DIRECTV HR34 Home Media Center

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am a new customer and when I was ordering I told them that the deal was dead unless I got one of the HR34's. Initially the CSR had me set up with the regular HD DVR until I said something. She went and talked to someone for 15 minutes and came back and repriced the deal to get the HR34. My install is setup for Monday morning. If the installer gets off that truck without the HR34 I'm cancelling the deal.

I sure hope they have it. I just ended my 11 year relationship with Dish. If not for their equipment fees and 6 tuner limit I would still be with them.
I'm really hoping that I like DirectTv. I've been a die hard Dish guy since I've had satellite.

I live in the St. Louis Metro area by the way.

I just want to verify if I finish wiring my house with ethernet that I would be able to use WHDVR. I have half my house wired, and have been meaning to finish. I even already have holes drilled for coax I used for antenna I just need to pull and connect wire. If HR34 will work via ethernet it would be a good incentive to complete this.

I am a new customer and when I was ordering I told them that the deal was dead unless I got one of the HR34's. Initially the CSR had me set up with the regular HD DVR until I said something. She went and talked to someone for 15 minutes and came back and repriced the deal to get the HR34. My install is setup for Monday morning. If the installer gets off that truck without the HR34 I'm cancelling the deal.

I sure hope they have it. I just ended my 11 year relationship with Dish. If not for their equipment fees and 6 tuner limit I would still be with them.
I'm really hoping that I like DirectTv. I've been a die hard Dish guy since I've had satellite.

I live in the St. Louis Metro area by the way.
Is HMC HD DVR on your order?

I just want to verify if I finish wiring my house with ethernet that I would be able to use WHDVR. I have half my house wired, and have been meaning to finish. I even already have holes drilled for coax I used for antenna I just need to pull and connect wire. If HR34 will work via ethernet it would be a good incentive to complete this.
Ethernet will work for WHDVR, but each box still needs to be connected to the Satellite coax. Did you do coax runs to each room?

Got the hr34 installed this weekend

So far I like it, I was with Dish for 10 years, but 5 tuners (actually 7 had a hr24 insatlled in a second room) I could not pass it up.
Anyway, I am happy so far, like directs VOD better than dish, need the hd GUIDE, there current is pretty ugly.
NO ONE at direct knows much about the HR34, I asked about the c30 clients, no idea, asked about the samsung tv install, no idea??
Does anyone know if I would just run the satelite feed into my home distribution, then out the the tv's and the satelite boxes? I think that is how it would work. Then the Rvu are on the network and can access the hr34.

Yes HMC was on my order but guess what? They screwed up my HD DVR and ordered an SD DVR. I caught it right after I got the e-mail and I called them back and they said they could not change it. They told me to wait on the installer and he could change it out. I asked them if I would be charged for this and the CSR told me she would have to check. She said I would be charged an extra $100.00 for the receiver although when I priced this package out there was a $100.00 reduction for the hd dvr. I said that was a deal breaker and they kept trying to talk me into keeping the appt. While talking to one of the supervisors I was asked why I iwas getting the HMC Hr34 and did I have a Samsung television. I told them due to a previous spat with a defective Samsung television (cracked screen) I would never buy one of their products again. The 2nd level CSR told me that the HR34 would only work with a Samsung television .......WHAT!!! I told her she was mistaken and that she did not understand how the box worked. I told her the main reason I wanted the box was for the 5 tuners and that I did not care about the RVU feature. She preceded to tell me that the box would not work with my Panasonic televisions and I needed to consider getting a SAMSUNG!

I was very close to literally cursing this person out and I thought better of it. I just told her to cancel my entire order and I was done. So at midnight tonight I will be without pay television for the first time in 20 yrs. I am going to take the oppurtunity to get back in the gym.

Last edited:
Call back, you'll get someone else that hopefully know more about the system than the last person.

Reshedule your set up and go from there.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I encourage you to follow Jimbo's advice. There is a learning curve for everyone with new equipment, even csrs and supervisors!

I encourage you to follow Jimbo's advice. There is a learning curve for everyone with new equipment, even csrs and supervisors!
Substituting an HD DVR for a wrongly entered SD DVR doesn't require knowledge of any new technology. The problem is learning to navigate the CSR scripts and that's an unfamiliarity with one's primary function.

Yes HMC was on my order but guess what? They screwed up my HD DVR and ordered an SD DVR. I caught it right after I got the e-mail and I called them back and they said they could not change it. They told me to wait on the installer and he could change it out. I asked them if I would be charged for this and the CSR told me she would have to check. She said I would be charged an extra $100.00 for the receiver although when I priced this package out there was a $100.00 reduction for the hd dvr. I said that was a deal breaker and they kept trying to talk me into keeping the appt. While talking to one of the supervisors I was asked why I iwas getting the HMC Hr34 and did I have a Samsung television. I told them due to a previous spat with a defective Samsung television (cracked screen) I would never buy one of their products again. The 2nd level CSR told me that the HR34 would only work with a Samsung television .......WHAT!!! I told her she was mistaken and that she did not understand how the box worked. I told her the main reason I wanted the box was for the 5 tuners and that I did not care about the RVU feature. She preceded to tell me that the box would not work with my Panasonic televisions and I needed to consider getting a SAMSUNG!

I was very close to literally cursing this person out and I thought better of it. I just told her to cancel my entire order and I was done. So at midnight tonight I will be without pay television for the first time in 20 yrs. I am going to take the oppurtunity to get back in the gym.

Order it online! No need to talk to anyone that doesn't understand what your asking... You can verify exactly what you've put into your cart, and in my case, I received a better promotion than I did while on with a CSR. I got an hr-34, hr-24, and 2 h-25's for $199+tax. Ordered on thursday morning, installed on friday evening. Couldn't be happier (well, except it would be great to have the HD GUI)!

Substituting an HD DVR for a wrongly entered SD DVR doesn't require knowledge of any new technology. The problem is learning to navigate the CSR scripts and that's an unfamiliarity with one's primary function.

:facepalm

I was referring to the csrs insistence that the HR34 needed to be connected to a Samsung television to work. Sometimes you are really dense.

Order it online! No need to talk to anyone that doesn't understand what your asking... You can verify exactly what you've put into your cart, and in my case, I received a better promotion than I did while on with a CSR. I got an hr-34, hr-24, and 2 h-25's for $199+tax. Ordered on thursday morning, installed on friday evening. Couldn't be happier (well, except it would be great to have the HD GUI)!

So does the Hr34 communicate with the hr24 allowing you to watch recorded shows from any television regardless of which recorded it originally? I currently have an order for one hr34 and two h25, but I'm thinking of changing one of the h25 to an hr24 so that I can pause and rewind live broadcasting in more than one room.

So does the Hr34 communicate with the hr24 allowing you to watch recorded shows from any television regardless of which recorded it originally? I currently have an order for one hr34 and two h25, but I'm thinking of changing one of the h25 to an hr24 so that I can pause and rewind live broadcasting in more than one room.
Yes, it does.

So just to be clear, before I go ahead and change my order, would I be losing any features with that set up (Hr34, Hr24, H25)? For example: I've read on the website "remote viewing requires H25 HD receiver(s)." I'm assuming that means at least one must be an H25, but one should never assume. Besides that example are there any other features I would lose? Anything at all?

PHP:
So just to be clear, before I go ahead and change my order, would I be losing any features with that set up (Hr34, Hr24, H25)? For example: I've read on the website "remote viewing requires H25 HD receiver(s)." I'm assuming that means at least one must be an H25, but one should never assume. Besides that example are there any other features I would lose? Anything at all?
Yes, the hr-24 can access recordings from the hr-34 and visa versa.

I got mine in yesterday, ordered it from Robert at Value Electronics. I was up and running in about 10 minutes, had no problem with the CSR activating it. It was really neat to be able to record 5 things at one time while I watched Boardwalk Empire on the DVR. I can't wait until they get the HD GUI out for the 34 Series. Maybe they will surprise us and have a CE with the HD GUI before Christmas. It is REALLY fast, at least to me, even faster than the HR24. It will be interesting to see it work with a client box or a Samsung TV. I have three Samsung HD sets, but only one of them, my main TV in the Living Room is RVU capable, so I don't really have the need for RVU yet. Maybe they will release the client box soon, and I can get one of them for a bedroom.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts