Directv Going To Lease Only On 3/1/06

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have been trying to figure out this, but am a little confused, about it.

I buy a new MPG2 HD DVR before March 1st, I own the unit.

Later this year when my locals are available, and the new MPG4 HD DVR comes out, D* replaces my MPG2 DVR with their new MPG4 unit.

Will I own that new MPG4 DVR or does it fall under their lease program?

I think it will be at least 2 years before the new dvrs really see any true mainstream deployment from D*. So I would say you're safe no matter which course you choose.

lou_do said:
I have been trying to figure out this, but am a little confused, about it.

I buy a new MPG2 HD DVR before March 1st, I own the unit.

Later this year when my locals are available, and the new MPG4 HD DVR comes out, D* replaces my MPG2 DVR with their new MPG4 unit.

Will I own that new MPG4 DVR or does it fall under their lease program?

D* hasn't said if the upgrade offer later this year will be to lease, or to buy. It depends on if the upgrade offer is that you switch over to lease, and then they upgrade you, or if the upgrade offer is based on the fact that you own the receiver, and are upgrading it. It all depends on how D* looks at it, but I would imagine closer to the release time of the new HR20, they will have more info available.

I called Customer retention today and this is what I learned.
Starting March 1 you can lease an HD DVR for the cost of $499 - $200 rebate that they will be extending for leases only. When it comes time to swap (not till next year for me) the swap will be free. If, however, you own the box, it will cost you $99 for the swap (receiver and new 5 LNB dish).
So, it looks to me to be a $200 savings to go with the lease program and I don't have to worry about it breaking down since I'm leasing it. $4.99 extra receiver charge will be replaced with $4.99 lease charge so that's a wash.

Adubya said:
I called Customer retention today and this is what I learned.
Starting March 1 you can lease an HD DVR for the cost of $499 - $200 rebate that they will be extending for leases only. When it comes time to swap (not till next year for me) the swap will be free. If, however, you own the box, it will cost you $99 for the swap (receiver and new 5 LNB dish).
So, it looks to me to be a $200 savings to go with the lease program and I don't have to worry about it breaking down since I'm leasing it. $4.99 extra receiver charge will be replaced with $4.99 lease charge so that's a wash.

so in other words, it's the same price as if you were going to buy it from directv right now. altho it's like dishnet where to outright buy equipment without a contract you pay even more. so instead of $499 to buy it'll be in the $600+ range. heh...

oh well, at least you get guaranteed working equipment all the time instead of worrying about the equipment protection or warranty.

BFG said:
I guess those that want the HD-DVR should buy it for $299 before 2/28 and have some asset in it
Yes, there may be some value in that asset, however isn't the upcoming D* DVR supposed to be better? If it is, it sounds like it would be cheaper to lease now & get a free upgrade later (rather than having to pay for an upgraded unit later if you owned). At least that's what I'm thinking.

sorry if somebody already got an answer to this question. I currently have the HR10-250 but I didn't get the service/insurance plan. I wonder if that plan will go away after march 1st? If that's the case and my tivo breaks then I'm screwed, right? Now, I do see online that I still have the option to add the service plan so I'm thinking about doing it just in case.

Here is the question I have. Is this lease program NOT to lure the cable customers over? I mean, I have Charter and their HDDVR unit (MOXI) and I love it. The reason I am looking at switching is due to their fued with FOX (sinclair) and lack of ESPNU, ESPN2HD, and a few others. However, my MOXI box was given to me to use, if it breaks I call and get a new one, and there is no 300 dollars to put up front. What I want to know is how Directv or dish network are planning on luring me away. . .I have to pay 300 bucks EXTRA for equipment that I get from cable for free. I think D* and E* are going about it the wrong way to lure me in. At least when i call now they have an excuse ("but you own the equipment sir"). Even owning, however, is useless since you must have their service in order for the box to even work. . .so what good is owning equipment that is linked to the service when you can get that equipment for free on Charter with their service. I really see this as a huge problem that D* and E* need to fix before I'll be switching. . .unless my thinking is wrong. . .

Fgsilva said:
sorry if somebody already got an answer to this question. I currently have the HR10-250 but I didn't get the service/insurance plan. I wonder if that plan will go away after march 1st? If that's the case and my tivo breaks then I'm screwed, right? Now, I do see online that I still have the option to add the service plan so I'm thinking about doing it just in case.

After March 1st, you will still be able to add the protection plan. The only thing that changes with the protection plan is if you were to lease your receivers, then since the receivers are not owned by you, the protection plan only covers the dish, wiring, and remote, so it is only $5.99. If you own your equipment everything will stay the same, and you can sign up for the protection plan at any time.

I've not been reading every comment in this specific forum, but it seems there are some misunderstandings.

With the new leasing model going into effect on 3/1, Existing Customers who currently own their equipment will still own their equipment, unless they call in to upgrade or get replacement ird's. At the time of the upgrade/replacement ordering, they will be given the option to opt into the leasing offer, or continue to own equipment. The advantages of leasing the equipment is, lower upfront cost (for the initial upgrade), $4.99 leasing fee (which covers equipment and programming for that ird). Leasing customers will NOT have to pay an additional mirroring fee. Only the leasing fee. Leasing customers will also have ability to request replacement units at no equipment cost, only handling and delivery. Customers who opt to continue to own will have a larger upfront cost for purchasing the equipment, no commitment, $4.99 programming mirroring fee (no leasing fee), and they will be able to keep their equipment at time of disconnection,

Protection plan will still be available for both customers who lease and own their equipment. Leasing covers the ird itself, not the dish, wiring, remotes, etc. Service calls will still be chargeable. Customers who currently own their equipment and have the protection plan will still be charged their normal Protection Plan fee and has the same coverage as before.

I think that's all that I've seen addressed so far. I hope this sheds some light on issues.

Since DTV is becoming just like cable there should not be any service calls, period!

DTV isn't becoming like cable. . .they still charge you an "upgrade" fee which is laughable at best. In order to get cable customers to switch, you need to offer comparable pricing. . .299 dollars AFTER a rebate will keep most out!

Andyman33 said:
DTV isn't becoming like cable. . .they still charge you an "upgrade" fee which is laughable at best. In order to get cable customers to switch, you need to offer comparable pricing. . .299 dollars AFTER a rebate will keep most out!

I stand corrected. They are becoming worst than cable.

Andyman33 said:

andy, that units pricing started at around 499, it is down to 99 after rebate. IMHO it will be 49 very soon. hell when DIRECTV first started out, a single system was 700 and a two IRD system was 1200. and they now have 15.25 million subs.

dragon002 said:
andy, that units pricing started at around 499, it is down to 99 after rebate. IMHO it will be 49 very soon. hell when DIRECTV first started out, a single system was 700 and a two IRD system was 1200. and they now have 15.25 million subs.

That's apples to oranges. Many of the people who started out with DTV lived in the sticks (no cable) or were sports fanatics. IMO, the high price of DTV in the early years is why E* has customers.

Roger said:
That's apples to oranges. Many of the people who started out with DTV lived in the sticks (no cable) or were sports fanatics. IMO, the high price of DTV in the early years is why E* has customers.

ya know roger,

for once i agree with you. if ergen wasnt the loss leader he would have done the primestar thing years ago. and that is THE ONLY REASON he even has subs,,,IMHO

Andyman33 said:

It is not bothering people around here. Many people are switching to D* & E* because the local cable company refusing to add one of the local RSNs to its programing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts