DirecTV DVR Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Although I'm not a satellite installer or know 'insider' information about any of the satellite suppliers, like Dish or Directv. I have been working with satellite systems since I built my first one in about 1978. Only purchased parts and etched the LNA's out of a special fiber based circuit board and had to buy the FET's at about 25 bucks a piece (needed 4). So I have some knowledge and went through the encryption period where I did buy a decryption box that I had to insert into the signal stream in-between the IF and the color generators (detector) of the TV signal. I've also been a ham radio operator for over 35 years. So I will put in my plug and I hope you follow me...

LNB's (or LNA's) usually have a couple of parts:

1) receiving antenna for the satellite (it selects vertical, horizontal or circular polarization)

2) Oscillator for converting a block of frequencies to another block of frequencies and is usually what is controlled by the desktop box to select the proper transponder, along with the proper signal polarization.

3 Band pass filters and amplifiers to get the signal strength up and suppress the incoming frequencies.

Satellite receivers work a little different than your home radio or TV, although the principles of the basics are close.

Usually you will have an LNB (Low noise Band converter/amplifier), we used to just call'em LNA (low noise amplifiers), but they did convert a block of frequencies down (frequency wise) to a copy at a lower frequency. Line loss is tremendous at the mid Gig bands, which is why they even use an LNB. They could have run hard line to your dish (at like 6 to 10 bucks a foot) but if you dented it or bent it improperly, you again have large signal loses. Like I think Directv uses 800mhz to 2200mhz in the lower block. But the amplifiers also have the ability to shift what block is converted. Usually on Directv they just have an LNB for each satellite, but you end up with many (5 on my one dish and two on my foreign dish)

If you have a DVR, you have two lines coming in, one for each tuner inside, so you can record one and watch one or record two at the same time (but can't watch a third, only two tuners). This also tells you that the LNB is being controlled somehow via the receiver since you need an LNB for each tuner. Also, the software inside the desktop box checks signal strengths of the incoming channels and won't let you operate without those at the correct values.

The major thing in most of these are that ALL of the electronics depend on voltage from the desktop box for operation. Most splitters don't actually allow a DC path so if you try one of these it's like unplugging the LNB from the power line.

To connect all of these boxes they usually use a switching crossover network, which has actual working electronics inside and are generally proprietary, so you can't just pick one up.

So the idea of just 'splitting' the lines don't work in these kinds of configurations. You have to take into consideration the frequencies and voltages required. Since most satellites have many translators (take a block of upcoming frequencies and change the frequency of the whole block to transmit back) which could do a standard translation or an inverted translation. Standard is when the highest frequencies come out the highest and inverted where they come out at the lower end.

Also, I know someone asked if they needed a phone line. No, but it has conditions. Like Dishtv charges you 65 bucks a year for any box not connected to a phone line. Directv will operate over the internet or phone line, or if you don't have either it will record your purchases on the security card, when that is full, you won't be able to order any more ppv.

Hope I helped?

Jack

Also, I know someone asked if they needed a phone line. No, but it has conditions. Like Dishtv charges you 65 bucks a year for any box not connected to a phone line. Directv will operate over the internet or phone line, or if you don't have either it will record your purchases on the security card, when that is full, you won't be able to order any more ppv.

I believe the limit on PPV purchases is now five (on newer equipment) without a phone line connected. My H21-200 was installed and activated with the phone line connected. However, a recent storm damaged the line coming into the house at that location and I had to disable that outlet.

We made exactly five PPV purchases via remote after that before the receiver stopped allowing it.

you say it is hard to run a 2nd line since you are on a slab, do you have an attic? if so you should be able to get it there. in my area we don't have the luxury of basements, all buildings are on slab. i have run miles of cable in existing structures thru teh attic and down inside walls.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)