DirecTV denies Tornado rumor

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
Saw this by 3 friends on Facebook saying that DirecTV is telling people in Joplin, MO. they have to send in there box or remote or have to pay $500. People have started anti DirecTV Facebook pages and people have said they are canceling there service due to this.

DirecTV on there Twitter & Facebook say there is 100% no truth to the rumor and that they are helping out anyone effected if they call in.

Sad someone started a rumor to slander DirecTV.

Isn't the DirecTV trademark a representation of a tornado?

Or is it a cyclone?

Some idiot might take it further and use the German word for cyclone or Zyklon, which would be the I.G. Farben/Degesh trademark for the cyanide gas used at Auschwitz.

How stupid can people get?

Rumor indeed!??!?

DirecTV HAS been officially denying it ...via social media. But repeated cutomers have posted that they wree told they WOULD have to buy out contracts at $20 per month and pay for equipment. I emailed DircTV specifically about people in joplin that had lost their homes to the tornado...their response was the victims could file a claim on their homeowners insurance. A Facebook representative, TWO nights ago offered to help; but has been silent to our inquiries ever since. Check out DirecTV's rating with the Better Busines Bureau and the recent court cases against them...for what many have called predatory or deceptive practices. I would love to see they are doing right by people..but not one person has stepped forward, that we know of, to tell us DirecTV took care of all fees because their home was destroyed..but plenty have said they wree being charged...one woman who only had renter's insurance was told she would owe $660 to buy out her contract and equipment..and her home was LEVELED!! IF DirecTV is going to do this to people they should AT LEAST say so publicly..rather than try to quash real concerns as rumors, in my opinion. DirecTV is in NO way a reflection of the local installers (sub-contractors) many of whom have given much of their time volunteering....
And by the way (if it were) it would be LIBEL (written), not slander (spoken).

Just check the Boycott Direct TV Joplin Facebook page..good info there...and the guy that started it talked with over 15 customer service people..all of whom he said seemed to give different answers.

Just check the Boycott Direct TV Joplin Facebook page..good info there...and the guy that started it talked with over 15 customer service people..all of whom he said seemed to give different answers.

Getting different answers from different csrs is par for the course, one of my pet peeves with Directv.

New DTV posting

Check Facebook DirecTV now

YAY! At least they have acknowledged SOME form of miscommunication rather than trying to say it was just a rumor...of course they don't say it was on THEIR part..LOL I'll need the same customers that complained to say it's been straightened out before I'll completely accept it though...because this has been their "official" position all along...unfortunately it was not exactly getting through to customer service...hope they clear this up and get customer service to follow through! I'll be VERY GLAD to update with it...IF I get verification from customers

If this is true DirecTV has no scruples at all. How would they like it if the uplink got leveled or corporate offices and they were force to pay all their subscribers because of it. What comes around goes around.

I know I am going to get hated for this. But I do not believe that DirecTV should have to fork over any money because of an "act of god"...

If I was a dealer in that area, I would go bankrupt due to the chargebacks.

Affected homeowners and renters need to claim any loss of equipment to their insurance company.

DirecTV HAS been officially denying it ...via social media. But repeated cutomers have posted that they wree told they WOULD have to buy out contracts at $20 per month and pay for equipment. I emailed DircTV specifically about people in joplin that had lost their homes to the tornado...their response was the victims could file a claim on their homeowners insurance. A Facebook representative, TWO nights ago offered to help; but has been silent to our inquiries ever since. Check out DirecTV's rating with the Better Busines Bureau and the recent court cases against them...for what many have called predatory or deceptive practices. I would love to see they are doing right by people..but not one person has stepped forward, that we know of, to tell us DirecTV took care of all fees because their home was destroyed..but plenty have said they wree being charged...one woman who only had renter's insurance was told she would owe $660 to buy out her contract and equipment..and her home was LEVELED!! IF DirecTV is going to do this to people they should AT LEAST say so publicly..rather than try to quash real concerns as rumors, in my opinion. DirecTV is in NO way a reflection of the local installers (sub-contractors) many of whom have given much of their time volunteering....
And by the way (if it were) it would be LIBEL (written), not slander (spoken).

IF any of this is true.

Rumor run rampant when this type of thing happens ....

Check Facebook DirecTV now

YAY! At least they have acknowledged SOME form of miscommunication rather than trying to say it was just a rumor...of course they don't say it was on THEIR part..LOL I'll need the same customers that complained to say it's been straightened out before I'll completely accept it though...because this has been their "official" position all along...unfortunately it was not exactly getting through to customer service...hope they clear this up and get customer service to follow through! I'll be VERY GLAD to update with it...IF I get verification from customers

Why should YOU get any verification from D*, unless YOU were one of those effected.
They don't care what YOU have to say, they don't know who YOU are and if your NOT from Joplin you should not be calling posing as someone that is, they have thier hands full trying to help those that were involved, let alone those looking for a Negative word to spread.

If you want to be helpful, GO to one of the cities in need and help out, don't spread rumors you have no way of confirming.
ANYONE can get on Facebook or Twitter and post ANYTHING they want ....
Thats a MAJOR problem with these type of media devices, there is NO recourse for someone spreading rumors, just post away.

I know I am going to get hated for this. But I do not believe that DirecTV should have to fork over any money because of an "act of god"...

If I was a dealer in that area, I would go bankrupt due to the chargebacks.
I see your point , but also in the process, How many FORCED Charged credit and debit cards is D* dipping into in the process.

I bet you anything the poor people lost everything and D* still has the balls to sneak their early termination fees out from under these poor people.

And why the hell should you they have to Claim unowned, property of Directv satellite equipment to your insurance company. So Directv can profit from your loss?

Then what, is D* going to give these exsiting customer exactly what they had before at no cost? Doubt it!

I see your point , but also in the process, How many FORCED Charged credit and debit cards is D* dipping into in the process.

I bet you anything the poor people lost everything and D* still has the balls to sneak their early termination fees out from under these poor people.

And why the hell should you they have to Claim unowned, property of Directv satellite equipment to your insurance company. So Directv can profit from your loss?

Then what, is D* going to give these exsiting customer exactly what they had before at no cost? Doubt it!

As for claiming on your insurance, you would in this situation claim EVERYTHING in the home on the claim, so why not the D* equipment as well.
If D* tells them don't worry about it, well cover it, then great.
And YES, I would expect the same equipment that I had before the storm.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)