Directv in RV

Jakes29

Original poster
Apr 8, 2019
Oklahoma
greetings! New poster to the forum. Hoping for some help. Just back from a camping trip over the weekend where I spent 3 hours trying to locate directv satellite signal with no luck. I am hoping to get a couple questions answered to help me with this as I’d like to learn to do it myself. I have successfully found satelite 101 in the past but had low signal on 103 and was unable to watch HD sports.

Here is my setup:
Directv genie 2 (HS17) brought from home with brand new rg6 ran directly to receiver to avoid splitters etc
Directv dish (not sure what size but it’s big, fairly certain it’s the correct dish as it’s the same as I have at home) on tripod with reverse band LNB
Plumb and level mast
Clear line of site to southern sky

I use a cheap analog squelcher meter to help dial in the signal but I’m not sure it works right. All I get is a constant reading of 10 no matter if I adjust the knob all the way down or up. Is that normal? I’m aware these meters don’t specify which satelite.

Is it possible to calibrate the elevation reading on the adjustment screw? This dish was a freebie and the fine adjustment knobs broke off. Perhaps the elevation angle I had set was inaccurate?? Just guessing.

I’m thinking of replacing the back adjustment unit and also purchasing a used bird dog meter.

Any tips are greatly needed! Hoping to be able to watch HD while camping.

I've aligned dozens of slimline dishes without a meter just using the "dithering" technique on 101. There are videos on youtube.
I would have thought for the price of a new dish off ebay it's not worth screwing around. You can use the LNB you already have.

thanks for the reply txbrit. So following your method, line up my elevation and azimuth based on zip code, then dither and I should be good without a meter. I am unable to dither correctly because I don’t have the fine tuning knobs. I’m going to order a replacement back unit for $15, cheaper than a new dish. Thanks for the info. Probably just need more practice

Hey Tex, does the HS17 have a PI built into it ?
If not, I didn't hear that mentioned in his set up ...
I know the HR54's do and the HR44's do NOT.

An HS17 requires a swm setup, so yes a power inserter is required. The HS17 has one built into it.

Reactions: Jimbo
I wouldn’t even attempt an HS 17 in an RV or temporary setup and I’m a dealer!

Too many issues with setting up the HS17 and the client box or boxes to work.

Not saying it can’t be done, but if I was in your position I would get a 101 Dish with either a HR24 using a single tuner or H24.

I know it’s SD, but it’s only Tv also

I wouldn’t even attempt an HS 17 in an RV or temporary setup and I’m a dealer!

Too many issues with setting up the HS17 and the client box or boxes to work.

Not saying it can’t be done, but if I was in your position I would get a 101 Dish with either a HR24 using a single tuner or H24.

I know it’s SD, but it’s only Tv also
Or set up a Slimline dish and still watch HD, with an HR24.
I can't imagine taking a HS17 in and out everytime I camp or tailgate.

Thanks for the input on the receiver but that isn’t really my issue. It’s really not hard to unplug the HS17 and then plug it back in to the camper with the extra plug I keep in the camper. And same thing with the wireless minis. They actually work great because I take one to my mother in law who camps next to us. My issue is simply a lack of experience in landing a signal.

You are not going to like this, BUT if you are going to continue RVing and want Directv service with an HS17 you REALLY need an AIM meter and lots of practice.
You must make certain the Dish/LNB is working by setting it up at home with identical settings from home dish/LNB.
Then setting up remotely will be much easier but with HS17 and clients you are completely "blind" until some signal is obtained.
Thus a good meter is a must to get initial aim correct then fine tune for HD 99 and 103

Good luck

Doctor j

Being client-server really compl;icates it. You are correct about the HS17, I missed that one. No problems with dish setup with the other receivers.

Or set up a Slimline dish and still watch HD, with an HR24.
I can't imagine taking a HS17 in and out everytime I camp or tailgate.
You can't do this. With an HS17, regular receivers can't be on the same account. So since the OP has an HS17 setup at home, taking the HS17 with him is the only way (other than having a second account)

You are not going to like this, BUT if you are going to continue RVing and want Directv service with an HS17 you REALLY need an AIM meter and lots of practice.
You must make certain the Dish/LNB is working by setting it up at home with identical settings from home dish/LNB.
Then setting up remotely will be much easier but with HS17 and clients you are completely "blind" until some signal is obtained.
Thus a good meter is a must to get initial aim correct then fine tune for HD 99 and 103

Good luck

Doctor j
Thank you for the reply. Not really ready to shell out that much for the AIM. I know the dish and lnb work as I was able to tune in 101 a couple weeks ago. Just looking to not waste so much time. Like u said just need more practice.

Is there something with the HS17 that would prevent the cheap analog meters from working correctly? Seems I get a reading of 10 after connecting no matter where I’m pointed.

Good luck

Doctor j

You don’t think the receiver meters are enough?

Why should it be any harder to 'aim' the dish with an HS17 versus a regular DVR/receiver? Either way you are using the receiver meters.

The real problem is the SWM LNB doesn't work with cheap $10 'signal finder' type meters that require a legacy LNB to find 101 and get you started, so you have no choice but to use the receiver meter for everything. You could handle that by using a legacy LNB and SWM switch - you could lash it and the PI to the dish so it is all one unit in the RV. Or aim using a legacy LNB then swap in a SWM LNB and use the receiver meter for fine tuning.

Buying an AIM just to aim the dish in your RV seems like a lot of money unless saving a few minutes is worth it to you (which it might be if you take your RV out every weekend, but probably not so much for a half dozen times a year)

Reactions: Jimbo
Why should it be any harder to 'aim' the dish with an HS17 versus a regular DVR/receiver? Either way you are using the receiver meters.

The real problem is the SWM LNB doesn't work with cheap $10 'signal finder' type meters that require a legacy LNB to find 101 and get you started, so you have no choice but to use the receiver meter for everything. You could handle that by using a legacy LNB and SWM switch - you could lash it and the PI to the dish so it is all one unit in the RV. Or aim using a legacy LNB then swap in a SWM LNB and use the receiver meter for fine tuning.

Buying an AIM just to aim the dish in your RV seems like a lot of money unless saving a few minutes is worth it to you (which it might be if you take your RV out every weekend, but probably not so much for a half dozen times a year)

Thank you for the reply. I agree, I’m not going to spend several hundred dollars on an AIM for something I do once a month, 8 months of the year. I am going to look further into this legacy LNB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts