR34 instead of the HR44 and you get the same exact contract to boot. You can't specifically order what you want unless you get it through solid signal or pay for it. If its free its whatever you get and I'm pretty sure its on the order paper work somewhere in fine print.

The only way to do this is to be a nerd like many of us and research research research because if you don't D* can pretty much legally screw you. Well the installer essentially screwed you and took advantage of your ignorance D* was just an accomplice whose policies allowed inferior gear to go to someone that didn't know better.

Your only chance was to cancel the install before you signed the contract.

I did research, but unfortunately I should have confirmed the receiver model before it was installed (but that shouldn't excuse the switch by the installer or DirecTv), but I will keep at DirecTV on this, until I get a resolution.

Does it say that on the contract you signed? You can specific all you want but the order probably was for a "Genie" which again is whatever they have on the truck.

He had an electronic contract on a smart phone, so I really didn't go through it before I signed it.

did Directv send you an e-mail of the order confirmation? Only reason I ask is that may have the info as to the receiver and such on it.

I would not worry about it man, the HR34 is awesome and it does all the same stuff. If you were dead set on a HR44 you should have asked the installer if that was what he was bringing when he called to say he was on his way. If he said no, I don't have one you could have cancelled the install. The 34 and the 44 are the same, 5 tuners 1 TB hd, I really think you are getting ALL UPSET over nothing. You have an incredible dvr(the best in the world). You know something else, IF YOU HAD GOTTEN A HR44 TODAY AND HAD A HARD DRIVE FAILURE, they would send you either a HR34 OR HR44 THERE IS NO CHOICE. I just had one go bad last week and I got sent a HR34 replacement, and anyone one this board that has a HR44 right now and needs a replacement GETS NOT CHOICE WHEN THEY SHIP OUT THE REPLACEMENT. RELAX AND ENJOY :)

I feel the pain, but they only “guarantee” a genie, that’s HR34 or HR44. The morning my install was setup and the guy called, I asked specifically if he had an HR44 for me and he said yes. If he would have said no, I would have cancelled that appointment.

They won’t promise you a HR44 when you set it up, just a “genie”. Most people would never know the difference, and to be quite frank, if you knew enough to want a HR44 over the HR34, you should have known enough on how to bird dog it.

DirecTV never has guaranteed a particular model - this applies both to the Genies and to the regular DVRs. For an install, you get whatever the installer has on the truck. If you really want an HR44 instead of an HR34, you can ask the installer when he shows up. Some people have been known to refuse an install if they can't get the model they wanted. If you got an HR34, this isn't a switch by DirecTV. The order just says "genie", it does not specify any particular model. In fact the CSR can't specify a particular model in the ordering system.

The poster isn't new to satguys, and there are enough posts about DirecTv's policy on models to inform anyone who wants to look.

I did ask him if that was the latest receiver for the Genie he said yes. It was after he left and I began to browse that I discovered that some of the features I expected to see on the HR44 was missing that I realized that I had been hoodwinked.

What features are missing for the 34 that you wanted in the 44 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)