Directv in Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjsat

Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Canada
I'm thinking about trying to get an account for Directv in Canada. I do understand it is illegal. I just had a few question. (1) Does anyone know if an individual has been prosecuted in Canada for this (not a broker)? I am looking to set it up for myself and myself only with no account sharing etc. (2) If so, what are the penalties?? (3) If Directv discovers that you are Canadian do they have an obligation to report you to Canadian authorities?? (besides shutting you down) Thanks!!

Obviously you missed the Terms of Service Agreement you "signed" when you registered. Discussions of illegal practices are not allowed on this forum.

You should use Google for your inquiry. Apparently, there are some who get away with this in Canada, but DirecTV does not condone it. And, it is not really DirecTV who makes the rules on this, it is all the regulatory agencies they have to deal with. The broadcasters in Canada don't want you watching US based programming there unless you access it via their carriers. So, this is not really a DirecTV issue as much as a regulatory issue. But, it is outside the purview of this forum.

:welcome to Satelliteguys pjsat!

I haven't heard specifically of anyone being prosecuted, but I supposed it may have happened. You would have to check Canadian laws to see what the penalties would be. Technically I would think Directv would be obligated to report you, but again, I have never heard of this happening.

Obviously you missed the Terms of Service Agreement you "signed" when you registered. Discussions of illegal practices are not allowed on this forum. You should use Google for your inquiry. Apparently, there are some who get away with this in Canada, but DirecTV does not condone it. And, it is not really DirecTV who makes the rules on this, it is all the regulatory agencies they have to deal with. The broadcasters in Canada don't want you watching US based programming there unless you access it via their carriers. So, this is not really a DirecTV issue as much as a regulatory issue. But, it is outside the purview of this forum.
Since this forum is based in the USA, your implication of this being"illegal" is a moot point. It is illegal to subscribe to Directv in Canada, but obviously NOT in the USA. It is unfair to equate this practice to piracy.

I'm thinking about trying to get an account for Directv in Canada. I do understand it is illegal. I just had a few question. (1) Does anyone know if an individual has been prosecuted in Canada for this (not a broker)? I am looking to set it up for myself and myself only with no account sharing etc. (2) If so, what are the penalties?? (3) If Directv discovers that you are Canadian do they have an obligation to report you to Canadian authorities?? (besides shutting you down) Thanks!!

Directv would do nothing but cancel/suspend your account. I don't know what the implications would be from the Provincial or Federal authorities in Canada, probably not much more than a slap on the wrist.

Last I heard, DirecTV can sue for large sums of money and they can also prosecute on the communications side through the Canadian authorities... And there's a very good chance that if they do catch you, they might do both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)