Soon to set up system on new home, how to connect Genier and mini-Genies

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi, I have an older setup with a 5LNB dish, four signals down from the dish, a 4x8 passive multiswitch (Zinwell WB68), of which I send six of those outputs to three HR20 HD-DVR's (2 SAT signals into each of the 3 HD-DVR's). That system I understand. Now, we've bought a new house and I want to be knowledgeable when I set up Directv in this new house. First of all, in a new, Genie based system, what now comes down from the Antenna, one cable only?? And if that's the case, that one cable goes in to the Genie box (HR34 or HR44, is that right??), is that correct??? And then how would you hook up say 3 mini-Genies in three other rooms?? Is there a cable out of the Genie and you then split that 3 ways??? Special splitter or just a regular 75 ohm power splitter??? I've been looking for a simple diagram and I'm sure they're around but I haven't found one yet this morning so I thought I would ask here???

Can someone tell me what such a setup would look like starting at the Dish???

thanks.. bob..

First, you need to consider whether you really want to get rid of all your DVRs and replace them with Genie clients. I think you will find that is a backward step - remember that with the whole home system the HR20s and the Genie will share all recordings so using Clients will not really gain you anything (except reducing the size of your boxes). If it were me I would keep the HR20s and add a Genie - that gives you 11 tuners. If you do that, the installer will install a regular non-SWM dish and four cables to the house, then install an SWM16 multiswitch (needed for more than 8 tuners) with a power inserter , then an SWM splitter (he'll probably use an 8-way although a 4-way would be enough) and use a single cable from the splitter to the genie and to each DVR.
One other thing. When the installer comes, you might be able to persuade him ( a large tip might be in order) to replace one or more of your HR20s with HR24s. You CANNOT arrange this in advance!!
If you have kids, you will find it more than useful to give them (each) a DVR so they can do their own recordings without messing up your playlist. Additionally, with a Genie and three clients, if the Genie fails you will lose ALL DirecTv in the house, because the clients won't operate without the Genie.

First, you need to consider whether you really want to get rid of all your DVRs and replace them with Genie clients. I think you will find that is a backward step - remember that with the whole home system the HR20s and the Genie will share all recordings so using Clients will not really gain you anything (except reducing the size of your boxes). If it were me I would keep the HR20s and add a Genie - that gives you 11 tuners. If you do that, the installer will install a regular non-SWM dish and four cables to the house, then install an SWM16 multiswitch (needed for more than 8 tuners) with a power inserter , then an SWM splitter (he'll probably use an 8-way although a 4-way would be enough) and use a single cable from the splitter to the genie and to each DVR.
One other thing. When the installer comes, you might be able to persuade him ( a large tip might be in order) to replace one or more of your HR20s with HR24s. You CANNOT arrange this in advance!!
If you have kids, you will find it more than useful to give them (each) a DVR so they can do their own recordings without messing up your playlist. Additionally, with a Genie and three clients, if the Genie fails you will lose ALL DirecTv in the house, because the clients won't operate without the Genie.

Well put :)

4 lines from the dish to a central point and 1 line to each tv

Technically only need 1 line from the Dish, but with lines you can easily add other receivers.

In the system I have described, where the OP keeps his DVRs and adds a Genie, there are 11 tuners so it's four lines from the dish to an SWM16

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)