DirecTV installed HR20 instead of HR24 for new customer install!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PCSGuyMD

Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
USA
I just talked my folks who are located out of state into upgrading from Comcast to DirecTV. It was installed yesterday (August 11, 2010), but I just found out they installed an HR20-700 instead of a current HR24! And this was for a NEW customer install! Even if it was an HR23 that would be one thing, but an HR20-700?!?

My folks had no clue about this, but they obviously got ripped off! DirecTV clearly displays an HR24 on their web page, and advertises 400 hours of SD recording time, 100 HD recording time. Instead they get this piece of junk from 2006 that has half the recording time!

Is this normal for DirecTV to pull on new customers? Do they have any recourse? Can they cancel within the first 24 hours?

Frustrated and upset with DirecTV!

I just talked my folks who are located out of state into upgrading from Comcast to DirecTV. It was installed yesterday (August 11, 2010), but I just found out they installed an HR20-700 instead of a current HR24! And this was for a NEW customer install! Even if it was an HR23 that would be one thing, but an HR20-700?!?

My folks had no clue about this, but they obviously got ripped off! DirecTV clearly displays an HR24 on their web page, and advertises 400 hours of SD recording time, 100 HD recording time. Instead they get this piece of junk from 2006 that has half the recording time!

Is this normal for DirecTV to pull on new customers? Do they have any recourse? Can they cancel within the first 24 hours?

I can understand you frustration about not getting the HR24, but ...
IF I could not get a HR24, I would WANT a HR20-700 next.
Do they do OTA for locals ?
HR20-700 has an ota tuner in it, the HR23 does not.

D* does not guarantee a particular model EVER, they ordered a HD DVR and they got a HD DVR ... Fwiw, the HR20-700 is much better than the HR23 you mentioned.
Slight difference in HD, 320 vs 500, if they are heavy DVR people this might come into play, otherwise not.

I still use 2 HR20-700's, very reliable.

Hr20s are the second fastest units in the entire line. I'm still running three of them and they're great. I also have a much slower 23 and a couple of 21s.

If I could not get the 24, the 20 would be what I would want. I do understand your frustration though.

Just be thankful that it was NOT the 23. My 20 is worlds better than my 23.

I am getting my system installed on Tuesday. If I don't get a HR24 can I refuse the install and wait until they get one in stock?

I can understand you frustration about not getting the HR24, but ...
IF I could not get a HR24, I would WANT a HR20-700 next.
Do they do OTA for locals ?
HR20-700 has an ota tuner in it, the HR23 does not.

D* does not guarantee a particular model EVER, they ordered a HD DVR and they got a HD DVR ... Fwiw, the HR20-700 is much better than the HR23 you mentioned.
Slight difference in HD, 320 vs 500, if they are heavy DVR people this might come into play, otherwise not.

I still use 2 HR20-700's, very reliable.

Also, 1 of my HR20-700's are a refurb., never had a problem with it at all.

Piece of junk?! Not so.

Where does it say you will get a new unit at install - and that it will be a xx24?

It doesn't. But like most already said, and I'll echo, the HR20s and good. They have the benefit of having a built-in OTA tuner. Throw up an OTA antenna and get all/any subfeeds you or your folks stations offer. My CW, MyTV, ThisTV, weather radar, all come in via OTA. D* does not offer them currently. I also can get a local Daystar affiliate as well as a local BeachTV station - not on D* but available via OTA.

If it's storage your worried about, just add a SATA harddrive enclosure for tons of space. Now that D* has gone to mpeg4 compression, I can have TONS of recordings.

I would not be upset. The HR20 is the second best DVR Direct has. It is second only to the HR24. If I got the HR21, 22, or 23, then I would be upset.

Trust me, the HR20 IS better than the HR23

There's nothing that says new customers get new HR24s, or new anything. New customers get leased HD DVRs, it may be a new or refurbished.

I can understand your frustration, well, not really.
What do your parents think ?
I'm guessing they don't give a rip as long as it works.

The only thing I would be upset about is the recording space is less then the Hr22-24 models.

But yea I'll take the HR 20 if you don't want it.:D

HR20's are 320 hd
The 22-24's are 500, the 21 is 320 and the 22 might be 320 as well, I don't remember when they changed it exactly.

HR20's are 320 hd
The 22-24's are 500, the 21 is 320 and the 22 might be 320 as well, I don't remember when they changed it exactly.
HR22,23,24 ,and HR 21 Pro are 500GB 100 Hour HD 400 Hour SD
HR20-21 they Used to be rated 30 HD and 200 SD.

Now with more Mpeg 4 HD that number is most likly Higher now.
But I doubt its much past 50 HD hours

HR22,23,24 ,and HR 21 Pro are 500GB 100 Hour HD 400 Hour SD
HR20-21 they Used to be rated 30 HD and 200 SD.

Now with more Mpeg 4 HD that number is most likly Higher now.
But I doubt its much past 50 HD hours

Well, based purely upon hard drive size and the estimate given for the 500GB drive, you get about 0.2 hours per Gigabyte, so the 320GB drives should get ~64 hours with MPEG4 HD if a number is to be placed on it. This isn't entirely accurate due to the software and VOD stuff stored on the drives, but it is good enough... I have two HR24s, but I almost wish my second DVR was an HR20 just so I wouldn't need a second AM21 tuner. Still, I won the receiver lottery at install time by getting the best DirecTV has so I won't complain.

I noticed the OP has yet to come back. I wonder if he realized that the HR20 is not all that bad?

hey about a month ago I had D* install service in a guest bedroom. I got a kick out of the brand new receiver he pulled out of the box, and H20. Was hoping for the H24 but didn't mind at all....it atleast matches all my other recievers :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)