DirecTV No Even Transponders

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dougwin13

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
dominican republic
I own a sports bar in the Dominican Republic and I brought my DirecTV Recievers down here so I could hook them up at my bar. I heard I would have to have a bigger dish down here to get a signal so I bought an 8' dish. I got everything hooked up but I am having a problem. I am not getting a signal from most of my even transponders. My signal readings look like this:

1-8 76 93 81 0 76 0 80 0
9-16 74 94 79 0 74 0 78 0
17-24 74 0 78 0 77 0 80 0
25-32 75 0 76 0 73 0 76 0

I talked to a local installer and he said I probably need a bigger dish. I really don't think that is the problem. I just think he is trying to make money off me. I really need to figure out whats wrong because football season is coming and I need to have them all working so I can get the NFL Sunday ticket. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some advice.

Could be a bad LNB. Or the receiver isn't sending the 18v switching voltage reliably for the even TPs.
How long is the coax from dish to receiver?

The coax is about 50ft from the dish to the multiswitch. I don't think it has anything to do with the recievers because it is happening on all 3 recievers.

did you rerun the satellite setup?

If you had something different at home than there it will cause the receiver to screw up

ya, i reran satellite setup. how can i test if it is the multiswitch or LNB? also, don't understand why i'm getting a signal from the number 2 and 10 transponders?

dtro77 said:
ODD Even error is bad LNB or Multiswitch. Not cable length !

Actually it very well could be a cable length issue. At 50 feet we know it's not but missing even/odd transponders can be caused by the length of the cable. 16 volts and 11 volts are the minimum the LNB needs to change channels. If the receivers are putting out 18 and 13 the voltage for evens may be just enough but the odds might be just a tad weak and not make it all the way to the dish if the length is an issue

I had a similar issue with one of my receivers. It had 0's on most odd transponders. Problem was a loose barrel connection. I tightened all connections, got transponders back.
The other possible is defective ground block. Since you have signal the dish is ok. Since the problem is common to all receivers the problem will be the LNB....a fitting...the ground block...the multiswitch. You do not say what kind of LNB you have but..if there are two cables going from the LNB to the Multiswitch........change the ports on the cables.......if the problem moves and you loose odd transponders.......the cable or a fitting that gives you the zeros is the problem. Look for dings in the cable.

Also, the 8' dish is not standard...maybe someone could guide you on focal distance........(LNB to dish.)

Report back what it turns out to be.

Joe

The other possible is defective ground block. Since you have signal the dish is ok. Since the problem is common to all receivers the problem will be the LNB....a fitting...the ground block...the multiswitch. You do not say what kind of LNB you have but..if there are two cables going from the LNB to the Multiswitch........change the ports on the cables.......if the problem moves and you loose odd transponders.......the cable or a fitting that gives you the zeros is the problem. Look for dings in the cable.

Also, the 8' dish is not standard...maybe someone could guide you on focal distance........(LNB to dish.)

Report back what it turns out to be.

Joe

How do I test to see if it is a defective ground block? The LNB is an HR22. I switched the 2 cables going into the multiswitch and nothing changed.

How do I test to see if it is a defective ground block? The LNB is an HR22. I switched the 2 cables going into the multiswitch and nothing changed.

Defective ground block is pretty rare. The test is to bypass it or replace it with a new or known to be good ground block. Or you could splice a piece of cable and put a meter on it to look for shorts etc.

Check the fittings at the GB and by pass the ground block.........If the problem goes away you found the problem.......The other thing to verify is the channels............are you missing the programming? It is unlikely three receivers have defective signal meter features but with the nonstandard dish ......worth a look.

Joe

I am missing programming. If I hook one of the receivers directly to the LNB with a short coax and I still have the same problem would that tell me that I do need a bigger dish?

raoul5788 said:
I'm not a tech, but I think the only way is to replace it with a known good one.

Or hook up a line straight to it and check the transponders. Since you have a duel LNB you'll need to check both sides. One side might work flawless and the other may be missing the odd transponders. However, easier way is just swapping out the LNB.

How do can I test the LNB to see if it is bad?

Doug,
You don not say which LNB you have..........but a test for the LNB is to rig one port on the SD dual LNB to one receiver. If you get all transponders expect the other port to be defective........& replace the LNB.
Should you have more recent equipment.........the Slimline will show no channels on the 110 sat or the 99 / 103 could be missing (no HD).....The SWMS is going to also be hard to diagnose without a replacement.

Most times missing transponders = defective LNB............but you are pretty far off the reservation down there.

Just noticed Hutch1814 suggested the same thing.

Joe

I own a sports bar in the Dominican Republic and I brought my DirecTV Recievers down here so I could hook them up at my bar. I heard I would have to have a bigger dish down here to get a signal so I bought an 8' dish. I got everything hooked up but I am having a problem. I am not getting a signal from most of my even transponders. My signal readings look like this:

1-8 76 93 81 0 76 0 80 0
9-16 74 94 79 0 74 0 78 0
17-24 74 0 78 0 77 0 80 0
25-32 75 0 76 0 73 0 76 0

I talked to a local installer and he said I probably need a bigger dish. I really don't think that is the problem. I just think he is trying to make money off me. I really need to figure out whats wrong because football season is coming and I need to have them all working so I can get the NFL Sunday ticket. I would appreciate if anyone could give me some advice.

Who is the local installer there? Im in need some some satellite TV.

First thing I would try is bypassing your multiswitch. Run one wire from lnb directly to one receiver. If the problem goes away, then you have a bad switch. If the problem persists with the direct wire, then it is not your switch. I would then suggest, you have a bad or poorly pointed LNB. For OCONUS use I recomend the DTV32+ dual LNB from Eagle Aspen, it seems to be the cleanest/hotest LNB for that use.

Good Luck

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)