DirecTV MLB Extra Innings Free Preview

Status
Please reply by conversation.
RSN HD ???`s

When all the RSN`s go to the HD broadcasts either with D* or E* will those be spot beamed into the local markets only ??? Reason for my question I subscribe to not only the MLB and Sports Pack,but the HD pack as well.Will I only receive the RSN in my area and the HD games on channel 94-95 only, or will the other out of market nets be available as well in HD??

Last edited:
Next year if you get MLB EI, you will get all the games in HD conus. We are not sure if the HD will be imbedded in the Super Fan. There are reports that you can get the HD versions without Super Fan for NFL Sunday Ticket. It will be interesting to see if that is a reality.

Next year if you get MLB EI, you will get all the games in HD conus. We are not sure if the HD will be imbedded in the Super Fan. There are reports that you can get the HD versions without Super Fan for NFL Sunday Ticket. It will be interesting to see if that is a reality.

Yes it will be interesting and probably confusing as well until it gets ironed out. I have ST with SF also and if all games will be seen in HD why pay x-tra for the SF if the afore mentioned is true.Thanks for the come back Brew I appreciate your help in trying to understand this matter.

Yes it will be interesting and probably confusing as well until it gets ironed out. I have ST with SF also and if all games will be seen in HD why pay x-tra for the SF if the afore mentioned is true.Thanks for the come back Brew I appreciate your help in trying to understand this matter.

The only way I am going to believe you can get HD versions with NFL ST without Super Fan is when the season starts or I see it posted on Directv's site. Not that I dont believe what folks have been told, its that they have been told it will work. So I hope it does. It will be a good day for all HD and sport fans if they dont force us into Super Fan packages.

I have to believe that eventually the superfan package will be for interactive and other extra stuff. Once again eventually the HD versions will probably be standard with the ST, I just don't think that we are there yet. I can't fathom that anyone will be willing to pay the extra cash for the SF if it isn't necessary to receive the HD broadcasts at this time. When the season starts and there are those that do not have SF on their account, whether purchased or added as a freebie, are receiving the HD games I for one would not be a happy sub. Okay, I am a happy sub mostl of the time but, I would definately have some questions for D*. I would bet that there is either some confusion or misinformed CSR's, imagine that....

DirecTV has done a far better job of delivering the HD RSN's than DISH and cable for sure and I am thinking that FiOS doesn't even offer the RSNs in SD let alone HD - thats certainly NOT logical.

When the season starts and there are those that do not have SF on their account, whether purchased or added as a freebie, are receiving the HD games I for one would not be a happy sub. Okay, I am a happy sub mostl of the time but, I would definately have some questions for D*. I would bet that there is either some confusion or misinformed CSR's, imagine that....
I hear ya and agree 100%,that would cause a major uproar with me as well.

DirecTV has done a far better job of delivering the HD RSN's than DISH and cable for sure and I am thinking that FiOS doesn't even offer the RSNs in SD let alone HD - thats certainly NOT logical.

I'm not sure how that is relevant. But fios how has many of the majors rsns in hd in their service areas including nesn, but of course fios is not available across the entire country like satellite services. Dish I will admit was behind directv for a while in this regard but they also have caught up to some extent, with the exception of nesn hd.

I'm not sure how that is relevant. But fios how has many of the majors rsns in hd in their service areas including nesn, but of course fios is not available across the entire country like satellite services. Dish I will admit was behind directv for a while in this regard but they also have caught up to some extent, with the exception of nesn hd.

FiOS is a minor player - so you are right its not relevant to the overwhelming majority of people. Within 90 days or so they will probably have the fewest HD channels of most providers also. Cablevision just added many, DISH is adding, and of course D* will have more than double FiOS by the end of the year.

In regards to DISH catching up to DirecTV with RSNs - I don't think so - not yet at least. BESIDES NESN, they don't have ANY full time RSNs (as DirecTV does, and as all of them will be by the end of the year), they still don't carry the largest RSN even in SD, and only have 17 total lit in part time HD if I count correctly - still pretty far behind really.

I joined up so I could publicly thank DirecTV for the July 12-18 SuperFan upgrade invitation I received in the mail today.
Wait a minute.............Isn't today the 19th??

CRAP :mad::mad:

I joined up so I could publicly thank DirecTV for the July 12-18 SuperFan upgrade invitation I received in the mail today.
Wait a minute.............Isn't today the 19th??

CRAP :mad::mad:

Just call and ask for the deal blaming the mail. If they give you a hard time, ask to talk to retention and state your case. Just be nice but stick to your guns.

Not worth it, IMO

Okay, so my local team (Atlanta) was available in this EI promo this week for several games that were not blacked out on my local RSN (SportSouth or FSN South). When I tuned to the EI channel (700-something), I saw the SD feed. When I tuned to SportSouth or FSN South, I saw the SD feed. Since the games were played in Atlanta (home team feed) and were listed on HD Sports Guide as available in HD on SportSouth or FSN South, why wouldn't I get the HD feed through EI. I understand that I am not in a DMA that currently has locals in HD (apparently this factors in somehow), but if the game is being CONUS-beamed to me via EI, shouldn't I have gotten them in HD?

This confusion is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't ever bother with MLBEI (or FullCourt, NFLST, or CenterIce) as "my teams" in all those sports are "local" - Duke Basketball and all those other ACC teams, Carolina Panthers, and Carolina Hurricanes. If there is no certainty that I can get one of these local teams in HD through a Premium Package and that blackout rules wouldn't get in the way, why would I spend the money? :confused: This free preview did more to push me further away from a premium package than it did to entice me to sign up and pay for it. :mad:

Okay, so my local team (Atlanta) was available in this EI promo this week for several games that were not blacked out on my local RSN (SportSouth or FSN South). When I tuned to the EI channel (700-something), I saw the SD feed. When I tuned to SportSouth or FSN South, I saw the SD feed. Since the games were played in Atlanta (home team feed) and were listed on HD Sports Guide as available in HD on SportSouth or FSN South, why wouldn't I get the HD feed through EI. I understand that I am not in a DMA that currently has locals in HD (apparently this factors in somehow), but if the game is being CONUS-beamed to me via EI, shouldn't I have gotten them in HD?

This confusion is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't ever bother with MLBEI (or FullCourt, NFLST, or CenterIce) as "my teams" in all those sports are "local" - Duke Basketball and all those other ACC teams, Carolina Panthers, and Carolina Hurricanes. If there is no certainty that I can get one of these local teams in HD through a Premium Package and that blackout rules wouldn't get in the way, why would I spend the money? :confused: This free preview did more to push me further away from a premium package than it did to entice me to sign up and pay for it. :mad:

They only show 2 HD games nation wide right now because of space. My local RSN has an HD game sometimes and it isn't shown either because of this.

I thought that you would get the local RSN game in HD if you had it and it was broadcast in HD if you had the new MPEG 4 equipment and 5 LNB dish??

I thought that you would get the local RSN game in HD if you had it and it was broadcast in HD if you had the new MPEG 4 equipment and 5 LNB dish??

Not all the time. Not all local RSN's are in Mpeg-4 and Directv doesn't have enough room to broadcast all of them in Mpeg-2

You have to remember the packages are geared towards fans of the TOTAL sport (like me and baseball) or fans of a team out of their local market.

If you were a big Angels fan, for instance, you would consider the package more valuable than as a fan of a local team.

You should get your local RSN in HD on 96/97 as long as you are in the metro spotbeam/dma area.

Ultimately, I get just about every game in SD, and the occasional FOX/ESPN game in HD. But like FlyingJ said, I was thinking that since SS/FSNSouth were broadcasting in HD and they are my local team that I would get them on the 90's channels. Maybe this will happen in September (just in time for the pennant races).

I am not pissed since I was not paying for the MLBEI this past week, but "currently" this was all the evidence I need to decide NOT to pay for this service.

Ultimately, I get just about every game in SD, and the occasional FOX/ESPN game in HD. But like FlyingJ said, I was thinking that since SS/FSNSouth were broadcasting in HD and they are my local team that I would get them on the 90's channels. Maybe this will happen in September (just in time for the pennant races).

I am not pissed since I was not paying for the MLBEI this past week, but "currently" this was all the evidence I need to decide NOT to pay for this service.

IF you are in your local team market then Yes you should get their games provided they are being broadcast from your RSN in HD on channels 96-97, as long as you are close enough and your zip code is in the allowed area.
I am close enough to the FSN Detroit but my zip code is not included in the area designated therefore I have had to watch the Tigers in SD all year outside of the occasional Fox Saturday game... ESPN is normally blacked out for me when they are on there.
One other thing you might want to do is check the local FSN website for a list of your teams games that are actually in HD this year as not all are, with the Tigers I think about 60 games are listed to be in HD on the FSN channel, but I will not see any of them.....

I wish the "Blackout Rules" could be re addressed, as I think the whole thing needs to be revamped, of course no one is going to ask the actual user what they think.

Hopefully the FSN area (zip code) issue will be expanded once the bandwidth is available some have mentioned that they will then be CONUS

Jimbo

IF you are in your local team market then Yes you should get their games provided they are being broadcast from your RSN in HD on channels 96-97, as long as you are close enough and your zip code is in the allowed area.
I am close enough to the FSN Detroit but my zip code is not included in the area designated therefore I have had to watch the Tigers in SD all year outside of the occasional Fox Saturday game... ESPN is normally blacked out for me when they are on there.
One other thing you might want to do is check the local FSN website for a list of your teams games that are actually in HD this year as not all are, with the Tigers I think about 60 games are listed to be in HD on the FSN channel, but I will not see any of them.....

I wish the "Blackout Rules" could be re addressed, as I think the whole thing needs to be revamped, of course no one is going to ask the actual user what they think.

Hopefully the FSN area (zip code) issue will be expanded once the bandwidth is available some have mentioned that they will then be CONUS

Jimbo

The channels they are broadcast on are channels 94 & 95. Not all games broadcast by your local RSN will be on Directv. There has been several games that are listed on Cincinnati's webpage that say are going to be in HD and I even hear the broadcasters say they are broadcasting in HD but Directv isn't broadcasting it for what ever reason.

Haha, I just went out to the mailbox and I too also got the postcard of the free preview.

DirecTV needs to mail these things earlier. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.