Directv H20 receiver / Samsung TV question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bornjc

Original poster
Sep 20, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the Directv H20 and my Samsung LN-T5265F TV won't recognize it through the directv HDMI jack. I know it's not the cable. It's not the TV jacks.
I called Directv and the rep said some tv's don't communicate via the HDMI with this receiver. I tend to think it's a bad Receiver jack. Anyone else had this trouble?

You may want to check the firmware version you have on your Sammy. I know some of the earlier 65s had some hdmi issues.

Make sure the Directv receiver is set to 720P (resolution button/lights on front or different cables). Try turning off the TV with the receiver on and to the correct resolution, wait 15 seconds, turn back on and switch to HDMI input. Also have "native" off.

The Samsung TV's are a little stubborn when "talking" over HDMI. My Samsung DLP didn't show anything until bumped up to the higher resolutions.

I have no issues with HDMI with my Samsung. Did you try to reset the receiver? I have read in some posts that people have done a few times and it seemed to resolve itself.

Also - no issues with native on or off. I have also had no issues with individual resolutions.

Does it work with component cables? Do you have a second tv that has hdmi which you could try it on?

Oh - and typical - they usually always blame the issue on the tv or its firmware.

There are no standards for how TV builders were supposed to implement HDMI, they all do it a little differently. DirecTV is trying to fix it so it will work with all of the different versions but is still having trouble with a few brands. I think some models of the Samsungs are working well. The manufacturers are trying to get it right too. There is no blame for anyone, just a problem to be solved by everyone concerned.

I know that certain models of the Samsung are not very compatible with the HDMI connection. I don't know the model numbers but ran into this problem on several installs and service calls. Supposedly Samsung was going to make some sort of connector so that it would work. I am not sure if this has happened but this is what they tell us. The D* receivers are just not compatible with those certain models of Samsung.

What capabilities are you looking for? I prefer it for the digitial connection which displays a little difference in quality. If you are looking for digital audio then you can use an optical cable with component.

My Samsung was working fine via HDMI with my HR20 and then one day it didn't work. Component cables worked fine. I called and got a replacement HR20 that indeed worked again with HDMI. At least that's one good thing when they went to the lease way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the Directv H20 and my Samsung LN-T5265F TV won't recognize it through the directv HDMI jack. I know it's not the cable. It's not the TV jacks.
I called Directv and the rep said some tv's don't communicate via the HDMI with this receiver. I tend to think it's a bad Receiver jack. Anyone else had this trouble?

Try using the Hdmi cable that came with the h20 i have an h20 on a hls5086 samsung dlp that is working fine

It's probably the generation of Sammy that he has, try looking on the website or give them a call (Sammy) and verify what firmware that should be on it.
If it's not up to date, they should have an easy fix for you.

Jimbo

I have the H20600 and my TV is a Samsung HL-S5087W. I have used both the Monster MI 1000 and the intermediate priced Belkin hdmi cables without any problems.

Last edited:
I would like to have the HDMI capabilities.

I had a similar problem with my 40" Samsung LCD.

Make sure that your H20 is outputting it's HDMI signal at 480P, 720P or 1080I, not 480I.

For some reason, some Sammys don't like 480I.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I was sent a replacement h20 in Sept. It was a -100/ The hdmi did not work. My Tv was a Sony. After several tech reps. one told me that the new h20100's had a software problem with hdmi, they had no fix for it yet and I would have to use composite cables. I figured out what was wrong with my h20-600 and sent the new one back. Maybe they have the software problem fixed now. Good luck.

Try Hooking Up A Dvd Player To The Hdmi On The Sammy. If It Plays You Know Its The H-20 And Not The Tv. I Have A Sammy 56 Dlp And Two 32 Sammy Lcd's And All Three Work On Hdmi With The H-20-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)