Status
Please reply by conversation.

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
I'm interested in the genie. When I switch back to directv, I'm wondering if I can get a genie and another dvr? A csr told me why would you want a 2nd dvr for, the genie does it all. He was insisting that a genie would only work with a client and not another dvr. Is it better to get a 2nd dvr instead of a client ?

That depends on how you want to use them, I would choose the 2nd DVR and it will work, don't believe the CSR. With the client you can tell the Genie what to record which you can't do with a DVR. With the DVR you get two more tuners and more HD space plus a backup in case the Genie goes down. Take your pick.

You can get a client, a HD receiver or a DVR and it will work fine with the Genie (for whole home viewing)

There's plenty of threads on "what is better"....but honestly I would think about these 2 questions
-will there be times I'll max out the 5 tuners? (if so how much)
-can I afford the $199 for the HD DVR (clients are free at install)

I am maxing out the 5 tuners myself but now that I work 2nd shift its not a big deal as I'm not home to worry about watching something else while 5 things are recording

I got a buddy's install coming up. He's switching from TWC and he's getting an HR44 and 4 HR24's. that's going to be a great system.

Yea if I went that route it would give me 5 tuners for the genie and 2 for the dvr. I'm guessing on order to see what's in the genie in the bedroom you have to have a client ?

Yea if I went that route it would give me 5 tuners for the genie and 2 for the dvr. I'm guessing on order to see what's in the genie in the bedroom you have to have a client ?

nope the hr24 and genie can see the recordings on the other unit, play them and delete them, just not schedule them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)