DirecTV in a motorhome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scorer1

Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
We recently changed from dish to directv and I have a question about the use of the receiver in the motorhome. I have connected everything and can automatically switch between 101 and 119. My question is this - if I travel to an area that is too far away for my locals, can I tune to the locals in the area I'm in? What I'm wondering is if I would have to contact directv to send me those locals or if it would be automatic if I was in that area? If so, are they willing to do that? We live in New England and go to Florida for the month of February and I'm wondering if I can tune in to Daytona locals while I'm there.

Does anyone have any information on this or done this?

Jeanne K.

We recently changed from dish to directv and I have a question about the use of the receiver in the motorhome. I have connected everything and can automatically switch between 101 and 119. My question is this - if I travel to an area that is too far away for my locals, can I tune to the locals in the area I'm in? What I'm wondering is if I would have to contact directv to send me those locals or if it would be automatic if I was in that area? If so, are they willing to do that? We live in New England and go to Florida for the month of February and I'm wondering if I can tune in to Daytona locals while I'm there.

Does anyone have any information on this or done this?

Jeanne K.

I thought you were suppossed to get the Distant Network Service for motorhomes, anyone know about this?

The OP will either need an OTA to pull the local Daytona affiliates or as you stated will need to qualify/register that as a mobile unit and attempt to obtain DNS service which will not include the Daytona affiliates.

How about calling Directv and telling them that you have moved to Daytona? If the receiver in your motorhome is the only receiver you have then this would be perfectly acceptable. Direct would then change your service address, and voila, Daytona locals become available.

How about calling Directv and telling them that you have moved to Daytona? If the receiver in your motorhome is the only receiver you have then this would be perfectly acceptable. Direct would then change your service address, and voila, Daytona locals become available.

Then a month later he's got to call back again and say "He moved back to his old house ?"
Not likely, they do keep records.
Seeing you go to Flordia and use your motor home, as do my parents, same type of thing , going to Texas.
You can set your dish up normally and have your programming, NO locals, unless you can use a OTA antenna.

My neighbor has a receiver in his MH and tell D* that he travels frequently, does a lot of Nascar races, they offered to give him his national channels (NY) , he said what happens when he goes west, NY won't do him any good... So they broke down and gave him Both Distance local channels.

You can ask D* if they will turn on the locals in the area you are traveling to, it can't hurt to ask.

Jimbo

Response to Jim

Thanks Jimbo - I'll try calling them and finding out. I had all the waivers for all of the networks already and then came the fallout at Dish Network.

Right now the OTA is not an option because we're not real sure where the antenna goes after it goes through the roof of the motorhome. Don't really want to start tearing out walls in a $250,000 motorhome if you know what I mean.

Nascar racing is exactly what we are doing!!

Jeanne K.

One other thing....

I don't understand how D-tv can get away with offering Distant Networks when Dish can't? Can anyone answer that question?

Jeanne K.

Thanks Jimbo - I'll try calling them and finding out. I had all the waivers for all of the networks already and then came the fallout at Dish Network.

Right now the OTA is not an option because we're not real sure where the antenna goes after it goes through the roof of the motorhome. Don't really want to start tearing out walls in a $250,000 motorhome if you know what I mean.

Jeanne K.

Why not ignore the old line and run a new one? No need to tear out walls to do that.

Jeanne K.

Yup,
I know exactly what your talking about :)

Jimbo

Then a month later he's got to call back again and say "He moved back to his old house ?"
Not likely, they do keep records.

Jimbo

What??? If he is actually moving there is nothing wrong, illegal or dishonest about this. He wouldn't be "moving" in the sense of so many others I have seen posting in order to get DNS illegally.

I agree though that I would be easier to fill out an RV DNS application.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

The OP said that he wanted to get Daytona locals, not necessarily the networks, but that has since been clarified.

What??? If he is actually moving there is nothing wrong, illegal or dishonest about this. He wouldn't be "moving" in the sense of so many others I have seen posting in order to get DNS illegally.

I agree though that I would be easier to fill out an RV DNS application.

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS_Vehicles_Aff.pdf

The OP said that he wanted to get Daytona locals, not necessarily the networks, but that has since been clarified.

The OP wants to get the Daytona locals while visiting for the month of Febuary, and then when he goes back home wants his original locals.

He can inquire to see if D* will allow him to change for a month, but then he will have to cal back and change them back when he's home again.

I would call D* and ask them what they can do for you.

Jimbo

If I were to fill that out and send it in and even though I am at a fixed residents would they be able to find out I'm lying? I'd love to have the west coast feeds of ABC, NBC, FOX, and NBC.

If I were to fill that out and send it in and even though I am at a fixed residents would they be able to find out I'm lying? I'd love to have the west coast feeds of ABC, NBC, FOX, and NBC.

If you have a legite account, D* knows where you live and allow you the appropriate locals.
If you do have a motor home, you can try and see what they have to say ...
They may want to see a registration. (seriously)

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.