DirecTV HD DVR - scheduled recordings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gigahurtz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2006
I'm very disappointed in the recording on the HD DVRs that DirecTV has. Either I'm doing something wrong, or there is a major flaw in this system.

I am looking to record certain series and every time I do, I select "first run only" and yet it still records every instance of that program under "view upcoming". How do I prevent this from happening? It's really disappointing that my ancient cable company DVR had an option to record a series with runnings only at a certain time (for example: every night at 11 PM). Why is this not possible with DTV? What am I doing wrong?

You can do a manual schedule that offers you that option.

The 'first run only' works fine for most shows, but if the guide data is twitchy for some reason, it will err on the side of caution.

Question: when you look at view upcoming is there a red circle R beside each occurrence?

I did just realize that the red circles meant those are the ones that are recording and no, it's not by each one. For example, I have "The Daily Show" set to record for first run only. Monday evenings show at 11 PM is set, but Tuesday and so on are not, even though they are new recordings.

there is no issues with the app; the issues are with the fact the episode / program / EPG data may not reflect the status of the show; the DRV errs on the side of caution and records it.

what charper said. there are times i see this when i'm scheduling to record for example a series. i then just leave it alone and it usually fixes itself. if you will watch a specific recording everyday then you can also set it to keep one episode at a time. this was useful for me when i used to record NFL live. problem was it would air at 4pm then repeat at midnight so i would have two recordings of the exact same thing.i set it to keep one recording at a time. just another option for you to look at if needed.

also if there is no date it will record all episodes. There is a show that is on twice a week (Saturday night and late Sunday night). There is no date for the guide just says "1 hr" and the timer sets for both

Also note if there is a conflict you may see the list all jacked up with "wont record". Alot of the cable stations show it twice. So as example Pawn Stars is on at 9 & 9:30 (CST). I have 2 shows already recording with higher priority. So Monday night it may show in the list at 9 & 9:30 "wont record". Dont worry the receiver will fix that. It finds the next replay and then schedules it to record (which is 1 & 1:30AM the next morning)

I have noticed my scheduled recordings have adjusted accordingly. Not all, but most. This isn't a huge issue, it's just frustrating that's all.

I was the same way when I got a HD DVR and started seeing "wont record" on some programs when shows like Pawn Stars have no guide info other than the generic "3 generations of men run a Las Vegas Pawn Shop" so all of a sudden I see 28 episodes to record 2 weeks out. It usually fixes itself come the day before or the day of :)

And once again.. :) SatelliteGuys and a few of you good posters come thru ... I guess the day one attempt to re-set-up my timers jitters got me (just transferred from Dish)... I had loads of Dr Who's setup to record when it should've been "First Runs" ... given a few hours.. an <POW!> timers starting to settle knowing they *aren't* the first runs and now back to zero dr's set to record .. damned you BBC get on the ball .. start the new series already!! :)

I'm very disappointed in the recording on the HD DVRs that DirecTV has. Either I'm doing something wrong, or there is a major flaw in this system.

I am looking to record certain series and every time I do, I select "first run only" and yet it still records every instance of that program under "view upcoming". How do I prevent this from happening? It's really disappointing that my ancient cable company DVR had an option to record a series with runnings only at a certain time (for example: every night at 11 PM). Why is this not possible with DTV? What am I doing wrong?

As lparsons said you can do a manual recording. Go to menu, settings, manage recordings, manual. From there you set it up just like a VCR Start time, stop time, which days of the week and what channel. I do this for some ESPN programs that run more than once per day.

And once again.. :) SatelliteGuys and a few of you good posters come thru ... I guess the day one attempt to re-set-up my timers jitters got me (just transferred from Dish)... I had loads of Dr Who's setup to record when it should've been "First Runs" ... given a few hours.. an <POW!> timers starting to settle knowing they *aren't* the first runs and now back to zero dr's set to record .. damned you BBC get on the ball .. start the new series already!! :)

yup. Every week I see my DVR fill up with a bunch of "no program listed" episodes of shows (Pawn Stars, Cajun Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc) for like 10 days out and usually in a few days they start disappearing when guide info is added

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)