Directv Going To Lease Only On 3/1/06

Status
Please reply by conversation.
herdfan said:
This is contrary to what Solid Signal says in an e-mail.

Not doubting you, but Solid Signal is a fairly large online dealer. I would like to know for sure since I am going to purchase another HR10-250 tomorrow. If I have to activate it, then so be it.
I got that email from SS today. It is legitimate.Check the D* website it says you have 30 days to activate the reciever or DVR when you buy it by 2/28/06. Its not a lease. They cant change the rules of the game under a promotion during its duration. If you buy after 2/28/06 then its a lease.

Last edited:
Here's a question. I have an H20 that I moved from the living room because I got the HR10-250 and planned on putting it in the master bedroom. Surprise to me when trying to hook it up to my old TV with only a coax input that I couldn't because there isn't any coax output on the H20. So I deactivated the H20.

With this latest word about having to activate new receivers by the end of March do you think that also includes receivers like this one that was activated and then deactivated? Sounds like it might be time to upgrade that old TV to a new LCD HDTV. :)

dcwebman said:
Here's a question. I have an H20 that I moved from the living room because I got the HR10-250 and planned on putting it in the master bedroom. Surprise to me when trying to hook it up to my old TV with only a coax input that I couldn't because there isn't any coax output on the H20. So I deactivated the H20.

If you are interested in using that H20 on an older TV, with no A/V inputs, try this unit from Radio Shack. Takes the A/V input from the H20 and turns it into a coaxial RF signal. Works good, on one I set up.
http://www.radioshack.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2032188&cp=2032057.2032187

Ok, maybe tomorrow somebody should just call I try to get a HD-Tivo. I just can't believe they are going to charge 400 for a Tivo upfront & then call it a lease. I

may just do it myself just to see what happens.

dcwebman said:

With this latest word about having to activate new receivers by the end of March do you think that also includes receivers like this one that was activated and then deactivated? Sounds like it might be time to upgrade that old TV to a new LCD HDTV. :)

As far as receivers that were activated before march 1st, and then deactivated, they are still considered owned, and can be activated, and deactivated at any time, so you can wait to get your LCD HDTV.

At this point given the one year delay in any real HD national channel additions and the HDLITE state of the HD perhaps a toshiba HDDVD player is a better investment .

Holy !@#$ !

The guy a BB knew about the change to the lease model tomorrow. I went in to pick up another HR10-250 and the rep said I needed to buy it today because things are changing tomorrow. I was stunned.:eek:

Regardless of what D*'s website says, (Thanks Vurbano) I am going to activate it today just to make sure.

this lease model is absolute crap. what is the difference in paying 400 to lease vs. the 400 you would have spent buying it? it is like leasing a 25000$ car and paying 25000 UPFRONT plus a monthly fee to drive it.......

as I said before I MUST be misreading all this. it is insanity.

it is more like getting a $25,000 car and getting it for $10,000 and getting free insurance and upkeep for as long as you have that model for 5.99 per month.

basshive said:
this lease model is absolute crap. what is the difference in paying 400 to lease vs. the 400 you would have spent buying it? it is like leasing a 25000$ car and paying 25000 UPFRONT plus a monthly fee to drive it.......

as I said before I MUST be misreading all this. it is insanity.

I agree it is INSANITY. It will be a COLD day in HELL when I pay 400 dollars for the privaledge of obtaining an HD DVR from D* so that I can then pay a lease fee EVERY month so that I can give D* money for their HDLite pack?:confused: and commit to a 2 year contract?????????? With termination fees of what 300 dollars??? Im sorry but only a FOOL would do that.

Last edited:
it is more like getting a $25,000 car and getting it for $10,000 and getting free insurance and upkeep for as long as you have that model for 5.99 per month.

and my doesn't that 10 grand up front sound GREAT!!!!! please.

man it is a good thing you dont work in the retention department, or worry about their finances, they would be broke tomorrow. god forbid someone think their model just plain sucks and says something about it. that MUST mean they need to jump ship asap!

dont like anything, leave! nice philosophy you got there.

basshive said:
man it is a good thing you dont work in the retention department, or worry about their finances, they would be broke tomorrow. god forbid someone think their model just plain sucks and says something about it. that MUST mean they need to jump ship asap!

IMO, its pretty much a reflection of the company.

So, I just called to upgrade my two dtc-100's. I spent over 30 minutes on the phone with retention. Here is what I heard about the lease deal starting tomorrow:

You can purchase and own equipment after March 1st. The price will be the cost to directv for the equipment. In my example I was talking about an H20. The woman told me that tomorrow the price will be $250 for the reciever and there will be no rebates. For $250 I would own the box. Or the lease deal would be a $99 upgrade fee because I have a dtc-100 and then 4.99 a month for the receiver.

This is crap, man. I told them their lease deal was an insult and made the poor rep keep repeating "but sir, we need to keep up with the technology" and "our technology is cutting edge" and "I'm sorry you feel that way about our lease program, but the equipment is covered under warranty for life"....yea I hope so since you own it...

I never ever though I would say "Comcast is looking good about now".

basshive said:

if directv sucks that bad,,,,move on........

dragon002, you're a bit of a **** aren't you? Seems to me all you can do is post garbage. Maybe you ought to go watch TV and leave the dicsussion to people who are ....um....discussing and maybe adding real content.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)