DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Awesome, it looks like UPN and WB will be part of the locals! Now lets see that new HD-DVR and maybe TNT and that would be totally awesome!

timmac said:
Awesome, it looks like UPN and WB will be part of the locals! Now lets see that new HD-DVR and maybe TNT and that would be totally awesome!

I just signed up for install today at my home and was told that only ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS are included in the HD local package. Interestingly, I was also told I would not be charged for my install.

adawg said:
I just signed up for install today at my home and was told that only ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS are included in the HD local package. Interestingly, I was also told I would not be charged for my install.

I am certain they are referring specifically to the new HD locals as they come online and all new customer installs should be free unless you order add-ons or make special install requests.

WELCOME!

timmac said:

Even if WB & UPN are included in the Detroit market, don't assume that will be the case for every market they add. D* has been careful to say nothing more specific than the "most popular" HD channels will be added in each market.

As I get ready for my new system to be installed, I am getting more nervous about the installer having to patch the holes in my roof from the existing dish mast, as I understand they will need to install a new one. Now, the installer they sent just 3 months ago to install my system at my new house did an awesome job with the install, but you cannot guarentee you will always get a good installer. What is the proper way to installers to patch holes in a roof? This roof is fairly new and I do not want to get into a situation where my roof leaks or I need to replace shingles and try to match up shingle colors...

grydlok said:
That's your problem to take care of.

So they are going to take down the old mount and mast and leave gaping holes in my roof? You have got to be kidding me.

adawg said:
So they are going to take down the old mount and mast and leave gaping holes in my roof? You have got to be kidding me.

nope they should leave the old mount base and remove the arm.

grydlok said:
nope they should leave the old mount base and remove the arm.

An installer I talked to said that the new dish uses an entirely new mount base, which means the old one has to come off.

Proc said:
An installer I talked to said that the new dish uses an entirely new mount base, which means the old one has to come off.

I have a tripod with a removable post. I hope a 2" pole fits.
I don't want to replace the existing tripod and fill the holes.
Chip

Neutron said:
Any competent installer will fill those holes with sealant to prevent any water leaks.

Our installers try to do that but when the silicone and the leg become one (from age) and is likely to pull shingles off, we leave that leg alone. The benefit of a cleaner roof NEVER outweighs a damaged roof any day. :)

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Our installers try to do that but when the silicone and the leg become one (from age) and is likely to pull shingles off, we leave that leg alone. The benefit of a cleaner roof NEVER outweighs a damaged roof any day. :)

I can attest to that. I have two mounting plates on my roof....left there when my dish was moved back out to the garage roof. To remove them would've meant taking the shingles with it. I can't say I care for the 2 mounts up there, but its better than a ripped up roof.

I was hoping they would use the same mounting plate. I have mine mounted with concrete anchors on my south facing brick wall. Guess I may need to get some more RedHead anchors to put it up. I refuse to put in on my roof.

Proc said:
I can attest to that. I have two mounting plates on my roof....left there when my dish was moved back out to the garage roof. To remove them would've meant taking the shingles with it. I can't say I care for the 2 mounts up there, but its better than a ripped up roof.
Totally agree....what is the sense of taking the mounting plates off? I can't see my old one...and in my opinion, you are asking for trouble when you open up the holes from unscrewing the mounting screws.

Any information on which cables the H20 will come with, HDMI for example? Also will the USB port on the H20 have any useful functionality or is it just kind of there? I'm in the NYC area and already receive the major NY HD locals from D* as well as off of my OTA antenna, but I'll be glad when my very poorly designed RCA DTC210 is out of here. It'll be nice to watch 4:3 programs in actual 4:3; I know, odd thing to look forward to with this HD rollout but this DTC210 is a pure piece of crap.

I'm kind of annoyed too if the mounting plates are different, but maybe we'll get lucky and the new plates will be able to use the old holes left over from the old plate?

Tonedeaf said:
I was hoping they would use the same mounting plate. I have mine mounted with concrete anchors on my south facing brick wall. Guess I may need to get some more RedHead anchors to put it up. I refuse to put in on my roof.

I couldn't agree more. One piece of advice my daddy gave me (among some others) was "NEVER let anyone nail or screw ANYTHING into your roof. Period." If you have alrealdy done it and don't have water leaks, great, but I wouldn't tempt fate again. Either use the same mount or screw the new mount to a wall. Water leaks are the absolute WORST, can be almost impossible to find.

Just my experience.

=NLK=

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)