DirecTV....Hidden costs?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I currently use a BUD, but the rumor mill says Motorola will discontinue service at the end of 2010. I have had Dish Network so I know about their hidden charges and fees.
What types of fees and charges can I expect per month from DirecTV?

Thanks

There are no hidden fees with DirecTV. Everything is on their website, albeit a bit hard to find.

The only real hidden cost is the taxes imposed by your state or locality.

Access fees for DVR service and HD service fro some people, but they're all on my bill. I wouldn't call them hidden. How does Dish Network hide their charges?

One thing you'll get that won't be mentioned on D*'s website is your local state taxes. I have $1.56 in sales tax plus 7.98 in "North Carolina Video Services Tax." Thanks Time Warner Cable lobbyist :rant::rant: :mad::mad:

They don't tell you about the charges and then you get the first bill and there they are. They tried to charge me rental on a receiver I owned. That kind of thing.

Lets try this a different way.....

I'm thinking of the "Choice Extra" package. What will my bill look like?

Greg Mueller said:
They don't tell you about the charges and then you get the first bill and there they are. They tried to charge me rental on a receiver I owned. That kind of thing.

Lets try this a different way.....

I'm thinking of the "Choice Extra" package. What will my bill look like?

How many receivers and what kind (SD or HD)

They tried to charge me rental on a receiver I owned. That kind of thing.

If you have more than one receiver you would still have a $5 fee even though you own it. It is a mirror fee instead of a lease fee. No mater what you have a $5 fee per receiver after the first one.

If you go to the DirecTV website it will give you total cost in your shopping cart (minus taxes). It includes any DVR fees, receiver fees, etc.

It's just me and the wife so just one receiver. I suppose we will want SD but can we upgrade later? We are planning a move to another state but we have to sell real estate first so we are not sure when that will happen. When we move we for sure will want HD I think (Aren't the "Free HD Channels" just the same as the ones normally supplied in SD except of course in HD?)

Every time I changed programming on Dish, they charged me $5 even if I added to my programming. They even charged a fee if I didn't have the receiver connected to the phone line.

IMO Dish just plain lies and denies. That's why I quit them and went to the BUD.

It's just me and the wife so just one receiver. I suppose we will want SD but can we upgrade later? We are planning a move to another state but we have to sell real estate first so we are not sure when that will happen. When we move we for sure will want HD I think (Aren't the "Free HD Channels" just the same as the ones normally supplied in SD except of course in HD?)

Every time I changed programming on Dish, they charged me $5 even if I added to my programming. They even charged a fee if I didn't have the receiver connected to the phone line.

IMO Dish just plain lies and denies. That's why I quit them and went to the BUD.

With the 1st TWO HD receivers being free along with HD service being free for life (with autopay) when you sign up for DirecTV service, just sign up for HD right away and hook it to your SD TV.

Moving I believe is FREE without contract extension as long as your not upgrading equipment when you do move.

I believe the $10 programming change on DirecTV applies when you change programming less then 30 days after you added that programming, but please don't quote me on that.

No phone line fees.

I just got my first bill, no surprises for me.

Direct does not have a change of program fee nor do they have a no phone line connection fee. The only fees they have are for the package, additional receivers/DVRs (all are $5 extra), HD ($10, now free to new subs), DVR service ($7), MRV ($3) if you chose to have it, and protection plan ($5) if you chose to have it.

Since you are getting only SD on one TV it looks like you will only be paying the package fee only. If you want a DVR it will be an additional $7

Direct does not have a change of program fee nor do they have a no phone line connection fee. The only fees they have are for the package, additional receivers/DVRs (all are $5 extra), HD ($10, now free to new subs), DVR service ($7), MRV ($3) if you chose to have it, and protection plan ($5) if you chose to have it.

Since you are getting only SD on one TV it looks like you will only be paying the package fee only. If you want a DVR it will be an additional $7

Direc doesnt have 2 independent tuner boxes so they have no second tuner phoneline fee..however...

(5) Up to $10.00 Change of Service Fee, if you change your Service package to a lower-priced package. See also Section 5(b).

DIRECTV: Customer Agreement

And here's one that dish hasn't thunk up (yet)

(6) Up to $10.00 Phone Payment Fee, if you elect to pay any outstanding balance over the telephone with an agent. To avoid this fee, you can pay your bill through our Automated Phone System by saying "Pay my bill," or at directv.com.

Last edited:
Moving I believe is FREE without contract extension as long as your not upgrading equipment when you do move.
they do charge $50 if you move within the 1st year and they have to put a new dish up. There is no charge if you do it or you "move" :)

I believe the $10 programming change on DirecTV applies when you change programming less then 30 days after you added that programming, but please don't quote me on that.
correct.

other than that the only extra fees I can think of (besides programming) are
$7 for the DVR
$5 for each additional receiver

Key words there Juan is "UP to"...that doesnt mean they charge it ;)

Unlike DIsh which like to use the words "starting at" like if you add a receiver the fee will "start at" $7....could be $17 though ;)

Direc doesnt have 2 independent tuner boxes so they have no second tuner phoneline fee..however...

(5) Up to $10.00 Change of Service Fee, if you change your Service package to a lower-priced package. See also Section 5(b).

DIRECTV: Customer Agreement

And here's one that dish hasn't thunk up (yet)

(6) Up to $10.00 Phone Payment Fee, if you elect to pay any outstanding balance over the telephone with an agent. To avoid this fee, you can pay your bill through our Automated Phone System by saying "Pay my bill," or at directv.com.
I have never been charged, nor do I know of anyone that has been charged for changing to a lower package. In fact, sometimes people will request lower packages due to financial issues and Direct will give them even further discounts

When I changed from the Premier package to the choice xtra with separate Starz and Showtime they didn't charge me. When I dropped Showtime later they didn't charge me either. I don't even have a land line phone right now and they don't charge me for that either.

I ordered DirecTv a few weeks back. I also have been using my Bud for 23 years for subs. I ordered the choice SD package with one receiver (that's all I need now) My bill with one receiver is $24.99 a month for the first 12 months. I had a free install and equipment and have only spent $24.99 so far. There were no hidden fee's that I got. You just have to follow the steps to get the online rebates before you get installed and everything should go smoothly. If you have any of the NPS channels on G3 you will be in for a treat since Direct's picture is much better. Direct has been pretty good so far for me.

I have never been charged, nor do I know of anyone that has been charged for changing to a lower package. In fact, sometimes people will request lower packages due to financial issues and Direct will give them even further discounts
I "think" that charge is for the folks who were ordering HBO for a weekend and then dropping it..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)