DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"For the longer-term, the agreement also sets the stage for LG Electronics to develop next-generation MPEG-4 HD DVRs (High- Definition Digital Video Recorders) and Home Media Center set-top boxes, further boosting LG's leadership in the global high-end set-top box market."

I hope they are further along than just setting the stage for development.

grydlok said:
You can't use a ota with a 6X8.

Ignore the last person you don't want to cascade a 6X8 into a 5X8.

There is a easier way to do it with a splitters and diplexers.
Ok, since I will have an extra 5x8 switch, could I plug the antenna into the ANT input, and run those cables out from switch to the stb's? That would cut out splitters and diplexors.

Kentstater72 said:
"For the longer-term, the agreement also sets the stage for LG Electronics to develop next-generation MPEG-4 HD DVRs (High- Definition Digital Video Recorders) and Home Media Center set-top boxes, further boosting LG's leadership in the global high-end set-top box market."

I hope they are further along than just setting the stage for development.

Is D* having 2nd thoughts about Ucentric software?

Don

I thought that someone said you can't diplex anymore with the new switch because they stacked the frequencies over the same ones used by OTA signals.

So, if you live in New York and get the networks on your stb via conus, what will happen after the conversion to mpeg4? Will the NY locals go to spot beam?

mx6bfast said:
Ok, since I will have an extra 5x8 switch, could I plug the antenna into the ANT input, and run those cables out from switch to the stb's? That would cut out splitters and diplexors.

yes you can.

That's actually what I meant, I just thought you needed to diplex the ANT signal out, didn't know otherwise, sorry for my erroneous info.

donwylie said:
Why on earth would I want to pay $49 and accept a 2 year commitment to receive what I allready have ? If D* isn't going to add more than the local channels in HD then this is a waste of time. I am allready getting the local HD channels off of my antenna without a 2 year commitment.
Seems like theres something missing from this picture
Don :mad: :eek:

You probably wouldn't want to upgrade at this point but some of us can't get the big 4 via OTA... it's certainly worth it to me! :) I'm SIXTY miles from the CBS tower... UGH!

I have all 4 networks from NY thanks to waivers (well, for CBS, NBC, and FOX) The ABC waiver is a carryover from whenever we lived in the Louisville DMA and got it. D* never shut it off.

I can pull in NBC CBS and FOX over the air already, it's ABC here that I have an issue with.

I still want to know what D* will do with folks in the NYC DMA. Will the nets be spot beamed or conus (which is how I can them now)

I am also in the NY DMA and have kept up with this transition through your forum since July. I was eagerly anticipating that this would add HD programming. I know that their objective is to get the locals and that's understandable since they received the most growth from this initiative in SD. I guess I was wishing/hoping that they also would add a few nationals and the other networks UPN, WB. I guess from a NY standpoint, this transition isn't really gonna be great for us until 2007 when the 150 nationals (can this really be true?) are added. If anyone has info on this I sure would like to hear it.

timmac: I have your concerns as well. I know this is a bit provincial, but if this upgrade is not going to increase the HD offerings available to us (i.e. NYC area) I'll hold off. I already get the big four in HD; I thought we also might get UPN, WB and PBS in HD, in which case the bigger dish and the repositioning to avoid blocking my neighbor's dishes would be worth it. Also worth it, of course, if there will be HD channels only receivable via the new satellites/receivers.

Otherwise I'll wait.

=NLK=

I also agree, why should I pay D* for my locals, I get them by a $14 indoor antenna! And D* wants me to pay $200 for a HD20 (if my rebate check is lost..forget it) & $49 for a DISH replacement, since I payed $599 for my D* Sony HD300, its working fine..........I already see my locals in HD for free.....until they offer more National HD programing....& sure want a HD-DVR....hope things change by the time my area is up for the upgrade!

Barney

Question.

Will multicasted channels still be available OTA?

For instance, in the Detroit area, the NBC affiliate has a 4-2, which is a weather/radar feed. Will these channels still exist OTA which the new MPEG-4 recievers/5-LNB dish setup?

They won't be supplied by D, but OTA you'll still be able to tune in all your local digital channels - including subchannels.

But if you watch them, don't tell anybody. Subchannels are the biggest culprit when it comes to degrading HD picture quality. The last thing we want is an expansion of their use.

CPanther95 said:
But if you watch them, don't tell anybody. Subchannels are the biggest culprit when it comes to degrading HD picture quality. The last thing we want is an expansion of their use.

The genie's been let out of the bottle and it won't be put back. Too many stations will see this as a source of additional revenue and $'s speak lounder the HD PQ.

Battle's not over yet. Without must-carry, they may have very little penetration in order to generate a significant amount of revenue. But you're right, it doesn't look good - there's also little in the way of cost when they're comprised primarily of looped programming.

Additional HD local channels

First of all, I would like to say what a great job you guys do with this site. I am so much more educated about HD television in general thanks to all the various posts. I have had HD television (with D*) for about 10 months and I am anxious for new channels like everyone else. There have been posts about the locals being added beyond the big 4. I saw on this site that it appears Detroit will also be getting UPN and the WB. Solidsignal has a site that shows what Detroit appears to be getting (can't post URL since I am a first time post) when they are up and running. Thanks for all the good info!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)