DirecTV in Mexico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ordorika

Original poster
May 13, 2005
I wonder if it is possible to take a US DirectV contract and dish and use it in Mexico. I am interested in getting US local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) as well as traditional "cable" channels like ESPN, TNT, HBO, etc.
Is it necessary to take the dish? I have a dish from former DirectV Mexico (it just stopped operating there) can I just use de US card. How do I orient the dish, etc? Any information about this will be appreciated.

I know of some retired people from the U.S. who take their D* systems down to Mexico with them. They stay at trailer parks in Baja California and have no problem getting a signal.

I would assume since they are using "RV" accounts, that they get the national network feeds. Now is this legit or not?? I'm not the one to ask.

Now if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Mexico, I'm sure having an active D* account would be against the rules.....

Yes, you can have DirecTV in Mexico. I do NOT consider it signal theft. I pay my Bill accordingly allthough it goes to my fathers house in the US. I recieve all local channels just like the local cable company does. I have been doing this for eight years. Even the Caliente sports books use DirecTV. FOX-6 is in Tijuana and DirecTV picks it up so why can't I pick up my own local station?

Until TELNOR introduces digital-TV with HD content, I will stick to Direc. Never have used the phone-line, I just go online with TELNOR Prodigy Infinitum Internet DSL and order my movies!

L.T.

Trainop said:
Yes, you can have DirecTV in Mexico. I do NOT consider it signal theft. I pay my Bill accordingly allthough it goes to my fathers house in the US. I recieve all local channels just like the local cable company does. I have been doing this for eight years. Even the Caliente sports books use DirecTV. FOX-6 is in Tijuana and DirecTV picks it up so why can't I pick up my own local station?

Until TELNOR introduces digital-TV with HD content, I will stick to Direc. Never have used the phone-line, I just go online with TELNOR Prodigy Infinitum Internet DSL and order my movies!

L.T.
oh round here thats called account-sharing its a no-no

stone phillips420 said:
oh round here thats called account-sharing its a no-no

No he's not sharing the account, he just has the bill sent to his father's house. Now if his father had the account and he was a reciever on that, THAT would be account sharing.

ordorika said:
I wonder if it is possible to take a US DirectV contract and dish and use it in Mexico. I am interested in getting US local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) as well as traditional "cable" channels like ESPN, TNT, HBO, etc.
Is it necessary to take the dish? I have a dish from former DirectV Mexico (it just stopped operating there) can I just use de US card. How do I orient the dish, etc? Any information about this will be appreciated.
It is a technical violation to use Directv in either Mexico or Canada, yes it is done. You will need a Directv dish to receive the signal. I don't believe the Directv Mexico dish has the right LNBF to work for reception of the U.S. signal. The further south you go into Mexico the larger dish you will need. Directv's signal is aimed for the continental U.S. so the farther you go from the center of the U.S. the weaker the signal becomes. :)

Darkwing Duck said:
No he's not sharing the account, he just has the bill sent to his father's house. Now if his father had the account and he was a reciever on that, THAT would be account sharing.
its a reasonable assumption that if bill being sent to fathers house his father also has his own receiver thats account sharing

stone phillips420 said:
its a reasonable assumption that if bill being sent to fathers house his father also has his own receiver thats account sharing

Yet in his post he clearly states that he pays his bill and says nowhere that his father has a reciever.

I pay my BILL completely seperately. I have an old receiver that is mirrored down stairs, plus the HD E86 upstairs. He recieves his own BILL. Mirroring by sharing the bill at different addresses is theft in my opinion. I make enough money to pay for my access on my own.

DirecTV has never ever questioned why we have two individual bills at the same address. Nor why he is connected to a phone line and I am not.

Para-todos does not exist in Mexico. They have a good variety of most channels that the US subscribers do except HD is non-existant. Otherwise I would enjoy their service abroad. :)

stone phillips420 said:
i realize that, sometimes you can read between the lines. directv is available there i think it called para-todos.

Para Todos is a DirecTV-US offering to the latin american market here. It is NOT offered in Mexico; indeed DirecTV Mexico shut down. Sky Mexico is the only Mexican DBS provider at the moment.

What he's doing is no different than me having a canadian Starchoice receiver in the states or me using my billing address for a friend in Mexico City who has DirecTV (no I DO NOT use D*, I'm an E* customer). No 'reading between the lines' is necessary.

@Ordorika : You can get DirecTV in Mexico, however none of the GLA equipment will work at all. The LNB on the GLA dish is not compatible with US DirecTV... GLA was on a Galaxy satellite which uses a different polarization method than DirecTV US. You'll need a new receiver, and a new dish. You can use your father's address for billing, however I would find a 'white area' that will allow for Distant Network Service so that you can qualify for the NY and LA networks.

How you orient the dish, what size dish you need and what you can receive depends on where you are in Mexico. You will be able to receive programming, the variables are how large a dish you will need and how many if more than one satellite is desired and the standard DTV multidish won't work.

if you live in mexico and your dtv service address is in the us, thats theft of service plain and simple dont believe me call 18005315000 and ask them yourself they will agree with me

stone phillips420 said:
if you live in mexico and your dtv service address is in the us, thats theft of service plain and simple dont believe me call 18005315000 and ask them yourself they will agree with me

Asking them doesn't mean jack.

What do you believe in? their words or their actions?

Do you think Directv doesn't know that their service have been used outside of the border? If nothing else, did they prohibit RVs from getting into Mexico or Canada?

What do they do to prevent it?

Do they enforce the phone-line plug-in requirement? no
Do they take credit cards from non-U.S. institute? yes
Do they have any measure similar to Echostar's "location ID" to make sure that you and your receiver are at the same place? no

So, their non-action to absolutely prevent their signals to be viewed in Mexico or Canada tells me a lot more than a simple answer from

I mean, as long as they are not knowingly selling their service to Mexico or Canada, do you think they'll refuse revenue?

If you look in any RV park about 90 % of the RV have a Sat. dish on them or on the stand by them.
look at at all the long haul trucks that have a sat. dish on the sleeper
why do you think they made it so easy to line up and lock on to a sat.
a lot of the RV parks are not putting cable in there new sites ,cause most of the rvers have satellites
and most of the cable in rv parks is very poor
And Most of the RVers have one receiver they take it out of there house and put it in there RV, when they come back home they take it out of the RV & put it in there house, Why pay $5.00 a month for a 2nd. receiver at home when you are not there to use it for 6 or 7 months
that is why we have Dish or Direct and not cable as it is hard to drag cable behind you,
also I Think they have plans for people who only have a mobil address.
bob

rangers00 said:
Do they have any measure similar to Echostar's "location ID" to make sure that you and your receiver are at the same place? no
they do have signal integrity dept. there number is 310-964-1073
so they may not have charlies "location id"
but its darn similar
and its there to prevent things like the situation mentioned above

stone phillips420 said:
they do have signal integrity dept. there number is 310-964-1073
so they may not have charlies "location id"
but its darn similar
and its there to prevent things like the situation mentioned above

Not at all.

Which receiver feature is there to verify the location of the receiver as well as the subscriber talking on the phone?

No? then how does the signal integrity dept. verify the location? throwing dice? or do SI people waiting at the phone (310 964 1073), expecting phone calls from gray market subs to tell them "I have a sub address in the U.S. but I am watching your programs in mexico right now"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)