Directv extra receiver box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sprite113

Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
All,

This may be a stupid question.

I currently have one receiver box under my acct and know that I can add another receiver box on my own for the extra tv in another room. My question is, can i just pick up a normal directv receiver from ebay and then hook it up? How do I set this up if this is do-able. Does the 'new' access card that I purchase via ebay needs to be configured or it is just a matter of putting extra cable from satellite to new receiver box and then plugging in the new access card?

Just thought that it is not a good idea to pay to lease an extra receiver considering these SD receivers are so cheap and inexpensive on ebay.

Honestly, it might be cheaper and more cost efficient in the long run if you were to just get the receiver directly from Directv. Either way, you'd be paying $5.00 extra per month on the second receiver... $5/lease fee (for their receiver)as opposed to $5/programming fee (for an "owned" receiver). They get their money either way. On the other hand, purchasing a receiver from D* might extend and/or renew your contract with them, as opposed to buying it on your own, which doesn't affect your commitment agreement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.