DirecTV Genie upgrade question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnm356

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
I'm a long time DTV customer, but still stuck with 10-year old, obselete equipment.
I currently have an H20 HD receiver and several old D10's around the house, with a Slimline dish on my roof (no idea which model)
I'm looking to upgrade to their Genie service.
While talking to a DTV rep, they said they'd have to send out a tech to upgrade the receivers (since it's been such a long time) and possibly install a new dish as well.

My questions is, if they do have to install a new dish, will (can) they reuse my existing 2" mount that's installed now, or will they have to start making new holes in my roof to install a whole new system?

Simple answer is , if you have the slimline dish, and they can reach the dish while remaining on a ladder, then all they will have to do is replace the LNB, the "knob " at the end of the arm and re-align the dish.

Yes the dish is easily accessible. I have to use one small extension ladder to climb up on my full-length porch roof, from there a 6' stepladder gets you up on the roof.
That's good news for two reasons; one, I wouldn't want them disturbing what is a very sturdy 4-point mount that's been up there for years through all kinds of weather (not to mention making more holes in my roof), and two, I currently have an IceZapper® installed on the back of the existing dish which I'd probably damage trying to remove it.
Thanks...

Yes the dish is easily accessible. I have to use one small extension ladder to climb up on my full-length porch roof, from there a 6' stepladder gets you up on the roof.
That's good news for two reasons; one, I wouldn't want them disturbing what is a very sturdy 4-point mount that's been up there for years through all kinds of weather (not to mention making more holes in my roof), and two, I currently have an IceZapper® installed on the back of the existing dish which I'd probably damage trying to remove it.
Thanks...

that dish is not acceptable. they cannot leave the ladder that touched the ground.

that dish is not acceptable. they cannot leave the ladder that touched the ground.

I wouldn't say the dish is unacceptable but more the mounting location that is no longer allowed by company policy.

In short the tech would not be permitted to access the dish under current policy.

That may not be the end of the story though. As long as the dish is still lined up and there are 4 lines coming from the dish and they terminate in an accessible location, a unit can be installed that accomplishes the same functionality as replacing the LNB.

The only guy that can ultimately tell you what can be done is the guy who comes out to do the upgrade.

The line from the call center that says the dish must be replaced is a standard statement but it isn't always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can be reached from a single extension ladder, it's on the extreme corner of my roof.
It's just easier (IMO) to climb up the porch, at least that's what I do.
And besides, to climb up that particular corner means he'd have to climb past my electrical service drop, which is why I do what I do...

It can be reached from a single extension ladder, it's on the extreme corner of my roof.
It's just easier (IMO) to climb up the porch, at least that's what I do.

maybe, but installers are not allowed to leave the ladder without proper safety equipment.
osha regulations and all

See what the D* guys say when they come out, if they cant, look into a Local installer, they have different rules and regulations.
They still wqnt to.be safe though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)