Directv: No Fox HD in Austin.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chesterbeag

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Pflugerville, Texas
Have just upgraded my system to HD, I was expecting to get Fox hd right away because they gave me Cbs Hd from NY. Fox has a much weaker station here in Austin, only 800 W which is next to impossible to get in my area. They said that the best they could do is to process a waiver which could take 45 days. No Superbowl in HD and no American Idol either. Our local Fox needs to upgrade their signal or allow instant waivers.
It is a fox owned station and not an afiliate.
Just thought everyone should know. :mad:

I live in a FOX O/O market, you should be able to get it with no issue. When I got my system setup it took about 5 seconds to get it on my TV.

Automatic.............when CBS-HD came on (seems like a long time ago), I had to call, but the CSR "turned it on right there", wasn't on the phone more than a minute.
The local FOX in Austin, Texas is O&O. Ask 'em who they need a waver from?

don't wate your time calling the regular phone number, call the HDTV eligibility number - 1 800 263 0028.

dgordo said:
don't wate your time calling the regular phone number, call the HDTV eligibility number - 1 800 263 0028.

Called the number and there is 2 affiliates that I have to worry about. Since I live North of Austin they say they need a waiver from KWKT in the temple or Waco area, which is also impossible to pick up being over 75 miles away. FYI Got some info about our local Fox station it is only broadcasting at 800 watts. They plan full power by mid summer. Will have to wait for a waiver I guess. If that fails, I will have to wait for an OTA signal this summer.
:(

This brings up a valid point that these affiliates are able to deny waivers based on full power instead of what the current temporary license does (I live in the Denver DMA). Why D* can't just allow a waiver until that station has fully installed at the output power they are licensed to. Dang broadcaster are draggin there feet big time on this issue and have no reason to convert argh.

Chesterbeag said:
Called the number and there is 2 affiliates that I have to worry about. Since I live North of Austin they say they need a waiver from KWKT in the temple or Waco area, which is also impossible to pick up being over 75 miles away. FYI Got some info about our local Fox station it is only broadcasting at 800 watts. They plan full power by mid summer. Will have to wait for a waiver I guess. If that fails, I will have to wait for an OTA signal this summer.
:(

This is another example of the "white area" (is that the term?) Where I live I'm considered in the San Antonio local FOX which is 75 miles away (but D* just added it when it came on). I would suggest calling the Temple/Waco station Gen manager, be real nice & see if they'll give you the waiver. If not, they can have a test done at your place to see if you can get their signal & if you can't get a signal, they have to pay for the test & grant a waiver. Of cource after doing all this, time will pass & hopefully our FOX will go full power.
I've known about our local FOX station every since I went HD (over a year ago). They have used the "hardship" rule to its fullest. I've traded a few emails with them....always the same....sometime in the summer of 2005!!!

So the HD dept says you can't have FOX-HD due to Waco/Temple area?

Barney

Actually got the waiver approved from KWKT and called the HD department again.
This time they say it is back to getting a waiver from KTBC in Austin. Even though it is an O&O. I guess KTBC is desperate not to lose any viewers.

Call HD dept again & again, talk to somebody different. Look at this at D* own web site..Austin is on the list, you do not need a waver from Austin...

Austin FOX-HD

give this website to the guy/gal in HD dept.....

Don't give up........

Barney

What a battle

Finally won out. After calling KTBC and talking to an engineer, he verified what I suspected all along. They do not process waivers there.

To the end a customer service rep from D* still tried to play it down saying that if they do not do waivers they can't turn it on. I just told her that I know people who get Fox East on Directv in Austin and that it should be Automatic.
They ran out of excuses.
They finally turned it on.
Yes.

Thanks to all for the Advice.

Congratulations! All of us here in Austin are exasperated with FOX7 for broadcasting its OTA digital signal at this ridiculously low wattage. Thankfully, they are O&O, so we can, as you did, get the national feed. I can't believe it took the CSRs so long to get that right for you!

--Dino

Congrats Chester....SuperBowl Sunday at Chester's house!!!!
My neighbor across the street is coming over to see HD for the 1st time...and get to hear 5.1 audio along with it.

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)