DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know there wasnt one yesterday but I might tonight. Right now I'm just going through setting up favorite list and timers...and enjoying my HR34 :)

Congrats! I got my HR34 on Tuesday and love it. If you notice it getting sluggish do a reset. I did one on Wednesday AM and it has been running great ever since. Now all we need is the HD guide.

One thing I noticed when setting up favorites is it shows all channels available (excluding locals). It even shows the channels on 119 but I have a SL3 (99/101/103). The H23/R22 didnt show those channels in the list at all

Congrats ice on you HR34 I got mine yesterday and love it :) I hope there is a ce tonight :)

I know I've seen pics before but to quote Butt-head (of Beavis and Butt-head)

"This is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen"

I bet recording 5 shows simultaneously is the first thing that is done by anyone who has the HR34. :) LOL that's what I did, too. It's ultra-cool - and to top it off, I've never had whole home either and never realized how convenient it is to share recordings!

I bet recording 5 shows simultaneously is the first thing that is done by anyone who has the HR34. :)

the ironic thing is before I got the HR34 some would have been bumped to late night slots tonight. The stuff on A&E that is on from 8-9 & 9-10 is replayed at midnite-2AM so it would have grabbed it then. Had the Race, a b-ball game and a local wrestling show on tonight. All got recorded and I was able to throw a hockey game in there too :)

Its pretty cool to hit "list" and see 5 shows with a "R" after them :)

the ironic thing is before I got the HR34 some would have been bumped to late night slots tonight. The stuff on A&E that is on from 8-9 & 9-10 is replayed at midnite-2AM so it would have grabbed it then. Had the Race, a b-ball game and a local wrestling show on tonight. All got recorded and I was able to throw a hockey game in there too :)

Its pretty cool to hit "list" and see 5 shows with a "R" after them :)

Now it needs a Hard Drive to handle all of it.
1 TB doesn't seem like much with 5 tuners going.
Does it still have a esata connection to add an EHD ?

SWM is the LNB. It allows you to run one cable from the LNB to a splitter. DVR's only need one cable to them and no BBC are needed
It makes setups real slick. As example cable from the LNB to a 8 way splitter (Directv splitter)...one cable to R22, one cable to R22, one cable to the power inserter (can be hooked in line anywhere) to H23
The 8 way splitter means 8 tuners. So even though the HR34 uses one cable that takes up 5 "slots" on the splitter. If you go above 8 tuners then there is a different switch they use

Thanks for the info the power inserter is what I was worried about so it doesn't have to go too the dish itself it can be in the same room as the receiver? And I only have the 1 receiver in the whole house anyway.

Thanks

I didn't see this covered in this thread so I thought I would add my information in case it helps someone with a new install. I am new to D** from E** and Wed had the HR34 and 3 H25's installed in an All Home Media setup. One of my TV's is an older model HDTV but without an HDMI input. The H25's don't have anything but composite and HDMI outputs, so the HR34 was hooked up to this set with component cables. The system tested good and everything worked as it was supposed to except the H25's would not playback anything recorded. The guide would show the recordings but when you selected them they would usually not connect or if they did they wouldn't play. The installer said everything would work fine after 24hrs so I waited.

Yesterday I spent 2 hrs on the phone with tech support trying to get the system working correctly but no dice so they scheduled a tech to come out today. The tech showed up, took one look at the problem and said the HR34 had to be bad. He set up a work order to replace it next week and left. I decided to try changing the placement of the receivers and moved the HR34 to a room with an HDMI set and just connected the H25 in the other room with composite outputs.

Bingo!! Everything started working fine, except for the H25 connected with the composite outputs it still did the same thing. I called my original installer to try and cancel the work order and he sent me to his supervisor. The supervisor told me the system has to be connected with HDMI outputs for the Whole Home to work correctly, wish tech support knew this. Needed an excuse for a new TV anyway. So if you are going to get this system be aware everything has to be HDMI for it to work correctly.

Earl
Well new update, the system is back to doing the same thing so I am back to square one. The On Demand is not working correctly also. My wife downloaded 2 Grays Anatomy shows and when she watched them big sections were missing, including the ending for both shows. She is not a happy camper at this point. I am getting an upgrade to an HR24 for one of the H25's on Monday so when everything is finalized with the system I will get them started on making it work correctly.

Earl

Thanks for the info the power inserter is what I was worried about so it doesn't have to go too the dish itself it can be in the same room as the receiver? And I only have the 1 receiver in the whole house anyway.
yes.
When the tech was here yesterday for the HR34 upgrade we left the PI hooked up in the bedroom spot even though there was no receiver there anymore (all it does is power the splitter and LNB). Once I removed all the other receivers on the account (had to finish watching programs) and the splitter (to clean up the wiring) I hooked it up behind the entertainment center

So it goes LNB------cable----------------------------Power inserter-----HR34

fr8flyr said:
Well new update, the system is back to doing the same thing so I am back to square one. The On Demand is not working correctly also. My wife downloaded 2 Grays Anatomy shows and when she watched them big sections were missing, including the ending for both shows. She is not a happy camper at this point. I am getting an upgrade to an HR24 for one of the H25's on Monday so when everything is finalized with the system I will get them started on making it work correctly.

Earl

That means 3 more lines off the dish, they'll need to install a swm16. Hope you was aware of this

question? it is probably posted but can't find it in my search,can you have ota with a splitter by chance...regards

so far this thing is working pretty sweet! and its as fast or a tad faster than the HR24. Hadn't had MRV since it came out of Beta testing. no issues so far........

question? it is probably posted but can't find it in my search,can you have ota with a splitter by chance...regards

if you're going to use MRV then no. i had ota diplexed but because of mrv via coax i had to remove it. will run a 2nd line later on.

Only thing I'm not happy about so far is that I lost the optical connection. Yet it has coax which is older. I'll have to see if my av receiver has any coax connections.

Thinking of getting the HR34 and 3 additional rooms. Now...say the 3 bedrooms are watching live TV. Do they use their own tuner or do they use one of the 5 in the HR34? So could you record 5 programs at once then the other 3 rooms watch live TV?

Thinking of getting the HR34 and 3 additional rooms. Now...say the 3 bedrooms are watching live TV. Do they use their own tuner or do they use one of the 5 in the HR34? So could you record 5 programs at once then the other 3 rooms watch live TV?

Hey now this ain't a hopper/joey setup. ;) Yes you can.

The bottom line is, if you pick the prettiest girl at the brothel & are paying top $$ she better do anything that was asked of her. The same can be said with dish & directv. Their pricing is very close now & as a new customer for at least 2 yrs it will be a better deal than the other.

Awesome!! I figured as much but wasn't sure. Yeah that joey hopper thing is laughable. 3 tuners and you have to share...what were they thinking!!??

No busineess to be in this part of the world but just FYI, you can have 2 hopper if you need 6 tuners.

Status
Please reply by conversation.