Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DIRECTV Launches Univision and TeleFutura in Crystal-Clear HD

DIRECTV is the First Provider to Offer National Distribution of the Leading Spanish-Language Networks in HD - Kicking Off the Launch Of 30 New Channels That Will Expand DIRECTV's HD Lineup to More Than 160

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Apr 28, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, the world's most popular video service, today became the first video provider to offer national distribution of Univision HD and TeleFutura HD networks, marking the beginning of DIRECTV's HD expansion to more than 160 HD channels. DIRECTV is also launching Univision and TeleFutura local stations in HD in top Hispanic markets soon, in anticipation of the 2010 FIFA World CupTM.

"Univision and TeleFutura are two leading broadcast networks and DIRECTV is honored to be the first provider to offer these essential networks in striking HD," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "The demand for HD content continues to grow among Hispanic households, and we are committed to providing that content to our Spanish-language customers, including the highly anticipated 2010 FIFA World Cup."

"We are thrilled to make both Univision and TeleFutura available in high definition on DIRECTV, providing our viewers the opportunity to enjoy their favorite programming in the highest digital quality picture available," said Tonia O'Connor, executive vice president, Distribution Sales and Marketing. "Our viewers have come to expect the best from our networks, and partnering with DIRECTV allows us to deliver our networks via their leading satellite technology."

Univision and TeleFutura, both owned by Univision Communications, Inc., are the leading Spanish-language programming destinations for U.S. Hispanics. Univision Network is one of the top five broadcast networks in the United States, regardless of language. TeleFutura launched in 2002 and is now the second most watched Spanish-language network in the U.S. during key dayparts. These networks offer a variety of programming that has consistently delivered high viewership in the Hispanic community across the country.

DIRECTV customers who currently have access to the standard-definition broadcasts of Univision East and TeleFutura West will automatically receive the HD versions, if they have HD Access and HD equipment.

DIRECTV Más(TM) offers the widest array of Spanish- and English-language programming available and the latest satellite technology, all combined to provide viewers with digital-quality picture and sound at competitive prices. The service provides access to more than 60 channels in Spanish, including top programming from Mexico, Central and South America, Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic and Spain. DIRECTV Más(TM) programming offers sports, movies, music, news and educational networks, and access to more than 235 English-language channels of DIRECTV(R) programming, featuring the largest selection of pay per view choices and sports programming available. For pricing please visit www.DIRECTVMás.com or call 1-866-501-1Más (627).

For more information, please contact 1-800-DIRECTV or visit Good TV. Better TV. DIRECTV..

FWIW, Univison was put on satellite D11. TeleFutura wasn't put on D11 or D10 and was put on either 110 or 119 which are used mainly for international packages. New customers for the English packages don't get a dish that can even see 110 and 119. Telefutura won't take bandwidth that could be used for the English programming packages.

So these two stations are viewed by what percentage of all Direct subs?

Out of the few that watch these stations, how many have HD?

The women on Univision and TeleFutura look better then the women on CW and NBC. :)

I dont know what they are saying but they are sure fun to watch!

Best I can tell Univision is 1080i & Telefutura is 720p (having high wind / signal issues)Uni caps (second cap looked like this, dream or memory sequence)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-383083.jpg
    vlcsnap-383083.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,682
  • vlcsnap-383179.jpg
    vlcsnap-383179.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 414
A lot of people speak spanish like it or not in the USA.
Might as well throw them a few HD channels.

While I'm not excited about it, these rank about the same to me as RSN's and PPV.
Only difference I get them with my base pack.

FWIW, Univison was put on satellite D11. TeleFutura wasn't put on D11 or D10 and was put on either 110 or 119 which are used mainly for international packages. New customers for the English packages don't get a dish that can even see 110 and 119. Telefutura won't take bandwidth that could be used for the English programming packages.

As to Univision on D11, guess that makes sense as I got Univision before now as part of regular choice plus package (or whatever they call it) and I only have a SL3 LNB.

Telefutura on 110w or 119w makes sense as it is part of the Latino programming package.

So these two stations are viewed by what percentage of all Direct subs?

Out of the few that watch these stations, how many have HD?

I thought pretty much everyone gets Univision either on 402 or via a local channel.

Even though many people who frequent these forums may or may not watch very much Spanish programming, the ratings are probably better than most of the cable networks we have in HD.

For example, the evening news on Univision has consistently trended similar to Fox News' prime time ratings (tops among the cable news nets, and frequently top 5 among cable nets)

I wish their was a way we could watch it in English.
Seems kind of unfair that alot of English channels have SAP, but it doesn't seem like any spanish channels have audio in english.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts