Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys has learned that the new IPTV service DIRECTV Now will officially launch on November 4th.

An email has just gone out to some supervisors and techs explaining the new service.

SatelliteGuys has obtained a copy of this email and has included it below in its entirety.

---

As you may have heard, AT&T is launching a new over-the-top (OTT) service called DIRECTV NOW on November 4, 2016. OTT services provide potential customers with a streaming-only option when they are unable to have traditional DIRECTV or U-Verse TV service installed.

Though DIRECTV NOW does not require professional installation, technicians may want to be aware of the service and what it entails. For instances where a DIRECTV or U-Verse installation cannot be completed due to line-of-sight, landlord permission or other issues, technicians can provide information on the DIRECTV NOW service and let customers know they can visit directvnow.com to learn more.

Please note that DIRECTV NOW is a completely separate offering from traditional DIRECTV and U-Verse and should only be mentioned to customers when those services cannot be installed. If the customer is able to receive broadcast TV service, technicians should not proactively mention DIRECTV NOW as it is redundant with the DIRECTV and U-Verse Apps, which still offer streaming capabilities to subscribers of the DIRECTV and U-Verse TV services respectively.

Key points to keep in mind for DIRECTV NOW:

• The DIRECTV App is still available to DIRECTV satellite TV customers. DIRECTV NOW is a completely separate service.
  • No set-top box is required to utilize DIRECTV NOW. Instead, customers can stream content via iOS and Android mobile devices, Web browsers, as well as streaming media players that connect to the TV like Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Stick, and Chromecast. More streaming options are expected to be available in the future.
  • DIRECTV NOW offers programming packages that are similar to those of traditional DIRECTV service. No annual contract is required. Add-on packages like HBO are also available. More information is available at directvnow.com.
  • Customers need high-speed broadband service to stream content at a high quality. It is recommended that DIRECTV NOW be used with 12 Mbps broadband at a minimum.
  • Customers can take advantage of a free 7 day trial by visiting directvnow.com if they are unsure whether they have broadband service capable of streaming content, or just want to get a feel for the service.

It is recommended that DIRECTV NOW be used with 12 Mbps broadband at a minimum.

Ouch.... I think Sling recommends 5mbps for a single stream (more is better obviously).

Vue is 10mbps with 5mbps for each additional stream.

I guess they want to give the best picture possible. I don't think any of the modern streaming boxes or phones support HEVC, if they did they could get the same PQ in about 4 Mbps.

So this is a service for those who cant get regular satellite service only?

It's probably needed by many, but we're a third world nation when it comes to Internet connection speed even in communities near large cities. So it will be a fix for many, but nowhere near all.

If only AT&T could convince some ISPs to invest in their infrastructure so that 12 MBPS would be achievable and affordable. And those caps that ISPs are putting out there will also be a hindrance. Oh wait..AT&T is the ISP I'm referring to.

I'd love to see more details about price points, packages, what channels are in each package, etc.

I wonder if they will use this for rain/snow fade backup? They will need to do something when DTV goes all HD in 2019, since HD stays out longer in bad weather.

This service will be a big test to see just how far a company can go with zero rating their content, no doubt that is one of the driving forces behind this rollout; to see exactly what the FCC will do in response.

I wonder if they will use this for rain/snow fade backup? They will need to do something when DTV goes all HD in 2019, since HD stays out longer in bad weather.
It's because of Ka band usage that rain fade is worst, if they move the most popular HD channels to the Ku satellites at 101 that problem is greatly reduced.

Reactions: goaliebob99
How am I supposed to know more if I go to directvnow.com, but I am required to put in a username and password before they let me enter the website?

How am I supposed to know more if I go to directvnow.com, but I am required to put in a username and password before they let me enter the website?
Can't until Nov 4 I imagine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts