Directv National Downgrade Day Feb. 28, 2005

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No that's not saying that they all discontinue service. That's either downgrade or discontinue with most choosing to simply downgrade.

As of this post 11.68% were choosing downgrade with about 2.5% cancel subscription. I will just downgrade to Total Choice and if another big increase comes down the pipe next year, then I will look into the Para Todos packages.

Ken101 said:
Downgrade a little or downgrade a lot, but just downgrade.

With the increase, D* is still a better value than Comcrap.

Get over it.

lee espinoza said:
how to we know 100% that is a directv csr.
Doesn't matter if its a CSR, they're correct.

I think its awesome how you apply a poll with 280 votes to what millions of subs will do, and ignore all other criticism with 'yay, thanks for the floods of emails'.

This whole idea is full of it. I'd love to see you intentionally buy a new car that gets you 8mpg, not getting that is an exercise in common sense and ability of car companies to make a better product (how much did your new car cost compare to the old one, omg was there a price increase?) ....and gas is still pretty expensive compared to when it first started to rise again, you still drive less?

Ken101, I don't believe a word that you're saying. I don't believe that you have received all of these so called emails, nor do I believe your percentages that you post. I've been with DirecTv for about 10 years and things are great. A $3.00 increase? No problem. I'm willing to bet that you are a current Voom subscriber, heading to Dish when Voom folds, and you're trying to drum up support in the hopes that you're not jumping on another loser (Dish). I still don't see why everyone has the high hopes that Charlie is going to add Voom to Dish and make it a big winner. Look at what he has done with Dish the past few years. Something tells me that Rupert is not tossing and tuning in bed at night worrying about the "downgrade/cancel" date. Quit looking foolish here.

Didn't the rate just go up LAST March too?

charper1 said:
$2 after all these years and with new birds going up? I can take it cause its way cheaper than cable with less options.

You know, I live very close to Lordstown, Ohio, which is where the GM plant is. One of the best kept secrets in this country, is how much does it really cost to build a car? Even the big Hummers and such can't cost GM more than 10,000-15,000, yet they sell these things for the cost of my house. Yet, people flock to own one, cause they have to have the newest thing. Then you factor the cost of insurance, and gas, which is almost $2.00 a gallon here, and you reach a point that I could never get to. How many of those people that said they are gonna downgrade drive one of these, or some other big SUV that costs just as much to buy and maintain? I'm glad the OP decided to downgrade his auto, I think that's something we all should do( I drive a 94 Saturn), but instead of looking at the cost of living as a whole, and the inflation of a gallon of milk ( almost $3.00, which never would have been believed a few years ago), a loaf of bread ($1.29 as opposed to .69), they choose to oppose a company that has decided that they need to recoup some money they have laid out: for satelittes( 4 in 2 years at a cost of billions), all of the above mentioned "freebies", which do add up across the board, and new programming that's coming down the pike.
Is it gonna break us? No, and I understand that's not the point. But, at the same time, nothing is ever gonna stay the same, at this point in time, and the time to come. It could be alot worst, they could raise prices every year, as cable does, but 3 in 10 years is not a bad history.

The newer vehicle was cheaper. No repairs, better mileage, and was a tax write-off. The old one had transmission go one month, then the drive train and to top it all off it got 8 mpg on a good day.

Talk to any csr and they will say when increases come people do downgrade in much higher volumes than normal. With this being the biggest increase in price ever for Directv they are expecting better than 12% I was told. BTW that poll is now up to over 15% :) And no I won't go back to cable, Directv is still better, but these $2.00 and $3.00 yearly increases need to go back down. Or pretty soon it will be harder to tell a cable bill from a satellite bill.

I think we are all missing the big picture here... You cannot have a 1st Annual Directv National Downgrade Day. It is that simple.

Something can't be annual unless it has happened before.

The Inaugural Directv National Downgrade Day... Now that's a cause.

Ok I got you, sorry. Your right. And if they go back to more modest increases in the future it will be the last organized downgrade day.

This site compared to other dbs sites seems to have a large amount of dbs cheerleaders, whereas no dbs provider can do any wrong. One post was even asking for a $5.00 increase. I say Directv should give just him one (probably likes tax increases too).

I also work 6 days a week (own business) and I don't get to call in sick or miss a day so I have to have a newer vehicle that is reliable as I'm no mechanic. If it doesn't work...then I don't work. Otherwise I would drive something a bit older. And if I buy a new or newer vehicle and you say thats an increase, well then it's one I chose not one thrust upon me.

ericg...yes the rates (atleast for the plus package) did go up $2.00 last March. That's $5.00 a month. Concrap in my area raised their prices approx. $2.50 a year last and this Jan., do you see what I mean by cable sized increase.

Hey presidential polls where millions will vote are based on samples of just several hundred in some cases.

Sorry, but I'm sticking around for at least another year. I've been getting free HD package for almost 6 months now. When D* goes MPEG 4 at my home & D* updates my HD STB to maybe a HD DVR for $250....I'll be very happy.

Ken101 said:
Hey presidential polls where millions will vote are based on samples of just several hundred in some cases.

There's more to it than just picking 100 random people. Firstly, the polls here or on TC are not random, they skew to one particular slice of the DirecTV customer base. When actual pollsters take polls, they make sure they get an even percentage of minorities, women, men, young, old, rich, poor, urban, suburban, rural, etc. to make sure the sample reflects the actual makeup of the whole. taking a poll on TC where people could theoretically vote twice and where the users are lopsided to one particular set of DirecTV's customers does not in any way reflect any realistic idea of what will happen when the rates go up.

Well the type of person on the tivo forums is more likely to carry more programming than most and not be as concerned about price as much.

Ken101 said:
Ok I got you, sorry. Your right. And if they go back to more modest increases in the future it will be the last organized downgrade day.

This site compared to other dbs sites seems to have a large amount of dbs cheerleaders, whereas no dbs provider can do any wrong. One post was even asking for a $5.00 increase. I say Directv should give just him one (probably likes tax increases too).

No cheerleaders here, you haven't read enough of the posts. The reality is that even with a few hiccups from time to time w/ equipment or service problems the majority of us still see this as a minor increase and D* is still a great value. Face it, things tend to get more expensive over time and as long as the customer still percieves a value, they will continue to buy. If you no longer see this as a value, that's your thing but I think you're being far too optimistic if you believe you're going to make much of a difference. Don't get me wrong... If you get the rate hike rescinded no one is going to complain about paying less $. I just think that you are getting too worked up about $3.00.

Work hard on this project Ken. If you manage to save that $3.00, you can go buy that gallon of milk. Either way you go, you're going to spend those three dollar bills. Hope it doesn't break you. :river

Status
Please reply by conversation.