jacobm69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2006
Kent County, Delaware
saw this on our local news facebook page:
WBOC TV 16 Delmarva's News Leader | Facebook

WBOC TV 16 Delmarva's News Leader
Brian Spyros reports: The Talbot County Sheriff's Office arrested Benjamin Tate Plugge this week. Deputies say he worked for DirectTV and stole $50,000 worth of jewelry from a home in Royal Oak. The homeowner called police on Plugge after he realized something suspicious was going on. There are also reported cases of theft in Caroline and Dorchester counties that police are investigating.
207840_10150161040349539_219252434538_6556893_3963525_s.jpg

So? Every company that services the home has their bad apples.
I wonder if any Dish employee has been caught? Or Comcast? Or TWC.
Just sayin"!

Basically the story should really say "in-home contractor caught stealing"! Just because they were there with DirecTV is of ZERO consequence. As JD said above; every company has bad apples.

Just sayin"!

Actually Time Warner employees are too busy not only doing their jobs, but are too busy to steal from customers since their out saving lives in the community the serve. A couple stories the anti cable folks here would never care to post.

Time Warner Cable technician saves a life - YNN, Your News Now
Cable guy, boy rescue NY baby in pit bull attack

Just another idiot. At least a job will open up for someone that needs one while this moron is playing in general pop for a bit.

Also some of you are a tad defensive. I think everyone knows bad apples exist at every big company much less independent contractors.

Relax.

Just sayin"!

just sayin" what?..... all you said was "So

I was simply posting an article i saw related to directv in case anyone was interested. In no way was I saying nor did I infer that other telecoms did not have bad employees (as they all probably do). I do thank you for your intelligent and well thought out response (even when non was warranted), It shows how quick you are to jump on someone just posting satellite related info in what is supposed to be "America's Satellite Information Source"

JUST SAYIN"! :rolleyes:

Actually Time Warner employees are too busy not only doing their jobs, but are too busy to steal from customers since their out saving lives in the community the serve. A couple stories the anti cable folks here would never care to post.

Time Warner Cable technician saves a life - YNN, Your News Now
Cable guy, boy rescue NY baby in pit bull attack

Here in my area we have had reports of cable guys doing dirty deeds as well; just like any other profession. Just like the good deeds too. Please!?!?

just sayin" what?..... all you said was "So

I was simply posting an article i saw related to directv in case anyone was interested. In no way was I saying nor did I infer that other telecoms did not have bad employees (as they all probably do). I do thank you for your intelligent and well thought out response (even when non was warranted), It shows how quick you are to jump on someone just posting satellite related info in what is supposed to be "America's Satellite Information Source"

JUST SAYIN"! :rolleyes:

Its really not related to DirecTV or any other provider or business; it should be all about the scum that was ripping off the owner. So does the story do a deep dive into the fact of this guy really works for DirecTV or is a contract worker installing systems? The news company should have gone that far or simply said satellite installer. The company he works for is basically irrelevant. Just like the A-Holes at my company that steal in no way reflect on Nike as a whole or ME. But the news, as always, needs to attach an unrelated "big name" with the thinnest of connective threads to sensationalize the story and make you feel the drama and possibly angry!

Last edited:
Right away the " Directv Defenders" are on the clock!

I think most people are well aware, there are some bad apples with every company, We don't need the "its not D* fault" every single time.

The OP was just posting some Satellite TV news.

Jeesh!

TO ADD TO THIS!

The practice of "ghosting" does go on. As it was explained to me after I refused work from Emerald Cabling & Satellite of Baltimore, MD (now defunct) and DirectSatUSA of Philadelphia (Blue Balls, actually)..." There is a little slip between getting hired and getting a tech number. MASTEC...in their rare good guy column...took time to wait for back ground checks

But I live and work in this market. Nobody will work for the sat installation companies..including me...because of the HSP ...."entities who have proved to be less than trustworthy".....and was told by an ASP that if they told prospective tech what could happen...nobody would do the work.

This (above dude) is what you get. I received occasional WOs that were marked DO NOT SEND SAME TECH and when I arrived (often with my son) there was relief
that they knew me...and did not have to worry about the tech helper looking in every room and opening closets and drawers.

But I won't work for them either.

joe

Hemi 6.1 said:

I think most people are well aware, there are some bad apples with every company, We don't need the "its not D* fault" every single time.

Jeesh!

Apparently Time Warner only hires saints.

TO ADD TO THIS!

The practice of "ghosting" does go on. As it was explained to me after I refused work from Emerald Cabling & Satellite of Baltimore, MD (now defunct) and DirectSatUSA of Philadelphia (Blue Balls, actually)..." There is a little slip between getting hired and getting a tech number. MASTEC...in their rare good guy column...took time to wait for back ground checks

But I live and work in this market. Nobody will work for the sat installation companies..including me...because of the HSP ...."entities who have proved to be less than trustworthy".....and was told by an ASP that if they told prospective tech what could happen...nobody would do the work.

This (above dude) is what you get. I received occasional WOs that were marked DO NOT SEND SAME TECH and when I arrived (often with my son) there was relief
that they knew me...and did not have to worry about the tech helper looking in every room and opening closets and drawers.

But I won't work for them either.

joe

You take your SON to work with you ?

Jeesh!

So conversely we then don't need this type of reply above either?

I think we all know why it was posted. Its not really new news and it mattesr not one way or the other regarding real debatable satellite issues or hardware; it was to inflame emotions.

I think we all know why it was posted. Its not really new news and it mattesr not one way or the other regarding real debatable satellite issues or hardware; it was to inflame emotions.
Is it D* news? Yep,
Isn't it nice to be informed when stuff like this happens. YEP!

The debate began, when the very next post was " ITS NOT D* FAULT"

Just because D* subs its work out, doesn't mean they are not responsible for who they contract their jobs too.

I know some of you can't stand to see D* take any heat, But there are a lot more storys about this then gets posted here.

We had 2 cases of theft from D* and 1 from Comcast last year., Thats just in my news area!

Now if I was one of the customers getting ripped off, first thing I would do is call the police, and let them know D* was the ones who was here installing their equipment.
I don't give a crap who they sub the job to. I didn't sign a 24 month commitment with the subcontractor, Nor did I hire him personally.

And I never clamed D* was the only company with bad apples, but if this was about Dish or cable you D* guys would be all over this.

i find it hard to believe that anyone in the area has 50k in jewelry. and i grew up in dorchester county

but i dint leave installers alone long enough to steal anything, well that and the 100_ lb dog watching em keeps em honest :)

"You took your son to work?"

I did for years,
As a contractor you are more on your own. As I said, he was my inside man. For safety reasons I never took him on roofs. He knew more about individual TV models and VCRS etc. than most customers. I would meet with the customer and place new receivers where they would go. By the time I had the dish wired to a ground block...he had inside receivers connected and often new wire run to the same point.

It worked great for several years.

Joe

Last edited:
There are crooks in every profession. DirecTV or any other satellite/cable company is no different. You do your best to background check these folks, but one will always slip through. It's best to lock up the valuables and supervise folk that are in your house.

charper1 said:

I had no intention of inflaming emotion, I was simply posting satellite related news. It was new news because it just happened four days ago. I have never read of techs stealing on this site before, and I am sure others would be appreciative to know this goes on. I will always be watching them closely from now on.

This was the first time I have ever posted in the directv forum and it will be my last..you people are nuts about defending them.

The point of posting the article was that the directv employee stole 50k worth of items. I have never heard an installer taking that much during a service call. I could have given a rats a$$ who the provider was.

So instead of talking about the balls this guy had to steal that much, a few of you have decided to say this goes on at all companies and is no big deal. I personally think 50k is a lot.

If it had been a dish/cable employee, I would have posted in that forum. And if I wanted to start something against you fanboys, then I would have posted in the war zone.

I request that the mods close this thread that I started because apparently you can only post good news about directv in this forum, and I was unaware of this....

Actually you and some others miss the point its not about DirecTV, defending them or otherwise; the fact its not DirecTV news; its crime news. Like you said you could care less who they worked for, but just like the original report the story made effort to lay implied blame by mentioning "DirecTV" and so very little to shed more than a few details on the crime itself, the thief, the owner, etc. The first two words of the headline :"DirecTV employee" then the story goes on to say it again more than once and then you repeated it here (and then again in your 2nd explanation below as well) AND this happened to be your very 1st post in a DirecTV thread? Hmmmm; but yet it doesn't matter that the thief "worked" for DirecTV or not and like the original report you weren't "really" trying to illicit any emotions? OK.... I really believe you and the original reporter; really, I do...

My point was always that it is just crime news only; not TV news, not satellite news, not cable news, or DirecTV news. I am still betting good money the guy doesn't even work for DirecTV at all. But it doesn't matter.. No need to remove it though; its a great read.

I had no intention of inflaming emotion, I was simply posting satellite related news. It was new news because it just happened four days ago. I have never read of techs stealing on this site before, and I am sure others would be appreciative to know this goes on. I will always be watching them closely from now on.

This was the first time I have ever posted in the directv forum and it will be my last..you people are nuts about defending them.

The point of posting the article was that the directv employee stole 50k worth of items. I have never heard an installer taking that much during a service call. I could have given a rats a$$ who the provider was.

So instead of talking about the balls this guy had to steal that much, a few of you have decided to say this goes on at all companies and is no big deal. I personally think 50k is a lot.

If it had been a dish/cable employee, I would have posted in that forum. And if I wanted to start something against you fanboys, then I would have posted in the war zone.

I request that the mods close this thread that I started because apparently you can only post good news about directv in this forum, and I was unaware of this....

Last edited:
Maybe this is waaaaaaay off the subject, but I am almost willing to bet anything this guy had a clean record, MOST the time, people who would technically fail a BG Check is because of something happened long time ago, EVERYONE has done something stupid in their life, but some just got caught doing it and most didn't. If a guy got caught stealing back in 1980, why punish him 31 years later? It happens.. Just had to throw that out there..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts