DIRECTV HD: Is Tomorrow the Big Day?

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
DIRECTV HD: Is Tomorrow the Big Day?

Several signs point to Wednesday as when the satcaster begins its high-def expansion.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 18, 2007) -- Are we getting close?

DIRECTV has teased HD owners for several months now with promises of offering up to 100 high-def channels. But there are several indicators that the satcaster will finally begin its HD expansion tomorrow, September 19:

* DIRECTV's customer service representatives have been telling callers that new HD channels will be added on Wednesday.

While CSRs are often misinformed about the company's plans, roughly 25 TVPredictions.com readers in the last few days have reported that their CSR has cited the September 19 date. It would appear that the customer reps are getting that information from a central source: likely DIRECTV's corporate office.

* An internal DIRECTV document, which was leaked at the web site SatelliteGuys.us, states that the expansion will begin on September 19. While a DIRECTV spokesman told one trade publication that the document was outdated, he didn't contradict the reference to September 19.

* And finally, DIRECTV has been testing its new DIRECTV 10 satellite. But until yesterday, system tests on DIRECTV HD receivers in customer homes showed mixed signal strengths from the new bird. However, today, the satellite is beaming strong signals on all transponders, a sign it's ready to go.

If DIRECTV begins the expansion tomorrow, it will likely add from 20 to 40 new HD channels with more coming later in the month.

The satcaster has said it will go from 10 HD channels to 70 HD channels by month's end and 100 HD channels by the end of the year.

Yeah I just hope Dish can add some more ""National HD"" in the next couple of weeks or so. I saw that CSTV has a HD channel be nice to get more sports in HD. :)

Yeah I just hope Dish can add some more ""National HD"" in the next couple of weeks or so. I saw that CSTV has a HD channel be nice to get more sports in HD. :)

What do you mean hope? You've always been posting saying that E* would always stay ahead of D* on HD programming, you changing your mind;)

Last edited:
Well I like Dish over Direct and I think Dish HD Receivers are better than Direct.. Right now Direct is playing catch up this will make the race allot closer if they get these channels up. BUT if you look at the list of channels Direct is adding to their HD Lineup Dish already has some of them. Also Direct is throwing numbers around again in that they will have 70 channels of HD so forth. Well it all depends on what HD Channels you are including in the count. Like the last list I saw it included the RSN's HD Channels in the list which I think Dish has most of.

So folks need to look at the list of HD Channels they are putting in as a totally count so when its all said done. When Direct gets their new HD Channels up and running this will just make both providers closer in numbers. Now in this list I see about 18-22 channels that Dish does not have that Direct claims they will have. But this does not mean that Dish can not get them as well. Right now we will half to wait and see what happens but overall all this will do is make things more even in the HD Race is all. Once a National Network goes live with the HD Version of the channel then any provider can carry it if they choose too. Overall I'm just glad to see more networks get their HD Channels up. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)