DirecTV loud loud loud commercials

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
Yes, this has been brought up before but I have yet to find an explanation for why DirecTV is the worst offender of cranking up the volumes when commercials come on.

Not but 10 minutes after waking up and starting the coffee I had Fox News on and it was extra loud during commercials as always when suddenly a Nutrisystem commercial came on and my 11 year old son jumped out of his seat (which is good because he needed a good jolt). It was so LOUD! At least double the volume of the already loud commercials. Then Fox and Friends came back on and I could hardly hear it. I wasn't about to touch the remote though to turn up the volume, knowing they would go to commercials again and I'd be blown away.

This happens on many channels on DirecTV. I also have cable and of course OTA and this is not an issue. I have previously had Dish and this was not a problem. The only other device that changes volume so much is the PS3 during Bluray movies, from action to talking scenes. But heck, it still isn't as bad as these commercials.

Somebody from DirecTV fess up. I know that each provider gets a certain amount of commercial time to insert their own commercials (ie DirecTV inserts national crap like MagicKey and local cable inserts local ads.... whoever will buy) but can an ad buyer actually pay extra for kicking it up a few notches on the volume? Because that is exactly what they are doing! I hope DirecTV is at least getting some extra money out of this obnoxiousness. Maybe it will keep my bill a little cheaper.

I'm sure I'll get some people that tell me I need a new audio receiver. What, my $200 Sony unit (speakers sold separately) isn't good enough? I am not about to run out and buy a "better" unit for $2000+ (for each room). These two Sony systems (bedroom and livingroom) have worked just fine with my other providers but get so loud with DirecTV.

What I am looking for is just a setting I may be missing in the HD DVR 21 menu. Is there an audio output leveler? My equipment is fine.... it must be a setting, no?

MY Sony and Philips TV have Audio leveling on them . I used to turn that on when I had D* . Thats seems to work. But I agree D* is the absolute worst when it comes to changes in audio. Half the time in HD the volume had to be turned way up just to hear it,and then you change the channel to an SD ,and get blasted out. Plus audio sync issues as well. I blame it all on software . D* needs Tivo

i have the auto volume feature too but it's still loud as hell. very irritating. in fact D seems to be worse with this not only with their commercials but with other commercials as well. the auto volume feature works better with E than with D.

I switched from E* to D* about 2 months ago. I originally had the 622 hooked up via optical and DD selected in the menu. I soon thereafter hooked it up via left and right channel and fed through my sound receiver because of the HUGE sound level difference between programming and commercials. I now have my HR21-100 hooked up via optical and while there is some discrepancy it is nowhere near the difference I had with the 622. My experience and $.02 worth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts