DIRECTV NOW LAUNCH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Watching it now and getting solid 5 Mbps with no dips. Probably because 1/2 the country is still down. ;)

Internet streaming will never I repeat never replace traditional cable, OTA and satellite options. As I said internet streaming drops out everytime there is any kind of demand however cable, OTA and satellite will always be rock solid yes even rain fad goes away quicker is not as bad as staring at a black screen and error message for hours or a frozen or blurry picture.

Internet streaming will never I repeat never replace traditional cable, OTA and satellite options. As I said internet streaming drops out everytime there is any kind of demand however cable, OTA and satellite will always be rock solid yes even rain fad goes away quicker is not as bad as staring at a black screen and error message for hours or a frozen or blurry picture.
I disagree. It will take some time for sure, as not everyone has the internet to handle it but not all internet TV services drop out like Now is currently doing.

As I've stated before, Vue is as solid as any sat service I've had. I've not had a single issue that I can think of since it went nationwide

And it's nice to not worry about rain knocking me out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vue was good until the dropped the Viacom channels. Also the stupid dumb streaming rules "we don't have a right to stream name of program" and it is not just sports because it is owned by some big company, a has been actor or 1 hit wonder songs is the main reason why cable and satellite will always dominate.

Are you talking about mobile streaming rights? I've not had anything blacked out in home, but I really do not watch that much TV anyway. It's certainly my possible I just haven't noticed.

Vue ran into NFL game Thursday night can't stream on NFL network but was able to download NBC sports app and use PSVue as provider and it allowed stream. Other than that haven't ran into anything blacked out.

Vue ran into NFL game Thursday night can't stream on NFL network but was able to download NBC sports app and use PSVue as provider and it allowed stream. Other than that haven't ran into anything blacked out.

I think it's pretty cool the way has set things up without the customer being slammed with added fees.
You can watch NFL on NBC and Fox without locals and also RSN from Fox.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I've had a handful of problems with Vue, probably 5 times since June I couldn't watch a show I wanted. The service wasn't down, just a particular show or recording was glitched or unavailable. But as others are saying, my Vue login enabled me to watch via a network's TV anywhere access.

By the same token I've had problems with cable co. hardware that would cause a recorded show to glitch every so often and I had to watch it on demand. If Vue ever offers all my locals, I'll never need another service.

I'm thinking of keeping both PSVue and holding onto NOW also for at least the next month and see how it evolves and improves. Even having both services I'm saving around $60 over satellite with Directv which I've cancelled. Vue is really impressive I could live with as is but missing a couple channels.

Now seemed to hold up pretty well yesterday. Gonna try it tonight during TWD.

I'm thinking of keeping both PSVue and holding onto NOW also for at least the next month and see how it evolves and improves. Even having both services I'm saving around $60 over satellite with Directv which I've cancelled. Vue is really impressive I could live with as is but missing a couple channels.

I'd go with another provider but I guess I see ATT as having the best shot at getting Sunday Ticket or at least the majority of my RSN's at some point. Losing the Viacom channels was a major hit for Vue.

As for performance. Yesterday was the worst day since launch for me. Pretty much unwathchable until around 7PM and even then still not great.

Reactions: reddice

There will certainly be a DVR fee tacked on once it comes out. Because its what they do and supported in announcement.

During the announcement event it clearly stated that DirecTV Now will have price increases as features or channels are added. - See more at: http://cordcuttersnews.com/report-directv-now-prices-likely-increase/#sthash.RHwlK0yz.dpuf

I didn't think it would get worse but it did. NFL games and pre game shows blacked out on local channels that were not blacked out last week. WTF?!!!

Reactions: reddice
I think Internet streaming is really just the first phase of what ATT is doing with the DirecTV NOW platform -- I think this is part of their long term strategy to get out of the business of making set top boxes. They've been heading that way with the RVU-ready TVs and tuner-less Genie clients -- but I think they're seeing it doesn't make sense for them to keep spinning new hardware every time a new capability comes out (3D, 4k, whatever comes next). Not only is it expensive to build a bunch of box variations for a single company to use, but they have to maintain stock, have techs manage compatibility, etc. It's much easier if you can go to your local store and get the latest AppleTV, FireTV, Roku, whatever box that provides the capabilities that you want as a consumer.

They've telegraphed already that they're looking at providing the capability for DirecTV receivers to switch to an Internet stream when the satellite signal drops. This "platform" that they've built would give them the perfect opportunity to do that -- currently the DirecTV NOW app connects to the service and then gets directed to the nearest Akamai cache endpoint, but it wouldn't take much for them to code these apps to pull from a data source on your home network.

There have been mentions of the new HS17 device coming out from DirecTV that's listed as a "Genie" device. I think what you're going to see is a box that will take video data off the satellites (and maybe multicast from ATT's cell network?) and serve it to DirecTV Now apps running on devices in the home. This saves a ton of Internet bandwidth usage, provides consistent quality, and will allow for interesting things in the future. If the local server is unavailable for any reason (weather impacting sat delivery, or you leave the house) they just have to code the app to switch back to an Internet video source.

How do local channels work? What if I travel with an Apple TV?

I'm looking for info on this as well. Given where I live I will likely be stuck with Philly locals which are as relevant to me as locals for Juneau, Alaska. So hoping I'll be able to "move" to NYC and get those locals as I have been doing with DirecTV and then Dish the last 14 years. Guessing locals with DirecTV Now will be IP based so will likely have to use a VPN that allows me to change my location. Anyone have any insight on this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)