Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Want to see a movie thats still playing in Theaters? DIRECTV Premiere launches on Thursday and it lets you watch movies which are still playing in Theaters for $30 a pop.

DIRECTV What are Home Premiere movies?

What are Home Premiere movies?

sm__HomePremiere.jpg
  • Home Premiere movies are new movie releases available exclusively on DIRECTV CINEMA™ months before they’re available on Netflix®, and even before they’re available on DVD or Blu-ray™.
  • A Home Premiere movie costs $29.99. With Home Premiere movies, you have the convenience of being able to enjoy the latest releases in the comfort of your living room. You also have the freedom to watch them as many times as you would like within a 48-hour rental period. Hence, they cost more than a typical DIRECTV CINEMA™ movie.
  • All Home Premiere movies are in 1080p HD.
  • To view Home Premiere movies, you must have an HD DVR receiver, and your HDTV must be connected to the receiver with an HDMI cable.
  • To order a Home Premiere title, go to Channel 1100 on your TV and select the Home Premiere category to see a list of available titles.
    • If the title you want to watch has a green check mark next to it, it’s ready to watch instantly. Just select it to start watching.
    • If it does not have a green check mark, you can add it to your queue and it will be ready to watch as soon as it is available. You will not be charged until you begin watching.

It sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if anyone is willing to pay $30 a pop when you can wait another 30-60 days and see it for the regular VOD price.

Go to the movies and spend at least $30.00 for movies/concessions and have to deal with the crowds....this is a good alternative if you really want to see it and don't want to wait.

I dont think its that bad of a deal.

When I take my family of 4 out to the movies it is around $80 if not more...

Plus I know what my home theater can do, its always a crap shoot when I go to the movies... no ringing cell phones, no people talking, no people yelling SHHHHHH, no crying screaming kids, no one kicking the back of your seat, and no sticky floors.

$30 isnt a bad deal at all. I am intereted in seeing their initial list of movies. :)

Go to the movies and spend at least $30.00 for movies/concessions and have to deal with the crowds....this is a good alternative if you really want to see it and don't want to wait.

Thats who it is geared for.
If I really want to see a movie and not wait, I may very well give this a shot. Obviously not something I would use all that often, but then I dont go to the movies all that often.

This service is the same service that is already offered in hotels but the hotels only charge around $12.00-$15.00 for it.
Most hotel rooms don't offer an HD experience with home theater sound. It's a completely different experience and expectation. Must also wait to see the content before assuming it is the same service.

Some rumors for an initial movie list are:

Just Go With It (Adam Sandler)
Cedar Rapids (Ed Helms)
Hall Pass (Owen Wilson)
The Adjustment Bureau (Matt Damon)

It’s a good option I guess, for those who have to see the latest movie now. Up until a few years ago the last movie I saw in a theater was the first Jurassic Park on New Years Day 1993. I’ve been to a few in the past 2-3 years starting with Haunting In Connecticut and ending most recently with The A Team. There is has never been a movie that I ‘just had to see’ right away, although I did get pretty excited for both Orphan and Salt. Paying $30 for a movie I can pay $1 for at RedBox in a few months doesn’t make much sense or in a few more months see on HBO or Showtime.

Well Amazon VOD has some "limited" same day (as in the theaters) releases for $8 a pop....

I dont think its that bad of a deal.

When I take my family of 4 out to the movies it is around $80 if not more...

Plus I know what my home theater can do, its always a crap shoot when I go to the movies... no ringing cell phones, no people talking, no people yelling SHHHHHH, no crying screaming kids, no one kicking the back of your seat, and no sticky floors.

$30 isnt a bad deal at all. I am intereted in seeing their initial list of movies. :)

You have a family of 4 that will sit down and watch a movie, all the way thru without any Cell Phones going off or people talking ?

What do you do, tie them up with Duct tape ahead of time ? :D

Fwiw, I feel it's too expensive, like others have said, $ 10 would be a great price point and get alot of action, $15 is probably the Top I'd pay, but then I don't watch movies very often and only go to the Theater on special occasions.

If only one or two people see the movie, then $30 may be too much. If three or more are going to watch the movie, then it would be better to pay the $30 for the movie.

When a popular movie comes out, you don't have to wait in line to get tickets and hope that movie is not sold out. Also, you don't have to wait in line to get a good seat for you and whoever you are with.

and if it is the same service, then those movies have been playing for a couple of weeks

This service is the same service that is already offered in hotels but the hotels only charge around $12.00-$15.00 for it.

I also agree, move it to the 12 - 15 dollars, and they will get a lot of takers

People with a group, maybe, but for a couple of people, they could go to a twilight show for about 15 bucks

Where I live movie tickets alone are 10.50 per person. Go on a date thats 21 bucks not including the 2 dollars in gas to get there (its 4.45 per gallon where I live). and a popcorn is 5 bucks drinks are 4 each. And you cant bring vodka or run.

So all in all not a bad price.

I guess its time to go get the projector ready.

it would be just my luck to have four or five folks over for a movie, spend the 30 bucks then halfway through a big rain comes and there goes my signal! I wonder if it will be a one shot deal or an all day ticket just in case the weather takes it out?

n4uaj said:
it would be just my luck to have four or five folks over for a movie, spend the 30 bucks then halfway through a big rain comes and there goes my signal! I wonder if it will be a one shot deal or an all day ticket just in case the weather takes it out?

Scott posted there is a 48 hour viewing window. Watch as many times as you want in that time slot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)