DirecTV has crazy retention deals right now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I switched to Hulu with Live TV but decided to give DirecTV retentions a chance first. I got a terrible offer. She told me since I was grandfathered on a retired packaged I wouldn't receive a price increase this month. The first and only offer she made was $25 off per month for 12 months and a six month free trial of the Sports Pack. She then tried to sell me on DirecTV Now and lied to me about my local channels being available (none are available; she said all were available). Finally, after telling me she had never heard of Hulu with Live TV, she told me that I had to pay extra for a DVR with Hulu (which isn't true). Amazing how she knew that even though she'd never heard of the service before. The cancellation was processed with no further attempt to retain me.

I’d suggest calling retention and see if a different rep could help, not all reps know about cord cutting and various streaming services.
You could also try the directv win back department if services were cancelled already.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I’d suggest calling retention and see if a different rep could help, not all reps know about cord cutting and various streaming services.
You could also try the directv win back department if services were cancelled already.
Yup, if ya don't like the 1st offer, always call back again.
And make sure you get ahold of the Retention/ Loyalty dept.

Yup, if ya don't like the 1st offer, always call back again.

Lots of truth here. Called for my Pops. His bill had crept up to $148 a month. The first person I called was uninterested in helping. So I called back and made sure I selected the "disconnect my service" options in the IVR.

Rep I talked to on that call asked a few questions and said "How about we leave your package the same, and knock of $70 a month?". DONE! Unfortunately, it happened the day Dad's bill generated. So this month didn't get the update. Looking for that to happen next month.

Lots of truth here. Called for my Pops. His bill had crept up to $148 a month. The first person I called was uninterested in helping. So I called back and made sure I selected the "disconnect my service" options in the IVR.

Rep I talked to on that call asked a few questions and said "How about we leave your package the same, and knock of $70 a month?". DONE! Unfortunately, it happened the day Dad's bill generated. So this month didn't get the update. Looking for that to happen next month.
When you said Cancel it sent you to the Retention/Loyalty dept.

Last edited:
any retention deals for DISH? I was told a person got $30 off for 2 years.

We canceled back in October and they wouldn't do jack. Our bill at the time was around $180 and we have been with them since 2000. They recommended we reduce our programming package if we wanted to save money. So we canceled. Since that time Ive gotten numerous emails, phone calls and regular mail begging us to come back with some pretty impressive offers but haven't pulled the trigger.

The first rep gave me incorrect return instructions so I had to call to find out how to return the receiver. Since I was calling anyway, decided to give this a try. They made NO offer at all to win me back. Literally, offered nothing. Guess a five year customer wasn't good enough. Oh well.

Called in today to have Sunday ticket removed so as to not get charged next year. Before I knew it theguy was offering me 30 dollars off a month for the next year I am already getting 50 dollars off for year due to a phone call last month. Then he offers me Starz and showtime free for a year. Just had to agree to one year contract. This wasn't even someone in customer loyalty who set me up. I still deal with pixlation at times but pretty good deal to keep me around.

Called in today to have Sunday ticket removed so as to not get charged next year. Before I knew it theguy was offering me 30 dollars off a month for the next year I am already getting 50 dollars off for year due to a phone call last month. Then he offers me Starz and showtime free for a year. Just had to agree to one year contract. This wasn't even someone in customer loyalty who set me up. I still deal with pixlation at times but pretty good deal to keep me around.

Similar thing happened to me. I called in for the same reason, not looking for any deals or anything like that, just honestly wanted to remove NFLST. I was offered $40/month off for a year without even asking for anything!

That, coupled with my current new customer promotion and the AT&T unlimited data deal, I’m getting the Xtra package on 4 TVs absolutely free!

Didn't work for me. Got retention and spoke with a pleasant woman. Asked the reason for wanting to cancel, I told her just trying to cut back on a few things. She gladly helped set up a disconnection date, which I wasn't expecting. Told her to make it For this Friday. Needless to say, gonna need to try again:)

Ok...Strike 2! Called back a little bit ago, with no luck, still. Although, she did can cel my request to terminate AND got myself $5/month off. Not what I was hoping for, but at least I tried.

Been a customer for 8 years and I have no discounts currently. Called and the best they could do is $30/mo off. Said no. He also tried other things like lowering my package and having me sign up for an AT&T Wireless deal that gave me free HBO.

One thing I noticed was that he said something to the effect of "Here is what I can do within my budget...". Maybe he already blew through the big discounts he was able to give over a certain time period? Do we know if their "budgets" reset at a particular interval? For example, are the best discounts at the beginning of the month?

Been a customer for 8 years and I have no discounts currently. Called and the best they could do is $30/mo off. Said no. He also tried other things like lowering my package and having me sign up for an AT&T Wireless deal that gave me free HBO.

One thing I noticed was that he said something to the effect of "Here is what I can do within my budget...". Maybe he already blew through the big discounts he was able to give over a certain time period? Do we know if their "budgets" reset at a particular interval? For example, are the best discounts at the beginning of the month?
Its the other way around I believe ... each persons account is eligible for a certain amount of discounts, I have no idea how they determine that though.

There was a time when a $30 per month discount was a GREAT discount ...
I personally have never gotten more than $20, but I don't call but once a year for ST discount ... (at least I use to.)

Times have changed, the price of service has gotten really high and alternatives have gotten better. I like Directv, but $30/mo this time around isn't going to cut it. I'll try again and see what I get from the CSR lottery. For the first time ever though, I think I am unwilling to take a new contract if they tie good deals to it... I just found out that AirTV is going to be coming out with a OTA DVR soon. Once that comes out, I think I'm going SlingTV+AirTV. You really can't beat the price.

Times have changed, the price of service has gotten really high and alternatives have gotten better. I like Directv, but $30/mo this time around isn't going to cut it. I'll try again and see what I get from the CSR lottery. For the first time ever though, I think I am unwilling to take a new contract if they tie good deals to it... I just found out that AirTV is going to be coming out with a OTA DVR soon. Once that comes out, I think I'm going SlingTV+AirTV. You really can't beat the price.
So your gonna stop something that you KNOW works, for something that at the moment is vaporware ?

In case you haven't noticed, Programming prices keep going up so that is passed along to the customer most of the time, in EVERY company, not just D*.

Yes, the Streaming industry is cheaper and the TV Providers are seeing that, Cable, D* and DISH ...
Some, are coming out with thier own streaming service ... ala D*Now ... this way they have the same options as the streaming people so they have something for others to go to if they want and they still keep them as a sub, if pricing is comparable.

It would be nice for every TV provider to drop thier price in half, but we know thats not gonna happen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)