DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thinking of getting the HR34 and 3 additional rooms. Now...say the 3 bedrooms are watching live TV. Do they use their own tuner or do they use one of the 5 in the HR34? So could you record 5 programs at once then the other 3 rooms watch live TV?

the CURRENT setup that Directv gives you yes this is how its done. They give you H25's (usually...may be a H24) which have their own independent tuner in it. So in a H34/3 H25 setup you have 8 tuners + the ability of the H25 watching something off the DVR
But when they come out with the RVU units then those units work off the 5 tuners of the HR34

No busineess to be in this part of the world but just FYI, you can have 2 hopper if you need 6 tuners.

Looks like that isn't supported at first. Plus it would blow my cost out of the water since I don't have AT200 nor do I need it. My mind is already made up anyways. The 8 tuners in the house sounds very nice and more than I need. Getting more for less is always nice!!

Thinking about it further I think it's a swm 8 in my system not the 16. I talked to the installer about the 16 but I think they used the 8. I don't know what the D** policy is on an upgrade, with E** they would add whatever was necessary to make the upgrade work at no charge. I can't see D** putting in an swm16 for free though. I'll have to see what the installer says when he comes tomorrow.

Earl

Have to wait until Wed now. It snowed last night and they need to install the swm16 switch but it is in a box on the roof, so no access. Everything will be melted by Wed so we'll see what happens then.

Earl

Thinking about it further I think it's a swm 8 in my system not the 16. I talked to the installer about the 16 but I think they used the 8. I don't know what the D** policy is on an upgrade, with E** they would add whatever was necessary to make the upgrade work at no charge. I can't see D** putting in an swm16 for free though. I'll have to see what the installer says when he comes tomorrow.

Earl

They installed a SWIM 16 for me at no extra charge, because I now have 11 tuners altogether. I have three HR-24's and the HR-34, although the HR-24's aren't playing back any of the recorded content off the HR-34.

Thinking of getting the HR34 and 3 additional rooms. Now...say the 3 bedrooms are watching live TV. Do they use their own tuner or do they use one of the 5 in the HR34?So could you record 5 programs at once then the other 3 rooms watch live TV?

the CURRENT setup that Directv gives you yes this is how its done. They give you H25's (usually...may be a H24) which have their own independent tuner in it. So in a H34/3 H25 setup you have 8 tuners + the ability of the H25 watching something off the DVR
But when they come out with the RVU units then those units work off the 5 tuners of the HR34

Keep in mind that if you went with one HR-34 and three H-25's that in order to pause live TV in one of the bedrooms with an H-25, that you would have to record the program on the HR-34 thus using one of its tuners. If pausing live TV is important you may want to switch an HR-24 for the H-25 in any of the room(s) that pausing live TV would be important for you to have. The same would be true, if and when the RVU units were made available.

no it wouldn't
The RVU's utilize a tuner on the HR34 which already has a DVR option so I assume it would work that way (DVR)

What I was trying to convey, was that whether you were pausing live TV on a H-25 box in a whole home set-up with a HMC HR-34 or watching TV on a RVU TV or client box, one of the HR-34 tuners would be used. Isn't that correct?

Just a quick update to the problems I've been having withmy three HR-24's not being able to play back recorded programs of of my HR-34. For the heck of it I decided to disconnect the 2tb EHD that was attached to itand voila, no more issues. The EHD had worked flawlessly on the HR-24 that my new HR-34 replaced. And, it was working flawlessly on the HR-34 except for the problems with my HR-24's not being able to play the content on the drive. I wouldn't have suspected it was the problem, but I had tried everything else and thought to give it a try. In speaking to a rep on the case management team, when I told him that I figured out the problem, he told me that there are only a few approved EHD's for the HR-34 and that they are all 1tb. Which doesn’t make any sense to me? Why would you want to replace the internal 1tb drive with a 1tb external drive? In any event, I guess I have to live with the puny 1tb drive that the HR-34 comes with. :)

you are correct. But if you're just watching something on the H25 that wont utilize a tuner on the HR34

WOO HOO! I did it :)

This morning I was setting up some timers for programs on Saturday because I'll be working. Setting some one time things like a hockey game and then all of a sudden it happened

"The program cannot be recorded because it conflicts with one or more OF THE FIVE TUNERS". :)

Yep. Had a conflict and didnt even try to.

Only time Ive had issues is a reboot. Now I have turned it on and had what seemed to be a tuner freeze. Channel up or changing a channel seemed to fix it. Ive not had to reboot mine in a long while, but Im on a two week old CE and it still needs work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)