Directv issues?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So the comment about not phoning in is baloney. I have 2 lines and after being on hold 1:50 on line 1, I decided to call the following number - 800.600.8977 - which was mentioned on another thread as being the customer retention line. Lo and behold, it was answered in 5 minutes, they activated my HR10-250 right there and then, and gave me 2 free months of Showtime for my trouble. An oversight was that they didn't add the HD package so I called back; 5 mins to answer and hey presto, I have HD!

A sucess story I guess, but would it have happened if I hadn't persevered? I VERY much doubt it.

DTV deserve to be hounded - I'm a great believer in the statement, 'the squeakiest wheel gets oiled first'.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Customers did not lose service due to this issue...The biggest issue that has been encountered is customers wanting to activate a new receiver, additional one or replacement, and we were unable to do so for the time being.

Uhm, yes customers did. At least, THIS customer did.

All four of my receivers (3SD, 1HD) went down on Thursday. Two of the SDs came back today. The other SD and the HD are still out. When I try to call, I can't get through. I might try one of the other numbers mentioned in this thread.

At any rate, I understand you want to stick up for D*. But you should make sure you have your facts straight when you do so.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Customers did not lose service due to this issue. We were just unable to activate new accounts, change programming packages, order ppv over the phone, or fix a few common things that occur with any satellite service.

THe system problem is an internal thing with the commands we are able to send to our camc. The link was down, so we couldn't send it commands. It did not cause everyone to lose thier service.

When I had Dishnetwork a few years back, I lost my signal almost daily. With Directv I have never lost my signal, even in freezing rain.

Im not saying you dont have good service. Just that what works for one may not necessarily work for everyone. This "outage" was in our main computers, not in people's service. The ones who were experiencing problems are typical problems as I said you will encounter with any service provider. THey are usually simple to fix. The system was unable to perform those commands though. It isnt as if everyone in the country suddenly lost service.

The biggest issue that has been encountered is customers wanting to activate a new receiver, additional one or replacement, and we were unable to do so for the time being.

Then explain to me why my HD receiver had a 721 error on it this morning and I was told that it's access card number became invalid? I had to swap it out with my sis-in-law's Hughes DVR access card to get it to work again.

Don't get me wrong, I love Directv, but this system outtage really upset me as it did a lot of other people.

The R10 is going to have to have a new access card so Directv is sending me one. They said that because it got messed up when they tried to activate it Thursday right as their system went down it messed up the card number.

Gimme a Break

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Generally we don't have outages like this, don't let it fool you... our systems are for the most part very stable. This was completely unexpected, and is driving everyone crazy, both customers and employees alike. They have been doing these system merges over the last month, and everything has been fine except for a few hiccups causing slowing of the system occasionally very late at night. During the final steps, the system crashed. This is something that just happens with technology sometimes.

I haven't even tried to activate my system yet, and I am already having second thoughts. Your post just makes me angry. The "This is something that just happens..." statement is utterly ridiculous.

I'm an IT manager in a law firm with 1,500 employees, and we never do any upgrades or system changes without putting a contingency plan in place. This includes having duplicate hardware on standby, if necessary.

You have over 10 MILLION paying subscribers, and you don't have a contingency plan in place to bring your system back on-line in less that THREE FREAKING DAYS?!?!? Shame on D*

If the installer had come out to my house, removed my E* dish, replaced my E* receivers, and couldn't get me up and running for 3 days I would be livid. In fact, my first reaction would have been to have him take the D* dish off of my house, and put it in a place where the signal couldn't find it.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well... Best way for them to check if you're working...

Tell them to use *REMOVED* and to check your access card on that rcvr with the CAMC. (Tell them to go to DSS Actions... I think it's the 4th option down.)

If both fields in that are blank... Your access card is affected... And as far as I know you have to wait until the system is 100%... Last I knew they're not replacing access cards as of yet... Fine, I've seen that some people are getting them... But I don't think it's SOP right now...

~
*REMOVED* = Program they use to resend your authorizations.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Customers did not lose service due to this issue. We were just unable to activate new accounts, change programming packages, order ppv over the phone, or fix a few common things that occur with any satellite service.

This customer lost service also. I lost service at 11pm ET on Thurs and still dont have it back. Its amazing that you dont even know what group of customers are affected.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Generally we don't have outages like this, don't let it fool you... our systems are for the most part very stable. This was completely unexpected, and is driving everyone crazy, both customers and employees alike. They have been doing these system merges over the last month, and everything has been fine except for a few hiccups causing slowing of the system occasionally very late at night. During the final steps, the system crashed. This is something that just happens with technology sometimes. WHen dealing with electronics, computers, and software, you can't expect everything to always be perfect.

To reaffirm what rdlink said this is a completely unbelievable quote. Ive been an IT professional for over 20 years. I would not accept this type of attitude from my employees and my management would definitely not accept this from me. 10 minute outages happen that you dont like but must deal with. Multiple day outages relating to a bad account conversion should never happen. How come you didnt have a contingency plan or was the contingency plan just to let your customers suffer.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Please don't let this system fluke be the base of your opinion of DirecTV. Its a one time freak occurence, and as I said our systems are usually very stable.

How can this not affect my opinion of D*. Before my problem is fixed I'll be down for a week. If I couldn't get money out of my bank and had no debit or credit card access for a week due to their system problem it would impact the way I feel about them. I'm not saying this is going to make this 10 year customer leave but on top of all the problems I've had with the Samsung t360, its definitely going to make me start looking.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Everything came back up again last night, and many of us stayed after hours getting things processed manually. I was there till 4am last night, and I am going in today on my day off to process downtime forms all day, and will stay as late as they keep the building open again. We are doing everything we can to get things back in order.

I'm sorry you had to work long hours and go in on your day off but speaking from experience this might have drawn some sympathy from people in the 80s but not anymore. People expect 100% or very near 100% availability with services they pay for. Anything less than that is unacceptable and they dont care what you need to do to fix things.

I've been an outspoken fan of Directv on Satelliteguys and this system outtage has really pissed me off. Here I have a brand new R10 receiver that I've had since Thursday morning and I can't get it activated. My HD receiver gets "call CS at ext 721" error this morning. That involves me swapping access cards with my other DVR, the Hughes HDVR40. Then tonight trying to get that one turned on I nearly didn't get that one back up because of the same problem.

I really would like my R10 activated!!

I too am in IT, and something like this would have heads rolling. Our company is much smaller than Directv and we have several backup systems in place for something like this. Things like this don't just happen. If a strong backup was in place we wouldn't be having this discussion. Didn't Directv test their new software first before trying to impliment it????

Anyway, back to my day. Took my football party to a friend's house. Had D* but no HD. The group of people was a bunch of old programmers who were very amused when I blamed the situation on a D* system problem. They think the system problem is my wife not wanting all of them in the house. Pretty good games.

I called again tonite. Got a Tech Rep. He said he cant fix my problem. He needs to 'overnight' me a new access card. I might get this on Tuesday or Wednesday. New meaning to the word 'overnight'. I'm out of the water until then.

*Sigh*

You have missed the point.

That was not a sympathy plea, and well, Im not even going to bother to try and explain anything else. Its pointless.

So sorry for trying to clear the air on what was going on. I won't let it happen again.

Yeah. Systems back up now. Forms are almost all processed. If a form was filled out for a 711, look for an access card around Tuesday.

Have a great day, and if youre still angry, call and get credit.

Kind of thought most people that I've run into (aside from the NFL Sunday Ticket fanatics) were a bit more reasonable on the various forums, this thread proved to me otherwise and will discourage many D* employees from assisting in the fututre.

What??

Elstevo said:
Kind of thought most people that I've run into (aside from the NFL Sunday Ticket fanatics) were a bit more reasonable on the various forums, this thread proved to me otherwise and will discourage many D* employees from assisting in the fututre.

No "NFL Sunday Ticket Fanatic" here. In fact, if I do in fact decide to activate the three DVRs I bought yesterday and become a D* customer I will more than likely never subscribe to Sunday Ticket.

The only people being unreasonable on this thread are D* apologists. You don't run a company with tens of millions of customers this way.

I don't know if you're rich, or what, but to me $100 a month is a lot of money to pay for a product that's not there for over 10% of the month. If the phone company shut down a large percentage of its customer base for over 3 days because a system-wide upgrade went bad, and they hadn't planned accordingly, you probably wouldn't be so forgiving.

My decision to spend this much money on what is clearly a luxury is based on a quality of life decision. And that's what D* is selling. I work long, hard hours (12 hours a day, on average, and yes, some nights and weekends). If I spend my hard-earned time off and money staring at Tanya Memme for hours on end (as pleasing a sight as that is) because of D*'s screw up I have every right to be upset.

If I choose to go with DirecTV I will pay more money for the same service than I am currently paying with DISH. DISH has always been very customer-service friendly to me. My main reason for wanting to leave DISH is because of the "Heath Kit" behavior of my receivers of late.

The reason I am considering the move is because of the fact that D* has been held out as a more stable alternative to E*, both on the hardware and system side of things. Given the events of the last four days, any "reasonable" person would say that D* has not shown to enjoy a stability advantage.

The boxes are in my house already, the installation order has been placed. I plan on giving D* a chance. But they're walking up to the plate with two strikes against them, so they better protect the strike zone and swing for contact.

This outage was not caused by little gremlins in the system. This outage was caused by conflicts of code and hardware that could have, and should have been detected before throwing the switch. I may be missing something, but aren't the D* employees the ones that designed this system?

As far as D* employees assisting in the future, they better understand that they screwed up royally, and the company's poor decision making has resulted in a heavier burden for them all. Theirs is not to whine about things. Theirs is to suck it up and rebuild credibility. If they can't stand the heat of working for the largest satellite provider in the world they need to go to work for a nice little non-profit, where working nights and weekends never happens, and 4 day outages are acceptable. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I for one did not have any of these problems and feel bad for the ones who did. But I would thank ( and I know it doesn't make up for what you missed or had plan ) that D would give the people that had problems some kind of Credit or movie channels or something for there problem , they have always taken care of me if and when I had had any kind of problems . Try calling this number it goes right to the Retention department 1-800-600-8977

DirecTVTechCSR said:
*Sigh*

You have missed the point.

That was not a sympathy plea, and well, Im not even going to bother to try and explain anything else. Its pointless.

So sorry for trying to clear the air on what was going on. I won't let it happen again.

Yeah. Systems back up now. Forms are almost all processed. If a form was filled out for a 711, look for an access card around Tuesday.

Have a great day, and if youre still angry, call and get credit.

You didnt clear anything up. You didnt even know who was affected by the problem. You were just defending your company. Bottom line----A 5 day outage to an existing paying customer is unreasonable. I'm sorry you feel otherwise.

Elstevo said:

So, I'm not being reasonable. I'm paying for a service and not receiving it because of problems created by D* employees/contractors. This problem should never have happenned. It was completely avoidable. I guess I should be happy that I may be back up by Tuesday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)